How do I into post rock? There's not even one post rock song that I've liked. The only acception is Pretend...

How do I into post rock? There's not even one post rock song that I've liked. The only acception is Pretend, but they just sound like a math rock band. People say slowcore is an extremely boring genre, but post rock is 100x more boring to me.
Is there a specific album I need to listen to in order to get it?

Attached: 1533282931754.jpg (1024x819, 67.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v6dNTmfZp0U
youtu.be/FlPBextKRYE
youtu.be/nDq5FUg-W7k
youtu.be/fJk6wfErYNQ?list=PLykvq7hXSUIFfXON099g7R-J7u3yJGKk7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bark Psychosis

kc accidental

I like Swans. Maybe try their flowchart

1/2
ask about any of the albums and I can provide a small sample / short summary

Durutti Column - The Return of the Durutti Column
Pan American - Pan American
Ganger - Hammock Style
Tarentel - Ghetto Beats From The Surface of the Sun
Sam Prekop - Sam Prekop
Disco Inferno - The 5 EP's
Boris & Merzbow - Rock Dream
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Exhaust - Enregistreur
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
Gastr Del Sol - Camofleur
Roy Montgomery - Temple IV
Set Fire to Flames - Signs Reign Rebuilder
Southpacific - Constance
The Evpatoria Report - Golevka
Bowery Electric - Beat
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Jessamine - Jessamine
Moonshake - Eva Luna
Labradford - Prazision LP
The Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood
Brokeback - Field Recordings From the Cook County Water Table
Tribes of Neurot / Walking Time Bombs - Static Migration
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
Macha - See it Another Way
Manta Ray - Manta Ray
Shalabi Effect - Feign to Delight Gaiety of Gods
Circle - Prospekt
Rhys Chatham - An Angel Moves too Fast to See
Ewa Braun - Stereo
Pram - The Stars are so Big, the Earth is so Small... Stay as You Are
John Fahey & Cul De Sac - The Epiphany of Glenn Jones
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Friends of Dean Martinez - The Shadow of Your Smile
Tortoise - A Lazarus Taxon
Flying Saucer Attack - Flying Saucer Attack
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Hood - Cabled Linear Tracion
Seven Percent Solution - All About Satellites and Spaceships
Th' Faith Healers - Imaginary Friend
Th' Faith Healers - Lido
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone Mind
Fridge - Sevens and Twelves
The American Analog Set - From Our Living Room to Yours
Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
Seefeel - Quique
PiL - Metal Box
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside The Dream Syndicate
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies 1, 2, & 3
Ariel M - Ariel M

Post-rock has many different sounds, so much so that I feel like calling something by that name means almost nothing. Here are some favorites of mine, and none of them sound like each other:

Lymbyc Systym - Love Your Abuser
Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vols. 1-3
The Six Parts Seven - Everywhere and Right Here
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Talkdemonic - Beat Romantic
Euphone - Hashin' It Out (shades of Tortoise in this band)

Check some of them out.

bark psychosis hex

but if you don't like it you don't like it, whatever.
for me i love bark psychosis and like swans a good amount but really haven't listened to much more post rock than that.

Stop posting Pepe you fucking newfag moron.

2/2

most post rock is really, really bland- this is because the original bands were very loosely defined by the term (it referred more to their stylistic influences and the time / location than their actual content much like early krautrock) and over time it referred to bands which were copying the styles and conventions codified by the genre itself

to simplify using the popular 'waves' description:
>1st wave
dudes who listened to french lounge music, jazz, classical, avant-garde, assorted folk music, minimalism. most bands were unaware of each other and made music that was too different to be properly categorized together.
>2nd wave
much the same, except there was actual contact and overlap developing between bands. style was refined as conventions started being codified- e.g. crescendos become more commonplace, minimalism as an ethos, vocals-as-an-instrument more so than lyrical delivery, heavy focus on timbre, heavier utilization of ambient sections
>3rd wave
post-rock becomes incestuous as popularity booms. bands now draw inspiration mostly from each other and previous waves, limiting the styles and sounds that make their way into the creativity blender. genre conventions as they are now known becomes ubiquitous. crescendos, epic sweeping arpeggios, further de-emphasis (or removal altogether) of vocals, ambient sections, etc. obsession with sounding "pretty and sad". many tracks become little more than soundtracks for self-obsessed introverts to naval-gaze to.

>Do Make Say Think
>Grails
good shit

kill yourself lmao

Attached: 1610544972031.gif (508x347, 37.75K)

Thanks for the recs, would you recommend any specific songs from any of these that you think are really good/essential?

Attached: post-rock.png (1920x1080, 1.39M)

if you like pretend check out dilute

I mean, all of them really.
The list is meant to introduce things you wouldn't likely find just by googling "post-rock"
Pick some random ones from the list and I can give a selection.
If you can't decide at all here are some that I still listen to regularly on playlists-

Stereolab - Cybele's Reverie -> youtube.com/watch?v=v6dNTmfZp0U
Anglo-French, synth heavy (Moog fetishists), heavy kraut enthusiasts, overlapping melodies / rounds

Disco Inferno - Sleight of Hand ->youtu.be/FlPBextKRYE
heavy use of samples mixed w/ regular instrumentation. iirc they hooked up their instruments to samplers, played normally, and then mixed it with another layer of normal instruments.

Bowery Electric - Without Stopping -> youtu.be/nDq5FUg-W7k
Plays like elongated trip-hop. Nothing much more to comment other than they have spectacular economy of sound.

Th' Faith Healers - Sparking Chime -> youtu.be/fJk6wfErYNQ?list=PLykvq7hXSUIFfXON099g7R-J7u3yJGKk7
Distortion, female vocalist, borders on noise pop / rock. Album closes with heavy distortion and droning.

Attached: rumble in the jungle.jpg (446x486, 180.6K)

love bowery electric's beat
great album
one of those albums where when i first heard it, it just perfectly captured this very prominent and very specific mood that had been in my mind for a long time but had found no expression

Attached: LQB.jpg (320x320, 9.82K)

>talkdemonic
>euphone
very nice. ever listen to dosh, mice parade, lateduster? this is a small indietronica / post rock bubble I'd like to get to know more. downloading that lymbyc system album now
if you like six parts seven check out maserati - cities

>How do I into post rock?
start by knowing that post-rock is an extremely wide range of influences and genre-bending. what do you usually listen to op? can I get a top 5 bands?

Lift to Experience - The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads

They hated him because he spoke the truth

Squid really doesn't have much to do with anything else on the list but if we considered it post-rock it'd probably end up on this list matter of fact I have some free time coming up, so I think I'll update it

Can Stereolab really be considered post-rock? I know they're associated with actual Post Rock bands like Tortoise but I don't think they've ever made music that could be classified as post rock.