Any Forums UNWOUND TOURNAMENT - QUARTERFINALS

hi anons, pic rel is the results from last round. vote on the quarterfinals round here:
forms.gle/NbF3zwZqtWVwVJ3o6
heres a stats rundown:
BIGGEST UPSET: the only upset last round was Below the Salt (30th seed) defeating Off This Century (14th seed).
BIGGEST BLOWOUT: also Below the Salt vs. Off This Century. Below the Salt won in a 13-2 vote.
CLOSEST MATCH: October All Over took the win over Dragnalus by just one vote, 9-8. which are coincidentally the same numbers as their seeds.
ALBUMS: with Dragnalus, Hexenzsene, and Envelope out, Fake Train and New Plastic Ideas are gone. it's just Leaves Turn and Repetition now, but Leaves Turn dominates with 7 out of the top 8 songs (everything except Corpse Pose).
vote up my dudes

Attached: unwoundtournamentelite8.png (1024x716, 263.03K)

bump

I'm sorry, but Corpse Pose ain't better than Lady Elect

hi!

not sure if I agree, but imo they’re of similar quality and two of unwounds best tracks
what’s up

Treachery is the best track from LTIY wtf

don’t think I’ve ever heard that take. imo it’s middle of the pack
(and if I voted I honestly would’ve picked laugh track over it first round don’t bully pls)

It's practically all Leaves... Not a bad thing. Also fuck Radio Gra, someone help me see the appeal in that track

Holy fuck I'm so glad Unwound is coming back

to me the appeal of radio gra is its meandering vibe. you have to be willing to deal with the repetition and understand that the song isn't necessarily gonna go anywhere crazy like terminus
i also appreciate from a theory and songwriting perspective the interesting chord progression under the "oohs", it uses chromaticism in a really cool way
i appreciate that a lot more now than the switch from 4/4 to 7/8, i used to nerd out about time sigs n stuff

You know, I always liked the textures and atmosphere in Radio Gra desu. It reminds me a little of Below the Salt (which will win this bracket btw). It's just weird enough to not be a popular favorite, but manages to create an unsettling atmosphere that just blends into the rest of the album. It's good, but I don't know how I feel about the time signature bit -- i'm more drawn in by texture

yeah thats a good point. the textures and timbres on the entire album are insane. radio gra specifically feels a bit more lo-fi than some of the other tracks, i wonder if that was on purpose to make the transition out from the sample at the beginning make more sense
>Below the Salt (which will win this bracket btw)
its lookin real strong rn thats for sure. i have a feeling the finals will be below the salt vs. terminus

I'll just be happy if October All Over makes it any further, but there's no way it's going to beat Corpse Pose. Corpse Pose is probably their most mainstream song

It deserved better

Attached: Unwound - Challenge For a Civilized Society.jpg (1200x1200, 391.01K)

damn right, underrated record
sucks they all died first round but desu if i was voting i would've picked the same thing. they had some rough matchups first round. except i would pick sonata for loudspeakers over demons sing love songs. def my favorite off that record, honestly not even entirely sure why

For me it's The World is Flat. That marching drum line to start is the best. They really show what they can do with their rhythm section on that track.

Honestly Sonata is still a more engaging track than World. That plodding drum to start is based. And then those slacking chords come in and it's based

Sonata for Loudspeakers has so much tension in it

glad you both appreciate sonata
world is flat is a great track too but i think some other unwound songs showcase how unique their rhythm section is a little better. devoid is one of those songs for me, i thinks its underrated as fuck. that over the bar line drum beat is really cool

always thought december was one of the weaker songs on LITY... very surprised it came this far. also I would love to see Demons overcome Below the Salt but I don't think thatll happen
treachery is defintely better than summer freeze... no idea how that happened

i agree about december. i guess people are suckers for that vern bass riff. imo december is a weaker track than everything it won against in bracket, i would have picked swan over it first round

honourosis vs corpse pose that early is fucked, two of their best songs. out of the ones left it's december for me