Why is the fanbase and community for doom metal so separate from the rest of metal?

Why is the fanbase and community for doom metal so separate from the rest of metal?

Attached: file.png (1100x1100, 2.03M)

They are so slow that they lag behind.

Retention of psychedelia/weed culture from the 60s, emphasis on blues based playing, and first subgenre to devolve into its own self-referential memes. Nothing exciting has happened in doom since Vol. 4 by Sabbath.

doom is a lot more than DUDE WEED LMAO acid bong witch youtube landfill stonershit though (really that stuff is a lot more psychedelic rock than it is metal anyway). Its pretty obvious for the stoner side of doom but what about the more extreme and experimental styles within doom like drone and sludge? Why are they still so separate from the rest of metal?

Because they are not so distant from stoner stuff as you think really, kek. Stop coping. Neurosis and Sleep were in the same scene for fuck's sake

Because it's an evolution of the heavy seventies, it's essentially blues rock. (and that makes it better than metal)
NWOBHM and Iron Maiden never happened for these guys, and thank god for that

I don't know
Death/Doom is pretty common

Death/Doom, Funeral Doom and Gothic Doom are not true doom

then neither is burning witch

Burning Witch is just slower sludge with drone influences, and it's debatable if sludge is doom or not, but sure as shit closer than faggy ass Death/Doom

yeah this, sabbathian doom is true doom, so stuff like sludge, stoner, drone, trad and the like is what i'd consider "true" Gothic, Death, and Funeral has its roots in extreme metal rather than Black Sabbath.

you are a colossal fucking retard, Burning Witch is true Sabbathian doom in its most pure and crystallised form.

>Burning Witch is true Sabbathian doom in its most pure and crystallised form.
this just isn't true and you look silly being angry about something that you don't understand

ok mr expert please use your expertise as a tripfag (I bow down to you) and explain to me why burning witch is in fact not true doom. I am waiting.

yeah pack it up

You know, i'm going to argue in his stead, point one is that Burning Witch, like most sludge, has a strong extreme metal/hardcore input, the same thing you criticize in Death/Doom and its derivatives, and you can hear this influence strongly it in the vocals and the general artistic direction of the band, and also in the work that the members of the band would do after it with Sunn O))). In fact I would say spin off band Goatsnake is more 'Sabbathian' than Burning Witch by a mile, for they are a fusion of 80's trad doom with hard rock

because, along with doom it has sludge and drone riffs which originated separately from traditional doom metal. Assuming you mean traditional doom metal by 'true doom' which was never a thing and is trying to be like 'trve' black metal, doom metal has never been popular enough to need angry gate keeping. Luckily people just leave traditional doom metal alone and you can easily avoid the stoner bands.

Traditional Doom metal is quite a small genre with bands like reverend bizarre, saint vitus, trouble, pentagram, early sabbath, revelation. if you don't mean traditional doom metal by 'true doom' then what do you mean?

also, dont get me wrong, I like burning witch. (I just don't understand what you are getting at by calling them 'true doom')

>'true doom' which was never a thing
Reverend Bizarre sure acted like it was

And to me the the idea of trad doom is kind of silly as well. Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass, none of them even inhabited the same universes nor would classify their music as such. Matter of fact they don't sound like each other at all other than "slow riffs" and Sabbath influence. It's funny to put Pentagram in the same subgenre as Candlemass even

as much as I love the band, the 'circle of true doom thing' was pretty silly. Goofy finnish people. but I doubt the burning witch user is talking about the COTD because it was just a few bands that were friends with each other and obviously sounded nothing like burning witch

Candlemass are epic doom. but yeah it is silly. Traditional doom metal is a very loose genre and the bands seem to be grouped more by ideological and aesthetic classifications than if the bands sound similar. But anyway, burning witch doesn't fit into that despite how loose the genre is

> if you don't mean traditional doom metal by 'true doom' then what do you mean?
I said in an earlier response, doom that primarily draws its influence from black sabbath. I was saying that in contrast to death, gothic, and funeral doom which another user tried to suggest. I got like that cause i thought you were trying to have a go at Burning Witch. Sorry.

The difference is though while death-doom and its derivatives are PRIMARILY based in extreme metal, Burning Witch PRIMARILY draws from traditional sabbathian doom, with input from hardcore and extreme metal. The hardcore and extreme metal influences are used to further bolster the more traditional doom elements. I say that Burning Witch is doom metal in its purest form because no other band manages to achieve that level of gloom, despair, and hopelessness. The music of Burning Witch to me accesses the deepest and darkest recesses of the human mind and draws out all sorts of repressed emotions. Nothing else encapsulates the ESSENCE of doom quite like Burning Witch.