What's the deal about this album?

I thought I would give Radiohead a try, since I never really listened to them before, and since a lot of people say, that 'In Rainbows' is their best work, I thought I'd start there.

I honestly don't get, why so many people hail this album as one of the all-time-best.
It is a good album, especially the mixing is done extremely well in my opinion. But I was honestly expecting more.
The people I've talked to before who listen to Radiohead said stuff like "They're music is just much more sonically richer than others", and that's the thought I went into this album with.

I just didn't really find that. Tracks like 'Nude', 'Weird Fishes' and 'Faust Arp' are great, so is the album finisher 'Videotape'. The other tracks are also good and certainly musically interesting, but that's it, nothing that would make it one of the best of all time.

Nigel Godrich deserves the most praise for this album, in my opinion. The mixing is just so on point, few other works come close to it. I do have to say that.
And the artistic idea around the release of the album is also something I have to give credit to.

Am I just too retarded to get this album, or is it actually just overhyped?

>inb4 wow, what shitty bait

Attached: Inrainbowscover.png (316x316, 271.23K)

in rainbows is a piece of shit. listen to ok computer and kid a and then drop em. greenwood's soundtracks are more worth your time.

It's their best. More soul than Kid A less whine than OKC.

Radiohead is one of those bands where you have to listen to the album a couple of times to appreciate from my experience. Try going back to it in a week or so. All I need and Weird Fishes is great imo

literally their best album and if you disagree u have 0 taste sry bud

desu i also think it's way overhyped. i really like jigsaw falling into place off of it, that's about it. definitely think ok computer is better, and honestly the only radiohead album i don't like better than in rainbows is tkol

ok computer - i sleep
the bends - woke

Reckoner betta

*to be honest, i always forget word acronyms autocorrect to stupid shit

In Rainbows is good but I wouldn't call it anywhere near a favorite of mine. It does the whole "existential dread set to pretty music" thing fine but I find A Moon Shaped Pool to be more musically nuanced and their output from OK Computer to Hail to the Thief more thematically engaging with all the fearmongering. If anything, I think In Rainbows is a return to the warmth and accessibility of The Bends but that's mostly what I get out of it.

It's one of their more 'pop' albums, You should've started with the bends or somthing. Ok Computer or Kid A are way more aclaimed than this btw, IR appeals to girl fans.

IR is just the "millennial Radiohead album" in general.

YEAH I
I'LL HIT THE BOTTOM
HIT THE BOTTOM AND ITS GAY
ITS GAY

Many of my favorite albums have gone from just "musically interesting" to mindblowing. Give it a few more shots and if you don't like it, move on. In Rainbows is a fantastic album in my opinion, but it's not the quintessential Radiohead album, meaning it doesn't typify their sound. Try Ok Computer or Kid A before you dismiss the band.

Rxddit answer, consider gassing yourself.
It's overhyped, as is pretty much every other RH album, but it's contextually the comfiest and soulful of the bunch, it's not that tryhard or forced like King of Limbs, you just pop it in and have a nice time vibing to it, literally only Reckoner would be considered as something akin to OKC or HTTT in terms of its "muh bring power down" forced lyricism.

Disk 2 is filled with those types of songs though so you've been warned.

Reckoner always struck me as being more about meeting death face to face and wanting him to take you. If any song on IR reminds me of older Radiohead it's Bodysnatchers.

Isn't the concept of In Rainbows unrequitted love? Why would it be political?

It isn't, that's part of what makes it stand out that far into their career. Still, old habits die hard.

Shitty bait kys

It's good, user. It's also the easiest (along with The Bends) RH album to get into. Like that other user said, you just put it on and have a good time. If you want more interesting and diverse stuff you can listen to OKC, but if you've already listened to this one then give it a few more listens and see how much you enjoy the songs.

It's not inherently nor explicitly political but it very much has the vibe of trakcs like Dollars and Cents or Scatterbrain.

I enjoy this album, though I was kind if surprosed when people started calling it better than OK Computer and Kid A. But I'm also not much of a Radiohead fan overall, so I kind of get it now. In Rainbows takes what they were doing in the handful of albums prior to it and made that sou d more accessible to the masses. It's Radiohead's version of a pop album.

I think it's just the change in aesthetic from their previous gloomy albums

Imagine going from listening to Thom Yorke wail and moan about how depressed and alienated he feels to hearing him hitting falsettos in ethereal songs about love and sensuality

Good point. The way Hail to the Thief ends on such a bitter-sounding song only proves you even more correct.

The songs on this album are good, but it feels too easy to lose interest if you replay them too much. I loved listening to Jigsaw Falling Into Place for a solid month, and now I haven't listened to the thing in years.