What's the difference between shoegaze and dream pop? Is Heaven or Las Vegas shoegaze or dream pop?

What's the difference between shoegaze and dream pop? Is Heaven or Las Vegas shoegaze or dream pop?

Attached: pepe-frog-9.png (866x628, 145.48K)

I think the general consensus is that shoegaze has a harsher sound than dream pop

Beach Boys invented Dream Pop.
Public Image invented Shoegaze

Shoegaze = textures
Dream pop = Ambient

Shoegaze is heavy and rock influenced, Dream Pop is whatever A.R. Kane says it is.

shoegaze is a rock genre characterized by thick "walls" of effected guitars, a la Loveless. Heaven or Las Vegas does not feature that kind of guitar playing and also is not really a rock album.

Alison's Halo is basically both of them.

>shoegaze
one is a fusion between dream pop and drone
>dream pop
and the other is just a subgenre of indie-rock

i'd say noise pop + dream pop = shoegaze instead of drone
and dream pop comes more from alt or gothic than indie imo

>dream pop is extremely lush and layered pop music (kind of like a late 80s update to Phil Spector)
>shoegaze is post punk with way too many effects layered onto the guitar (kind of like a hipster goth take on noise rock)
>heaven or las vegas is dream pop

>noise pop
yeah it's that too, and also neo-psychedelia + ethereal wave + garage rock + space rock
>alt
alternative music is category, not a genre itself. indie rock is a part of alternative music. read about genres/subgenres/categories more wisely.
>gothic
>gothic than indie imo
it comes from both gothic and indie though

I always think of shoegaze as sound focused whereas dream pop is more song focused. Shoegaze can be extremely repetitive and dream pop follows more traditional pop song structures.
HLOV is Dream Pop

dream pop is softer and has much more discernible melody/harmony
shoegaze is just a fat noise wall of sound that may or may not sound kind of pretty, but not at all the way dream pop does

>read about genres/subgenres/categories more wisely.
oh aren't you precious

>aren't you precious
yes i am. for sure. you what, mate, wanna be friends and discuss genres/subgenres/categories/albums/songs/artists 24/7 with me?

Attached: 1656911268045.jpg (973x850, 88.97K)

indie = indie pop (wedding presents, smiths, and all the twee/c86 movement) has little to do with dream pop wich i think comes more from ethereal wave. when i said alt i refered to the category yes

I can't think of anything I would enjoy more. We'll be jerking each other off, right?

dream pop makes you go wew shoegaze makes you go whoa

>has little to do with dream pop
but dream pop is a subgenre of indie rock. that's just how it is. plus each genre can completely different, having these subgenres.
> when i said alt i refered to the category yes
ah, alright then
>dream pop wich i think comes more from ethereal wave
both have ethereal wave in it, cause shoegaze is fusion with dream pop
>I can't think of anything I would enjoy more.
wow, you're a music nerd just like me?!!! so COOL
>We'll be jerking each other off, right?
why would we? we're not homosexuals

Attached: 1540936602204.gif (800x450, 2.59M)

dream pop - clean guitars
shoegaze - distorted guitars

>why would we? we're not homosexuals
it's not gay if you give the handjob a rating below a 7/10

>rating below a 7/10
where do you rate music though? btw, what's your telegram? let's contact

[email protected]

Nah I don't see it as a indie rock subgenre at all, I think it's a pop/alternative rock subgenre (alt rock being a bigger category and having indie rock inside as a different kind of subgenre, just like dream pop is inside but it's different)

a funky drum beat

Is Just Like Honey dream pop or shoegaze?