Were Wesley Willis and Daniel Johnston actually legit talented or were they just Chris-chan lolcows and people got...

Were Wesley Willis and Daniel Johnston actually legit talented or were they just Chris-chan lolcows and people got guilty and coped?

Attached: Daniel_Johnston_at_Emos_1.jpg (1600x1066, 223.6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E0lLY9qejqg
youtu.be/e-Sq89mc3to
youtu.be/u5qsa8fH5Xg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wesley Willis id say is definitely more pitied than actually revered for his talent considering a majority of his songs consist of a simple piano melody and him repeating the name of the song. However Daniel I think has some genuine artistic merit, especially some of the stuff he did with other musicians, a lot of the music he makes is able to encapsulate his emotion in such a childlike and genuine way making his music refreshing to listen to.

hipster exploitation of the mentally ill - freak show commodification under the guise of faux-sympathy

I mean they're not Nick Drake/Exuma/Jackson C Frank's who just were legitimately making great art and just recgonized at the time but both made very enjoyable music for what it is. Like if I were putting together a greatest of all time like Scaruffi or Rolling Stone list I don't think either would make it but if I were putting together a personal favorites list both would be on it.

Daniel Johnston wasn't a genius or anything and had serious problems, but he also created music that was and is genuinely highly enjoyable at least at a superficial level: the innocence is genuine, which is deserving of notice.

Fundamentally, if you make material that people sincerely find appealing, you're at least kind of a success.

I mean DJ died years and years ago, yet he's still discussed even today in 2022 despite all of the other shit going on.

Wesley Willis was more than a singer/musician.
He was an artist/illustrator with a talent for paying great attention to detail.

Attached: Screenshot_2022-07-04 (2398) Pinterest.png (532x358, 536.3K)

larry/gary gergich from parks and rec lookin nigga ass

Daniel Johnston had actual talent and wrote plenty of great songs. Wesley Willis wrote the same song a hundred times and never developed the talent to expand upon his ideas beyond wailing over the auto-accompaniment on a casio keyboard.

Daniel Johnston was a good and ambitious songwriter. Wesley Willis was funny.
>pearl clutching
Kek poor guys getting to live their dreams

wesley wasn't talented musically, half his tracks are synth presets. but he was an amazing self taught painter/artist.
daniel johnston made some really good lofi music, he had an ear for melodies and had an understanding of how music worked youtu.be/E0lLY9qejqg
both were exploited by shitty gen x and millennial hipsters, please stop giving your kids trust funds

>exploited
Kek yeah dude, getting to have music careers instead of working at McDonald’s is friggin exploitation maaaaan

these dudes are having so much fun live! look how well these frat bros treat wesley!
youtu.be/e-Sq89mc3to
youtu.be/u5qsa8fH5Xg

daniel johnston had genuinely good musical ideas here and there and some of them were executed well
wesley willis' music is legitimately fucking retarded (like him) but his art is cool

Attached: H0587-L201067210.jpg (1000x690, 171.86K)

listening to wesley willis for the first time and holy shit this is funny lol ROCK N ROLL MCDONALDS!!!!

zoomie moment

>you MUST know the name of EVERY SINGLE SCHIZO RETARD and you WILL memorise his DOGSHIT MUSIC!

OMFG THE FREAKIN FRAT BROS OMFG!!! THIS IS EXPLOITATION!!! CANCEL THEM!!

>the state must intervene on these undesir-- err vunerable people and keep them from having their own money at all costs

i really enjoy outside music
the songs feel pretty straight forward and honest with their songwriting
but you could read that as simple minded and lacking self awareness
so i cant help but feel like im just being patronising
and reading my own preconceptions of mental disability onto these people

average right libertarian child slavery enthusiast

they're adults that no longer get the free sympathy statebux from (you)s they got as children-- if they hadn't put out CDs they'd be homeless because [Spoiler] cancel culture libs are hypocritical faggots that don't actually 'give back' anything [/Spoiler]

Attached: 869.jpg (546x658, 24.71K)

zoomie moment
yup! that's how the majority of audiences treated your boy as well, as a joke