Smarter than your favorite musician

>smarter than your favorite musician
>mogs your favorite musician
>humble, encouraged you to think for yourself
how does he do it

Attached: afdc5244ea1f906bf0a13093fdf79211.jpg (748x858, 158.46K)

I don't care for Serj Tankian.

>>smarter than your favorite musician
uhh I don't know about that, my favorite musician is Stephen Hawking (he played the proto-pic related)

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x750, 83.16K)

How can someone like OG filthy frank be too based for this world?

How did he make any money?? Did he make any money?? He just seems like a weird pretentious version of tenacious D who isn't even funny. It's like boomer t-shirt humour idk. Hard not to think he probably just coasted on hanging out with actual famous musicians and being liked by them and probably selling them on some occult bs.

> Don't eat yellow snow
> Pretentious

I hate it that normal people keep trying to encroach upon alternative spaces, and then levy accusations of pretense at anything minutely associated with high art or the avant garde, just because their fans made them feel stupid once.

Normies just pretend to know what the word "pretentious" means, completely oblivious to the irony

I don't know how else to describe it besides that it's pretentious comedy music. I've heard interesting guitar and sounds in zappa songs, but he just sounds like Barney or something. And it always is something like don't eat yellow snow or muffin man or flakes he talks about like a plumber charging him too much.

>I don't know how else to describe it besides that it's pretentious comedy music.
Zappa was a musical irony bro libertarian. He was the radical centrist of rock and roll. He mocked druggies, women's rights, moralizing christians, and government censorship. His experimental stuff sucked, too. The songs he wrote in the 70s and early 80s were way better than the material that sandwiched it.

Yes, he made lots of money. The dude lived in a fucking mansion in Laurel Canyon which IIRC now belongs to Lady Gaga. The thing about the 70s and 80s was, even if you were an alt figure with a cult fanbase, there was no internet, so, if you weren't on the radio, people had to buy your shit to listen to you (inb4 some zoomer pulls an 'ackshyually you could dub a tape')
Frank's "cult" following was a particularly large one, since his fanbase was pretty much -any- baby boomer who felt -in any way- disenfranchised or pandered to by top 40 rock n roll. Frank's albums would typically domestically sell a few hundred thousand copies each (a couple went gold within his lifetime). He did about as well internationally, with pretty strong sales in mainland Europe (wasn't uncommon for a Zappa album to sell 150-200k in Germany)
But here's the thing, here's why he made so much money: he owned the label he was on (Zappa Records), and he put out fucking 62 albums in his lifetime.
He also toured constantly in the 70s and the first half of the 80s, and it was mostly arena shows.
So, there you have it. Dude died with a net worth of $40M

that's like saying john kricfaulsi is smarter than my favorite cartoon/cartoonist and mogs him, when both are pretentious, annoying fucks

*mogs them

...guy?

man wrote some of the coolest riffs and melodies in classic rock ever and ruined them with the most retarded lyrics ever.
god bless.

I'm a gigantic Zappa fan. Probably my favorite singular musical artist.

He is in no shape or form "humble"

Don't. Not on this board.

no, not guy. Guy is an idiot weirdo who likes john k and ren and stimpy. i'm just a plain autist who hates both.

ELP, Mahavishnu Orchestra and The Residents are examples of pretentiousness in music done right. Zappa's pretentiousness is made 100x more obnoxious because he tries to overcompensate on the humor aspect to downplay the complexity of his music while still trying to shove it in your face.

>The dude lived in a fucking mansion in Laurel Canyon which IIRC now belongs to Lady Gaga
cruel world

> Goes the same lengths as all other recording artists to get his work out there
> shoving it in your face

lmao you're just looking for a reason to be a hater. If you feel attacked by someone's music, that's your problem.

Does that dude even post on /ic/ anymore? I remember looking at his sketchbook and personal blogs and being absolutely baffled by how little actual progress he was making. Hopefully he realized he spent too much time shitposting to be good at art and got his priorities in order.