Best opeth album

>best opeth album
>why

for me its
>Ghost Reveries
the potential autism for concept album material is great, songs feel like how theyre titled and the stories that they have and weave together, like Harlequin Forests incredible feeling of this intense chase through a misleading and treacherous forest with the servants of hell behind you at every step, and Grand Conjuration literally sounds how its titled, i can visualize this huge ritual going on, and the alchemical reactions bubbling and exploding as hell spawn appear from the depths of the smoke and flames all around whoever the protag is in the story for reveries.

Attached: image_2022-07-19_064944213.png (300x300, 111.16K)

>RIFFS and OUGHS
>cold, grim and unpolished sound

Attached: orchid.jpg (1500x1500, 126.24K)

always loved the black metal vocal perspective and the fact that its In Standard. thats the only thing i dislike about ghost reveries, playing it is a pain in the ass lol. fucking stupid tuning.

While it's a bit of pain to play it, it's a great exercise in playing alternate tunings. I had one of my guitars in the Ghost Reveries tuning for about half a year and I came up with some pretty cool riffs. I love Ghost Reveries, Harlequin Forest is amazing.
Orchid, on the other hand, it's pure fun to play.

excellent album, my favourite for those reasons too. has the most beautiful acoustic parts an any of their albums too.

not my absolute favourite, but wanna praise this album. it's by far the best newpeth album. i'm hoping their next one is similar.

Attached: 13. In Cauda Venenum.jpg (1400x1400, 328.58K)

Hope you're listening to the Swedish version.

i would agree but im gonna be totally honest here no fake fan bullshit but i havent listened to any album after watershed. i just, dont care?

i am not, because i don't speak sweedish.

completely understandable. i know what it's like to be content and feel like you've had your fill with a band. hell, i didn't even give newpeth a chance until this came out and i was enticed by the album cover.

see whats funny is ive kinda learned guitar in reverse if that makes sense. i learned like general technique and more technical stuff first, and am only coming around to theory and what not all these years later. i actually played almost exclusively in alt tuning for a long time because i liked them more because they made guitar easier and more fun but ive really started to like standard.

Nor am I, but I find it a lot better. That and I love the sound of Swedish and I've never actually cared about lyrics.
Based. It sure is fun to fool around with various kind of tunings and try different chord shapes and see what they can do or come with your own shapes that otherwise sound too dissonant in standard tuning. As long as you don't go full Fripp and struggle to play simple stuff due to the tuning, it's fine.
I preferred to learn in standard tuning because many other guitarists I met don't really try something different, so it's easier to work with them. Needles to say, I am yet find someone to start a band, so I better change the tuning to one of my guitars and start writing some cool shit.

ive almost gotten into quite a few stoner metal bands funnily enough, even though i dont smoke pot and i dont play drums which is what every time ive been asked to play in stoner or doom bands lol. pretty fun genre of music really doing sleep covers and stuff gave me a perspective on playing music that i didnt really have before.

Every stoner group needs a straight edge lad. No matter what subgenre of metal one wants to play, drummers are needed.
t. met a lot of stoners

Still Life > Morningrise > Blackwater Park > Watershed > Orchid > Deliverance > My Arms, Your Hearse > Ghost Reveries > Damnation > Heritage > Sorceress > In Cauda Venenum > Pale Communion

I'll always be a BWP man myself and I don't care if that makes me basic. The drumming, even though it apparently was done by a session musician, was still fantastic. It was also my first Opeth album so I'm a little biased.

Attached: Blackwaterpark.jpg (300x300, 34.14K)

I like all of the metal era albums but blackwater park still shines the brightest. Ghost Reveries is nice for the more spacy chill parts.

For me? It's Still Life.

I feel like without the growling in songs, Ackerfeldt has lost
the balance of the music, he sings clean for the whole song now
but a lot of the melodies just don't hit anymore.
Which is weird because Damnation is perfect,
but it's like he over compensates and doesn't focus on melody
or whatever who cares.

But some of the vocals are just obnoxious.

In Cauda had better melodies out of all the new Opeth stuff
But you have to keep asking yourself all the time
if you like it really, nothing grabs you

Opeth would be great if they ditched the hliarious growly demon vocal shit and grew the fuck up.
it cracks me up everytime

You mean all of their post watershed albums?