DAW

Hello,
Admittedly I don't frequent Any Forums. But I'm looking to fuck around on a daw to make my own kind of electronic (kind of edm), and am wondering what the best (and safest) daw downloads are out there?

Thanks Any Forumsfrens? Any Forumstes? what do you all go by?

Attached: daw.png (602x335, 384.87K)

bump

Ableton or FL Studio. Those are probably your best options. I've heard good things about Reaper if you want a free DAW but personally I'd say FL and Ableton are definitely both, worth the price. Just pick one you like better.

Thanks for the response. Because I just wanna fuck around I'll start with Reaper. I see some things online that Reaper is only free for the first 60 days. Any other suggestions?

ah yeah like you're going to create your own style of edm. good one. save your time and energy and find yourself another hobby now

Again I'm just fucking around. Stick to the barista job bud.

>Hello,
Hello!
>Admittedly I don't frequent Any Forums.
That's alright. No need to 'admit' that.
>But I'm looking to fuck around on a daw to make my own kind of electronic (kind of edm),
OK but just pls pls pls don't be generic &or basic ffs. We have enough of that. Make weird noises. Sample yr dishwasher.
>and am wondering what the best (and safest) daw downloads are out there?
Safety isn't really much of an issue with DAWs unless yr using rly obscure software no one knows about. Honestly, I rec Ableton or Reason, because they have the widest ratio between ease of use and power. Lots of DAWs tend to sacrifice one for the other and Ableton & Reason manage to strike a nice balance. Reason is better for jumping right into it and just making music straight away, it has everything you'll ever need and didn't even rly support external plugins until like 2017. People didn't really care because the software was good enough self-contained. Iglooghost didn't even use a VST for the first time until his career was already well established lmao.
Ableton is better for sound design type stuff. Like if you wanna make all your own sounds from the ground up, you use Ableton. FKA twigs, Clarence Clarity, Arca and Grimes use it a lot and they all kinda fall into that experimental pit.
For reasons to numerous and vague to explain, promise me you'll stay away from FL Studio (and thank me later.)
>Thanks Any Forumsfrens? Any Forumstes? what do you all go by?
Any Forumstants :) or at least that's what it was in 2011 when I first started posting. No idea what the newspeak equivalent is.

Man, what a nice, civil post. This was a good thread. Have a nice day OP :)

Any Forumstilators

A great load of information, very much appreciative
>Sample yr dishwasher
It'll take some practice before I risk disrespecting Aphex Twin this way but I'll heed your advice nonetheless
I'm a programmer by trade so I'm pretty interested in making sounds from the ground up and understand much of the data representation and math behind "alt" sounds. Looking to get creative there

Love it

Oh also Logic is AOK if you're a macfag but t.....b...........h............ dealing with Apple's proprietary shit is bleh.

Also stay away from Reaper. I love Reaper and so does the rest of Any Forums, but, stay away. It's a Any Forumsentooman's wet dream, it's free, it allows you to customize fucking E V E R Y T H I N G, and it's shockingly powerful for what it is. But but BUT. Not super intuitive and tends to encourage lots n lots of timewasting & tinkering & everything else that prevents you from actually using it to make music. It's basically the Linux distro of music software; you spend more time fucking with its machinations than actually using it as a tool. It's nice but, let go user.

Also also. This is gonna sound silly af but. Get yrself an OP-1. Yes I know it's expensive (you can find one on Reverb for a pretty good discount sometimes if you keep checking religiously), and it's basically a toy, but in this context its a very very necessary toy and kinda works like a vaccine for writers block. Especially with EDM. Everybody & their mother has one for a reason, despite the stroke-inducing price tag. Same goes for the Also MPK Mini, but that's dirt cheapshit. Basically the default first purchase for people getting into production. Jack of all trades and whatnot.

Alsalsoalso, lurk WATMM and Gearslutz.

Ok ok I'm done, happy thumping :)

Listen to SOPHIE. Listen to Baths (but DO NOT LISTEN TO CERULEAN. IF YOU LISTEN TO CERULEAN EVEN ONCE I WILL KNOW. I AM GOING TO ROLL UP A NEWSPAPER AND SLAP YOU WITH IT. FULL FORCE. I WILL SPEND THE MONEY AND BUY ONE FOR THIS PURPOSE). Listen to Matmos. Listen to PC Music. Listen to Björk. Listen to Pharmakon. Listen to absolutely nothing else but these artists for months. Even if you don't like their music, just study study study it. Don't take inspiration from them artistically, just study their technique.

>t. Reiki sockpuppet #32,200

Reaper is just nagware. After the trial period it'll show you a nag screen asking you to buy it for a few seconds when you first open it up
It's GREAT for working with samples / audio clips although my only points of reference are LMMS (the actual Linux DAW (lmao)) which is utter dogshit at this and Audacity which is just plain clunky
Reaper's interface might be a little daunting/frustrating at first though so just be prepared to google something or search the manual. Unlike what the other user says, it's pretty easy to NOT get bogged down in excessive customization because of how much effort that takes, at least for me.

Mixcraft gang

Bitwig was written by Ableton engineers. Any experience with that?

Reaper is terrible for electronic stuff. You have to bring your own everything because the default plugins it comes with are few and hot garbage, and also it's terrible for live performances and looping. Reaper is basically the DAW itself and you have to spend lots of time collecting shit to pump it full of. Powerful DAW but way too minimal and requires way too much input to be usable imo

>and also it's terrible for live performances and looping
how so?

Isn't there a general? Where is it?

Doing any kind of live looping in reaper is...possible...but hacky and not very practical. Also, that piano roll is an absolute abortion. It's kind of surprisingly bad for a program where powerusage is its main selling point.

You're going to have to go into more detail because I've had no issues with live looping so far. But yes the piano roll sucks

Reaper is no good for EDM. doesn't come with any synths.

i will never use bitwig because it's ugly as sin but supposedly it's cool for homebrewing instruments and effects

>But yes the piano roll sucks
How so? -_-

Somehow manages to be less functional than LMMS's piano roll idk
Are you the user I was replying to?

No

I thought everyone making EDM was using external stuff anyway though, like Serum and Vital and stuff