Redpill me on classical music

redpill me on classical music

Attached: _pepebach.jpg (1200x1200, 117.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/i-challenge-you-to-get-into-classical-music-with-these-10-records/
rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/dead-white-men-a-guide-to-classical-music/
open.spotify.com/album/74mMtzCWmIsWjotFDf8403
rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/i-challenge-you-to-get-into-classical-music-with-these-10-records
youtube.com/watch?v=pvfOapCCU1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=P0GzNmf_AUw
youtube.com/watch?v=is8ejYX_Vw4
youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8
youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4
youtube.com/watch?v=L85XTLr5eBE
youtube.com/watch?v=Td-cUkR1Tu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I found the guides by Nakkinak to be really good intros into classical. Makes it easy to find the best recordings of the biggies
Start with these ten recs:
rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/i-challenge-you-to-get-into-classical-music-with-these-10-records/
This is a great reference
rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/dead-white-men-a-guide-to-classical-music/
And there's books and shit too

it's shit

Most classical music was awful and soulless. The pieces we still listen to today were written by those who didn't follow the borderline martial standards of their peers. They were well instructed and trained to make music, but used more of their instinct and "wrong" methods. This is highlighted in the famous movie Amadeus where Salieri struggles to understand how somebody like Mozart, who lives a hedonistic lifestyle and writes music recklessly, could be more famous and respected than himself, who does all the "correct" things.
This can be used as a valuable chunk of wisdom for the modern struggling artist. Although we live in a time where music is more experimental and unorthodox than ever before, are you pushing the envelope? or are you trying to make music you think other people will like based on what "works?"

Absolutely retarded.

>Treats the movie Amadeus as a historical document.

If you are the kind of person for it, it will change your life. Well worth at least trying to get into it.

What is there to redpill? Start with Bach's Works for Lute and go from there

You either like it or not, no need to be a faggot about it
open.spotify.com/album/74mMtzCWmIsWjotFDf8403

why does everyone recommend starting with Bach all the time?

chopin/Schubert all the way baby. hell, even mendelssohn

>rateyourmusic.com/list/Nakkinak/i-challenge-you-to-get-into-classical-music-with-these-10-records

>puts the complete symphonies by mahler in there

Why are Mahler fans like this?

It's not universal. Yes, you can like fragments of the most famous and catchy pieces but for truly appreciate it you must be instructed into music.

i want to find classical music that reflects my feelings of despair, but as of yet have found nothing (with the exception of wagner's prelude to tristan und isolde). recs would be appreciated

Webern opus 6
Shostakovich string quartet 15
And have you listened to the prelude of act 3 of Tristan?

thank you very much; i have not

It's a very vague umbrella term which encompasses hundreds of different genres and styles. I refuse to believe there isn't something in there for every person to enjoy; you could be a baroque opera kind of person, or really into contemporary or modernist stuff, or into obscure romantic composers, you'll never know till you try. However, most of it is derivative and unknown or lost, but what remains is a few hundred outstanding individuals who made some of the best music ever.
Is correct.
I'm also not fond of people saying you need some kind of special knowledge to get into it. All you need is either context or just finding what sounds good to you and continue from there. When I started listening, I had no idea what a scale or sonata form was, but I found a few composers that I enjoyed and have never looked back.

How much despair are we talking about? Because I feel like the more dissonance there is the bleaker it gets. Try these (the first one isn't so dissonant)
youtube.com/watch?v=pvfOapCCU1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=P0GzNmf_AUw
youtube.com/watch?v=is8ejYX_Vw4
youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8
youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4
youtube.com/watch?v=L85XTLr5eBE
youtube.com/watch?v=Td-cUkR1Tu8

true, but the music that is remembered is usually that which pushed boundaries

Bach
Mozart
Beethoven
Liszt
Chopin
Wagner
Debussy

etc.

These people all pushed music forward and are rightly remembered among the greats

It literally happened sweetie

It's funny but Bach was considered old-fashioned in his time.

i've given each a cursory listening-to, and found the second piece you listed to be very enjoyable, so thanks for that. the first was a bit too disjointed for my taste, but that may be due to my underdeveloped pallette, idk.
we're dealing with a fair bit of despair; i hate to be melodramatic, but to be frank i am on the brink of suicide following an intensely unpleasant development in my life. i'm going to give these a go and let you know what i think, thanks for the recommendations

a simple way to start exploring: pick a composer... you can google "chronological list of composers" and find a list
go to wiki, look up a list of their compositions, sample a few of each type genre and go from there
once you're familiar with the kind of thing you want to hear more of, for example you realize you like solo lute music but hate solo keyboard music, visit prestomusic and look up which recordings exist, they have pretty long samples for each track. then go download or stream what strikes your fancy

the problem with Classical Music and where most people get overwhelmed is that it's a term that covers so many different genres over such a long period of time. So first familiarize yourself with the periods and the genres... no point forcing yourself to listen to full albums of choral music if it does nothing for you.

If you're a reader a fun intro to the topic is Harold Schonberg's Lives of the Great Composers which combines anecdotes with historical context and opinions on the merits of their work.

Attached: 432reh.jpg (256x256, 13.84K)