Generative music is the future

Generative music is the future.

What's your favorite generative music? I like MusiNum compositions quite a bit and am using the fractal algorithm as the basis for my generative algorithm I'm using to compose my upcoming EP which will revolutionize music.

Attached: MusiNum_1.png (448x368, 12.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/127C1zPQ3m3z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Generative music is a meme like live coding and academic laptop orchestra bullshit.

Pleb I bet you listen to rock

This is my album

Attached: 1A84CB74-B4A0-40DC-B08D-E3129766F4C4.png (2000x2000, 416.29K)

If you're using an algorithm you aren't "composing" anything.

Writing the algorithm is still composition, just through a layer of abstraction. Grow some braincells.

No, I produce and compose. I also use modular synths/generative environments to create ideas, loops, and drafts of whole compositions; however, I edit everything heavily until it sounds intentional. While it's obviously possible to generate a whole composition from a set of rules, I feel like that defeats the purpose of using algorithms or modular synths in the creative process. I've recently used Bespoke to experiment with fully generative composition, and I honestly still think I'd need to edit them down in order for them to make complete musical sense. I still don't really see the point, other than maybe helping you to "start" during periods of creative difficulty.

The layer of abstraction is what makes algorithmic composition a pointless flex for most composers. It's not like you're a legitimate polymath like xenakis. If you're actually great at math and have success in both mathematics and music composition, I could understand why it would be a big part of your process, but otherwise it's the kind of thing Uncreative Pseuds do.

>No, I produce and compose. I also use modular synths/generative environments to create ideas, loops, and drafts of whole compositions;
Nice

>however, I edit everything heavily until it sounds intentional.
Lame. Let the numbers speak for themselves, they don't need your shitty limitations and biases to impose themselves on the purity of their expression. Typical of cis men

Btw what's your modular setup like? I have one nearly filled eurorack but it was expensive as fuck so I can't afford any more gear for now. It's still a lot of fun though. I'm going to use it on my upcoming EP.

post music

vocaroo.com/127C1zPQ3m3z
Here is a short sample generated from a prototype of my WIP algorithm I'll be using to compose my new EP.

I don't get it... Why don't you just have the balls to make music on your own and develop your own personal style instead of letting a machine do the work?
I mean, I know there's the technique of "supervised randomness", but is it really enough to fuel an entire EP with that? What makes music interesting is the human being behind it, isn't it?

>What makes music interesting is the human being behind it, isn't it?
No. Generative algorithmic music has the potential to liberate the world of sound from human bias, which limits music into a narrow trench. Also, the EP is going to be more than just this algorithm.

>I don't get it...
Clearly.

Is that the halo theme song

Artists have been promising generative music as the future for like 50 years at least. When are we supposed to expect it?

I use vcv rack.

No

this idealistic bullshit is as old as electronic music, when a lot of people thought that human inaccuracy could be overcome by meticulously determining every parameter. But it failed, as you know. But it told us a valuable lesson: music is just a vessel to connect the listener to the mind of the composer. Your music can only be as good as you.

lol not with that UI

Wrong, also not the point I was making. Open your mind.

any system is essentially an algorithm
blindly knob twiring a black box is somewhat less impressive than other forms of composition
but
the aleatory can be found anywhere, which both supports and does not support black boxes
frusciante had a great essay about composition as something relative to how his hands moved and how he had to step away from the guitar to change that
but he took the website down i think -ages ago

interesting thesis, though not sure i agree

Pic related is an old program, MusiNum. My algorithm actually runs from the command line and has no UI.

even worse lol

Not if you know how to use computers. UIs are for people who need colorful buttons to be able to navigate a program.

clickety clack get off my back i am an actual artist of phenomena

im half joking for fun, but gotta go hope your thread lasts bye!