/phc/ Post-Hardcore General

alright it's time for the good thread, post your top 3 and some recent favorites.

>saccharine trust - surviving you, always
>husker du - zen arcade
>slint - tweez

>recent favorites
youtube.com/watch?v=nrauCPDXP0E
youtube.com/watch?v=BLH8Ij8V0P8
youtube.com/watch?v=rTi4fwmgqtY

Attached: R-1233426-1373073829-2683.jpeg.jpg (500x504, 89.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_-vw3uqj8
youtube.com/watch?v=ySilQPsUYT4
youtube.com/watch?v=FHiJT6dCMWg
youtu.be/2fYbp27-xWk
youtu.be/p7gYipg-LNM
youtube.com/watch?v=tvOwXrx6--I
youtube.com/watch?v=9A7bzGf9Qe4
youtube.com/watch?v=Fxom3Xa-1oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oNP6bQLrBz8
youtube.com/watch?v=1xlIzdLFZTA
youtube.com/watch?v=hOQJzCpqPHg
youtu.be/NoANkPAs4cM
youtu.be/o6sJfWpEhQQ
youtu.be/yzBUYzk-PDQ
youtu.be/sQB3QvtRmqo
youtu.be/uxVXOU-LY9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9BMmm0lmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

metz arent my favorite band but i respect them a lot cause they came from the canadian phc scene which im a huge fan of. hayden menzies was in this band called three penny opera with the drummer from shotmaker
youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_-vw3uqj8
in terms of recent faves ive been listening to this tintoretto ep a ton. i betray my friends has became one of my favorite songs ever after multiple relistens
youtube.com/watch?v=ySilQPsUYT4
also been diggin this project by sprain, def one of my favorite projects of the last couple years (this dropped in 2020)
youtube.com/watch?v=FHiJT6dCMWg
i respect your all time fave picks but personally im not a huge fan of the 80s phc sound for whatever reason. ughhhh idk if i could pick a top3 all time thats super tough. if so it might be
>blake - self titled lp
>no knife - fire in the city of automatons (more indie but still counts maybe?)
>cole - idea of city

i find it wierd that zen arcade is considered post hardcore these days, its kind of the peak of straight up hardcore leaning into alt rock to me. phc is such a wide genre tho so it makes sense
pretty pleb choices but for me its probably nation of ulysses for old school phc and the first glassjaw for the more new school sound.

since you said 3 ill throw in a wildcard:
youtu.be/2fYbp27-xWk

ah that's cool I was into all of your faves a lot within the last year or so. that era of artists has a lot more favorites of mine but the 80s phc is still so nostalgic for me
that tintoretto song is sick

Attached: 16582959075444380372633678750130.jpg (4080x3072, 2.03M)

youtu.be/p7gYipg-LNM

A shame these guys never topped their debut. What a great slab of German Post-Hardcore.

Attached: 7633988-.jpg (2400x2387, 3.89M)

youtube.com/watch?v=tvOwXrx6--I
youtube.com/watch?v=9A7bzGf9Qe4
youtube.com/watch?v=Fxom3Xa-1oQ

youtube.com/watch?v=oNP6bQLrBz8

any good phc/post rock you guys know of?

Attached: 00.jpg (300x300, 29.48K)

>two nuns and a pack mule
>1000 hurts
>songs about fucking
now excuse me while I go make a cold cut sandwich

>three penny opera
nice this some gold
does slowcore stuff count? abline are really good
youtube.com/watch?v=1xlIzdLFZTA
as far as german phc goes I think this has to be the best
youtube.com/watch?v=hOQJzCpqPHg
>boilermaker
absolute classics, they aged like fine wine
>stumpy
this is cool stuff, noisy and raw just like the earlier phc bands. had no cluethe duster guitarist started with phc

Foreign Bronze is really good. I need to cop that.

My philosophy about trips is to put it on when I've done some digging and listened to a bunch of stuff and think I know a little about what I'm talking about.

All Time Favorites:
>Shotmaker - The Crayon Club
>Rockets Red Glare - Moonlight Desires
>Jawbox - Novelty
>Flower - Concrete
>that Abilene record (GD?) mentioned

Recent Favorites:
>April Psalm
youtu.be/NoANkPAs4cM
>Dynamic Truths
youtu.be/o6sJfWpEhQQ
>Blue Chair
youtu.be/yzBUYzk-PDQ

I'm gonna mention Fine Day bc I'm greedy and I forgot
youtu.be/sQB3QvtRmqo

>My philosophy about trips is to put it on when I've done some digging and listened to a bunch of stuff and think I know a little about what I'm talking about.
I used to care more about it but this board is usually so dead it just makes me sad. you've been a lot more active lately that's cool though
I didn't realize that jawbox album was one of your favorites, that's a good pick. I still have to listen to rockets red glare

Some people seem to find that RRG record boring. They work around a modal harmony during elongated stretches where they traverse through different melodic progressions and syncopated rhythms. It's not for everybody. But I love it. It reminds me of 70's Miles Davis records.

It feels weird pick that Jawbox record since they got better after that. But those songs feel anthemic: soaring and triumphant. And Bill's vocals/harmonies seem more prominent.

btw I count the Tongues 7" that came with the Novelty CD. That's what really puts it over the top for me.
youtu.be/uxVXOU-LY9Y

Attached: jawboxtongues.jpg (805x900, 321K)

>They work around a modal harmony during elongated stretches where they traverse through different melodic progressions and syncopated rhythms
>modal phc
sounds really interesting, and right up my alley. I feel like I remember not being able to find a good slsk dl for this years ago

I haven't listened to any of jawbox's later stuff, I came to novelty just from J. Robbins' involvement with government issue. my favorite has to be static

also those april psalm and blue chair links are great. definitely some releases I'll be listening to a few more times soon

hey pen, i think i remember you saying you weren't a huge fan of rrg's self titled record, but what do you think of their redshift / halifax single? it might be my favorite rrg project, i like the lo-fi production and the choatic shuffly drum beats
youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9BMmm0lmw

fuck i keep forgetting to take OP off when i post im not the OP of this thread

>this board is usually so dead it just makes me sad.
That's funny; I treat it as a welcome limiting factor so I don't end up wasting too much time here. If I really need to get something out, I'll start a thread myself. The level of conversation has always been terrible. It may have become a little worse lately, but it's nothing compared to 2018 /polmu/.
If you mean that the board is slow, that could be a good thing for the people who care about niche genres to keep a conversation going. When I posted, this thread had been dead for almost 5 hours.
Judging from the chart threads, I've been seeing decent interest in 90's phc & emo here lately. But that might be a skewed sample. Still seems promising for these threads if we can keep them alive (with a popular OP pic).

>modal phc sounds really interesting, and right up my alley
They don't take it too far, so you might temper expectations about modality.

Halifax is the greatest Blake song they never wrote under that name. Even better than Lamplight. That main riff is fun as fuck.
B-side is great, too.
I tried again with the first LP recently. It just dragged on and on for me. I have a similar problem with Hurl. But they got better with Taking Pictures.

i actually haven't heard hurl or taking pictures, ill have to check em out
i like the self titled rrg record so i probably wont hate hurl