Piano bros howdo you compose piano songs

I'm curious, I'm learning piano and I want to make my own songs in piano. My workflow is just making a section, transcribing it to musescore/on paper, then playing it by hand to see if I can do it.

Attached: file.png (680x962, 1.22M)

i just sit at the piano and improvise until something sounds cool, then record it and transcribe in musescore.

the thing that works for me is to write A LOT, 99% of the time it's shit, but every now and then some things/ ideas/ pieces will fall into place and you will feel awesome.

Attached: Schermafbeelding 2022-07-06 om 22.13.36.png (2272x1606, 1.24M)

Piano, staff paper, and pencil. I used to struggle with this until I got better at playing and remembering large sections of what I play, so I can focus on the moment instead of writing every bit down right away.

Honestly get a good composition teacher. It’s the only way to really move up. That’s how it was for me anyways

don't listen to this guy OP.
a composition teacher will only project his failed career on you

Attached: laughing taliban.gif (497x302, 3.01M)

My composition teacher had a very, very, very successful career. Like mega-big.

Not that I think you’re right at all. There are many great teachers.

>I got better at playing and remembering large sections of what I play, so I can focus on the moment instead of writing every bit down right away.
This is my issue. I just have short term memory, I can remember 8 bars at a time. I want to improve so I can at least map out entire songs in my head.
What did the composition teacher teach you? I plan to go to my community college for a piano class anyways (since piano is a practical skill, plus I get a huge discount). If you can sell me that taking a composition class is worth it I'll do it, but I want to know what you learned there and what was the teacher's impact

Attached: file.png (2398x1746, 237.72K)

>what did he teach you

It’s honestly everything. Rigorous counterpoint. Honing your hearing. How to construct things - make them build up right. Tension and release. All the massive history behind everything, straight from the horse’s mouth.

Here’s the coolest selling point (not that it really means anything, but I remember it exciting me): a good teacher will put you in direct succession to the true greats. They the wonderful teachers I head I’ve been:

1 degree removed from Barton and kodaly
2 degrees removed from Ravel
5 degrees removed Beethoven

It’s just fucking great thinking about being inducted into that chain. And it means something too: there’s soooooo much you get from an actual living teacher who takes an interest.

What's their rate, and get I get the information if I go to a community college class instead?

Bartok* stupid fucking spellcheck

It’s totally dependent on the teacher. I can’t say much about rate. But it shouldn’t be exorbitant.

I say go to college. That’ll probably open a lot of doors for you. Make sure you get a personal relationship with the people teaching you. It’s just as important as what you’ll learn.

My issue is I'm already at college for a CScuck degree (which, if any anons is here undecided for their degree, just do electrical engineering and minor in CS if you REALLY want to be a code monkey). I can't really afford to go back to college to get a degree in music, but I can do a class or two.

Yeah do it. I did it a complete side hobby throughout college. My initial connections were thru my teachers and jam seasions

Dude college is way, way too expensive to go back, even if it's CC. If it was cheaper honestly I would, but it's too much. I'm only willing to do the intro classes, and maybe hang around college's music group

>2 degrees removed from Ravel
I'm jelly.
My teacher was from a line of people taught by Beethoven though.. so there's that.

That’s what I meant. You misunderstood me. I didn’t mean get the degree I meant do what you said you wanted. And good luck.

Ah my bad. I'll see how it goes.

Ravel is really my most prized thing about my music study (even though it obviously means little), and because I don’t hang out much in music circles anymore I don’t get to tell anyone who cares.

KIMI DAYO KIMI NANDAYO

Any tips starting out in piano? I got the reddit wiki but besides that I'm not sure where to start self learning piano

Attached: file.png (1242x827, 103.31K)

Just sit in front of the thing and play. Being comfortable and free is the probably the biggest thing to get down.