Godspeed bros, what happened to them? Their reunion era albums are not bad but lack the dedication, ambition...

Godspeed bros, what happened to them? Their reunion era albums are not bad but lack the dedication, ambition, emotion and worldbuilding vision of the classic albums. The short lengths and formulaic structures of Allelujah and God's Pee feel like an unearned payoff, wavering between crescendos and ambience without the sense of forward momentum and visceral dramatic weight that they used to weave so well, while Luciferian Towers sounds like a half-assed rehearsal take for a work in progress. Asunder is the only one that tries something different by their standards, and I like it best for that reason, but it's still kind of lacking. It just seems like they don't really care anymore. Unironically, despite its flaws, All Lights Fucked has been the most interesting thing they've come along with in years, and it's a demo from 30 years ago.

Attached: a1526103098_10.jpg (1200x1200, 75.25K)

Didn't read your whole post but Allelujah is their best album. Second best is Slow Riot

All of the post-reunion albums are great. It's just hard to compete with their impeccable first run. This band has never put out anything less than great.

they are playing a show near me soon, should i see them? do they put on a good show

Definitely, their live shows are awesome

Honestly the kind of sludge metal influence they picked up in their reunion albums kinda ruined their sound
It's all just big sludgey walls of noise with no subtlety. They dropped most of the interesting ambient parts too

I think Bosses Hang is phenomenal, especially when they play it live.

I agree, it was interesting at first but gets old quickly. I'd much rather listen to Monheim or She Dreamt She Was A Bulldozer over and over again than any of the new drones except maybe the ones on GodsPee. IMO none of the new short songs comes close to something like edgyswingsetacid or Slow Moving Trains.

however, this is also true. bosses hang goes crazy live. we drift like worried fire and mladic are awesome live too. I'd love to hear job's lament/glaciers and cliffs gaze live

Most boring concert I have ever been to. I had more fun watching the projectionist do his job than the band. I think this tour setlist is just garbage

what did they play at the show you went to?

Hope Drone
Job’s Lament
First of the Last Glaciers
Bosses Hang
Anthem for No State
Cliffs Gaze
BBF3

Bosses Hang was the only thing I enjoyed
Honestly one of the least memorable shows I have ever been to. Went to see Sigur Ros the week after. Best show I have ever seen. It was a seated show, which godspeed should have been.

>All Lights Fucked has been the most interesting thing they've come along with in years, and it's a demo from 30 years ago.
Haha yeah sure funny meme
>look it up
>they fucking released it
dude what

Agree 100% OP. They seemed boundless and untethered before. Thematically what do these new albums even say/do? The insert in Asunder mentions that the Canadian government is fucked. Like ok, where’s all the Masonic imagery? That seemed to suggest a more symbolically rich motif and create the world they inhabited. Shitty artwork and bad themes, no words or interviews. Even the guitar work is uninspired —beyond that the only political stance the band has taken a hardline on in the last 15 years is about trans people and they push the same propaganda thats everywhere. That’s a far cry from talking about Bakunin or politics as a zero sum game, getting your opinions from half crazed anarchist zines that are really just symbolic of a crumbling world. Low effort all around.

I still don’t know their music after all these years

It's really good

This. The sound gets boring fast

I saw them in 2000 or 2001 and it was a little boring, despite being a big fan at the time.

>sludge metal influence they picked up in their reunion albums kinda ruined their sound
Agreed.
>They dropped most of the interesting ambient parts too
I'd agree with their last album as an exception. Our Side Has to Win is one of their best ambient-ish tracks, Fire at Static Valley was pretty good too. Surprisingly, these two tracks are my favourites from the album.

i've seen them twice and they're probably my favourite rock based music band ever

they hit the ground running really early in their career with Lift Your Skinny Fists probably being their best to date, so i think it's forgivable if it doesn't quite reach the same standard as their earlier work, tho that's debatable too considering we're talking about art

these great bands are all trying their hardest

only so much you can do with post-rock or any subgenre i guess, tho them and their contemporaries labelled their music that it's usually critics and fans

Saw them for the first time this year, absolutely floored me how good they are. The Hope Drone intro is the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had.

I enjoyed At State's End but I can see why it'd come across as a bit obvious by their standards. Even so, I like all of their post-revival work except for Towers.