Serious question. Does modern music suck or are we just too old to appreciate songs made for teenagers?

Serious question. Does modern music suck or are we just too old to appreciate songs made for teenagers?

Attached: img_677.jpg (600x450, 43.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

organblender.bandcamp.com/album/teemu-khan-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It sucks

It's a mix of both actually, i'm 26 and never cared for 90% of the new Trap/Pop music being mass made and released but to a 17 year old it may as well be like Rush or Genesis or Yes to an old fart like curry to a pisshead.

>Does modern music suck
Older music has had years (sometimes decades or centuries) of time to filter out the rabble.
The answer to "does 'x' music suck?" will always be: Yes, mostly.

Attached: hipster_fox.jpg (778x1166, 172.84K)

too much weight on production (even if it is the natural focus of recorded music in our day and age)
a shit state of affairs, really

modern pop music is objectively bad in every way except for production quality. although even the you could argue it's bad because it's all one volume the entire time.

Modern music isn't even a recording of a group of musicians playing a song. It's just a bunch of samples. Even bands who play live record their shit piece-by piece, using sneaky editing, and "reinforcing" the drums with different drums that are locked to the grid. People don't understand things like feel, tempo changes, and energy that makes music sound human. The more you try to make it sound human, the more you're overediting the velocity of every drum hit to contain the types of "strong hit, weak hit" patterns that a drummer would probably just do naturally, and a bit differently for every person. Personal style is limited by programming because much of a musician's personal style is his physical tendencies and unthinking attractions and things that are burned into his brain from doing them often.

2016-20 was bizarrely awful but it's past, thankfully the pandemic was (in a manner of speaking) the Great Reset and killed off the Billie Eilishes of the world.

this is true. I'll add on by saying that it's also lead to the desire for "perfect" performances and also "perfect" production (for instance "vocals must always be in the center"). this further removes character and humanity from the performances and also from the production.

is the only song you listen to Imagine Dragons--Thunder?

so, for instance, why does autotune exist? why would anyone ever want to use it? you would only ever want to use it if you think that the purpose of singing is to hit a sequence of notes perfectly on pitch, but that, of course, is not the purpose of singing.

>we
speak for yourself, homo. i'm a boomer and i like a lot of current music.

man people were complaining in the 80s about pop production being too plastic. you think that's new?

boomer go back to Youtube and post on a Clapton comment section

You have no idea how awful pop music was in the Oughts. I've grown up then, and I stewed in it.

That said, I don't think it would come to meet the late 60's early 70's in terms of quality and innovation.

this
there was just as much shit music in the 70s/80s/90s as there is now, except that nobody remembers it
besides the "so bad it's good" stuff, of course

I just made a modern music but who will listen?

organblender.bandcamp.com/album/teemu-khan-2

I agree with you in theory or at least I did but you're overthinking, anything is possible, it just takes passion. Our shows are thick as fuck and even though we play to a click I feel I am a conduit responding to my immediate environment and "improvising" accordingly. We work with the click and every night is a unique live moment filled with a humanity ravaging technology!

It actually sucks, even the shit from ten years ago was much better than what is being made now

the answer is there is no answer ymmv

I quote the late Agustin Barrios "I am a brother to those medieval troubadours who, in their glories and despairs, suffered such romantic madness."

>he has forgotten the bling era

I've heard some shit music from the 60s but still even the bad stuff never got 1/10th as bad as mumble rap.

>You have no idea how awful pop music was in the Oughts
the Bush years really weren't anywhere close to as putrid and just totally creatively bankrupt as 2015-19