Is music worse now

I might just be becoming a boomer at 24 but I feel like music was infinitely more exciting 10 years ago than it is today. I can't think of a single new artist that comes close to matching the energy or creativity that Grimes had in 2012, and in that era there was so much genius shit like her, OPN, James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Odd Future, and much more that felt so new and authentic to me, and there a super strong journalism scene like Tiny Mix Tapes and Hipster Runoff that made discovering stuff seem so fun and cool. Fast forward 10 years and I can't think of a single artist since about 2018 who has put out a truly progressive or exciting album, with the exception of artists who came from the 2010's era like Arca or Tyler, the Creator. Wtf happened? I don't know any current way of finding good music except The Quietus, which is old asf, and Pitchfork just features the shittiest artists now. I feel like covid and social media just destroyed people's creativity or something lol I know there is still great music being made but it seems like it's almost all people in their 30's or 40's continuing what they've been doing for over a decade, I want to find a new scene that comes remotely close to any of those artists I mentioned 10 years ago.

Attached: grimes.jpg (638x960, 126.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FEkOYs6aWIg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

spotify killed music

>James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Odd Future
Sovlless

Watch this faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=FEkOYs6aWIg

which faggot, there's six of em

Attached: consequently_very_disappointed.jpg (203x159, 10.76K)

bro this shit is cringe

music started dying in 2018

IMO... I think part of it is due to the decentralization of social media platforms. Youtube is dying as a means of music discovery—whereas in the 2010s it was THE place to go. The algorithm was a sort of god for discovery. There was a drive for artists to create meaningful content (i.e. music videos). Everyone knows the most popular social media platform is TikTok, and many people do discover music there. The ephemeral nature of the platform has reduced new artists to try to ride a trend wave for a month, hoping to pick up listeners on Spotify. It just seems like the motivation behind making music has changed. Artists you mentioned like Odd Future, Grimes, Death Grips, had real aspirations in creating long-lasting avant music—overall just more substance. Artists today are just playing the numbers game. The music scene just seems like it's fractured into 10-second soundbites and numbers-motivated artists. Anyways, I agree that there is a noticeable difference in the music scene of today versus the last decade.

>music started dying in 1988

definitely

I'm not saying the artists I name dropped are the definition of good music, there are a lot more out there... just for the purpose of i.e.

>music started dying in 1958

>I can't think of a single new artist that comes close to matching the energy or creativity that Grimes had

Attached: laughing nash.gif (200x200, 1.83M)

yessir.
• 1958: Little Richard abandons his music career and becomes a preacher.
• 1958-1960: Elvis Presley is drafted into the army, and loses influence on rock ‘n’ roll.
• 1958: Jerry Lee Lewis marries his 13-year-old second cousin, resulting in a scandal.
• 1959: Chuck Berry is arrested for allegedly transporting a 14-year-old girl across state lines.
• 1959: February 3 becomes known as “The Day the Music Died” when Buddy Holly and two other rock ‘n roll stars, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper, are killed in a plane crash.
1959–1960: A Congressional committee investigates the practice of payola, or paying DJs to play particular songs by particular musicians.

>american government thinks they have finally killed rock and roll once and for all
>4 lovely lads from liverpool fall out of the sky

>music started dying in 1926

>meaningful content (i.e. music videos)

Attached: martin-amisd-762000.jpg (300x300, 13.81K)

>OPN, James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Odd Future
>the list just goes on

Attached: dXviP88UuC3qkrQhTGcbYAOreyu(1).jpg (920x517, 41.03K)

nah nah. as in music that would be listened to for more than 10 seconds.

Turnstile's was better

Music has always been incredibly unimpressive. Only a handful of great acts get recognized long after the fact.

turnstile is so mid

You're just jaded. I'm 40 and find new things everyday. Try digging deeper