/prod/ - music production general

"Basinski" Edition

Post what you're looking for in feedback.
GIVE feedback to GET feedback.

Upload WIPs to Vocaroo (or any other user site). You may NOT link to Soundclouds, Bandcamp - anything resembling self-promotion will be ignored.

Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials
pastebin.com/qtDwktHP

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Previous: Daily /prod/spiriations:
youtube.com/watch?v=aOxK_ekwfSw
youtube.com/watch?v=FPefJKqwLZ8

Attached: Music-William-Basinski-Arcadia-Brooklyn-1990.jpg (1024x805, 148.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voca.ro/1djeDDauDG6P
voca.ro/1iZBWzBpMofO
dxsysex.com/
surge-synth-team.org/
vocaroo.com/1b5IEm38hUBs
voca.ro/1iHhcoN2MIc5
youtube.com/watch?v=aXgSHL7efKg
youtube.com/watch?v=XEjLoHdbVeE
youtube.com/watch?v=TBm1rB9nFKE
voca.ro/1bVBlPbwKRIU
voca.ro/1lbUluxcVZbP
voca.ro/1dcfYokBBSZI
voca.ro/15eHdQzlFGxX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends what works for you, but you could also program them directly into your DAW.
Download a nice drum vst like Superior Drummer or the LABS drumkits then either write or edit your drums - pay attention to velocities, humanization, etc. You could also layer it with more electronic drum samples if you want your drums to sound modern and punchy
For instance the following demo is the LABS Percussion kit and I've layered the kick and snare with synth drum sounds from a sample pack
voca.ro/1djeDDauDG6P

voca.ro/1iZBWzBpMofO
Honest criticism

This is nice. Peaceful harmonies, nice use of space (although the constant panned hi hats might be a bit much). Have you played Startopia? This reminds me of some of the tracks in the OST.
At 0:36 I'm not exactly sure why the pads stop. It seems like a new section might happen but it's just kind of the same without pads. Maybe change the rhythm at that point, make the hats and bass funkier or something? Also obviously you need at least a short intro.
Cool vibes anyway, nice one

Are there tools available out there that use actual industry standard terms? Why the fuck is an s-curve compressor or "dynamic range mapper" call OTT in Ableton?
Are they called sane things in projects like LMMS and Reaper?

Also, are there any good open-source synths out there?

The hats are way too loud. Kind of weird chord progression at 1:46. Also whole track sounds very bright and distorted? Did you put OTT on this or something?

>are there any good open-source synths out there?
Surge XT is great. It's packed to the brim with features. It's intimidating at first, but if you read the manual it's easy to learn.
Most people won't (and probably shouldn't) care, but it's also probably the best softsynth (free or paid) for microtonality/ alternate tuning/ blues note bends. It has its own tuning editor built in.

Dexed emulates the DX7 and it's one of the most accurate hardware emulations for any synth. The Surge team added their code so that it can load alternate tuning files too (.scl and .kbm which you can create in Surge XT)
You can find a collection of way too many presets at dxsysex.com/

The Surge team has other open source projects too.
surge-synth-team.org/
They recently took over the Monique Monosynth, but I don't think it has an installer yet, so you'll have to compile it yourself.
Their Stochas sequencer with randomization elements is pretty fun to play around with too.

here is a snippet of a musique concrete piece im working on called poop jack

vocaroo.com/1b5IEm38hUBs

voca.ro/1iHhcoN2MIc5
First time using an orchestral ensemble.

I like this. Feels reminiscent of the Persona games. Feels like it needs a bit more punch in the 'Chorus' somehow.

I can dig it, but something about your drums feels stiff.
Have some inspiration (that you've probably already listened to)
youtube.com/watch?v=aXgSHL7efKg
youtube.com/watch?v=XEjLoHdbVeE
youtube.com/watch?v=TBm1rB9nFKE

How does one obtain SOVL?

Yeah I'm playing DDS2 now so I'm way too into Meguro now. I definitely agree on the chorus, so I reworked it.
voca.ro/1bVBlPbwKRIU

I could get a more punchy kick+snare or layer a clap like those tracks.

Love. Love music.

I think I love music. Probably...

in the ass

drum and bass anons ITT?

No one any good

So, thoughts on this house track?
voca.ro/1lbUluxcVZbP

>I could get a more punchy kick+snare or layer a clap like those tracks.
Maybe cool, but I think it's more of a subtle timing thing.

gonna post what stuff im working on atm
would appreciate some thoughts and that

some chill electronic stuff
voca.ro/1dcfYokBBSZI

liquid dnb
voca.ro/15eHdQzlFGxX

Attached: 1653999443609.png (988x1234, 1.34M)

Great stuff, but the vocal sample kind of kills the vibe though. Either remove it or make it blend into the track more.

Awesome. Would bring up the percussion a bit and add sidechaining in the first one.