Why is Pop critically acclaimed now??

past decade+ we’d make fun of how shitty pop music was
>Green Day? 0/10
>Coldplay? Gay/10
>Taylor Swift? NOPE
Vs
>Olivia Rodrigo? 500/10 slay queen!
>Dua Lipa? Um yes bae, 11/10, brilliant.
>weekend? Phenomenal tour de force de beauty like a shimmering star. Like MJ but better at everything including his ability to befriend children
>Billie Eilish? Slaps. Frfr easy AOTDecade. Artist of the millennium potentially
>Lizzo? WOWZO ZAYUMMM PERFECT
There is no criticism allowed seemingly unless they commit an oopsie and get cancelled.
>I used to love Mackelmore but now I see him for his true self and I can finally hear that his music sonically speaking is hella hella BAD, below Mid even doe

Attached: 29B84F2F-5B32-481F-99B1-9D46B5CBC356.jpg (4999x3862, 1.99M)

the weeknd was acclaimed a decade ago too

since you said decade+ i just googled top songs of 2010 and most of it is pretty bad, but rihanna was universally acclaimed then too. maybe pop music is just better now. i have been a long time pop guy but have definitely found more to like in the last four years than ever before. like... katy perry has never really done it for me outside of a couple songs. dua lipa rocks all the way around.

actually yeah re-reading op after posting, i still maintain that coldplay and green day after the mid 90s still suck and sucked then.

pop music is just better now.

Poptimism

Zoomers grew up

This. Weeknd was buzzing outside of the mainstream for many, many years until he became huge.

Pure op. Zoomers are the golden age of marketing and having their brains develop on social media has given them a truly insane fear of missing out and a desperation to feel connected while millennials are terrified of growing old and being out of touch with the youth so both will just throat the popular shit. Everything is so inorganic and on-rails, this is such a lame board now. I can’t believe you people are still on twitter, it’s been such a long time. Zoomers might be the most behind-the-curve youth that’s ever existed.

>dua lipa rocks all the way around.
I was gonna reply deep but now I think you’re baiting kek
Also those were all random examples I made. Just the first things I thought of. Pop music is better marketed now. Not better music. I suppose pop artists are now like entire Walmarts since each song involves 500 people whereas they used to only involve 50

Look I just picked the first few charting artists I thought of don’t get too sucked into the weeknd. I remember when he was in the indie scene being jerked off on hypeMachine. he’s for sure been consistent

a mixture of pseuds thinking "yeah i listen to everything" is the highest form of music listening and having to make sure everyone knows they aren't racist

Attached: 1507230577966.gif (219x200, 241.35K)

>Pure op.
What’s that mean?

But yeah that’s a good summary to be fair….pretty sad. The artists also seem to develop enormous echo chambers where they can release anything and receive 0 criticism. Especially with bots and paid reviews/paid censorship of haters online. Music itself is just barely hanging on like movies are. They both are in this weird limbo in different ways.

In 2015 Conde Nast acquired Pitchfork. Conde Nast also owns GQ, Vogue, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and other typical fair of the 'cultured' cosmpolitan liberal. Pitchfork thereby went from basically shitting on modern pop to giving lip service to Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Ariana Grande etc, because their paychecks were now being signed by tastemakers of the industry. This coincides with the general rise of poptimism (disseminated as bourgeoise culture by tastemakers like the above Conde Nast) during the laste decade which sought to validate pop music under the guise of its artistic legitimacy; the obverse of this can cynically, but not incorrectly, be read as pop legitimizing itself as a "cool" and valid product to consume.

This cultural shift towards poptimism I don't think came ex nihilo. It was the culture industry simply doing what it has done since the 30s-40s, namely playing a major role in dictating the direction of what media people trend towards. It just took a while to catch up in the internet age, which I don't think is merely coincidence that music subcultures more or less died out at around the same time.

kinda depends on what you consider "huge." trilogy got a major label release like a year after house of balloons came out. he was all over take care. the weeknd had maybe two years of existence before steadily working up to one of the most popular acts in the world.

>I was gonna reply deep but now I think you’re baiting kek
future nostalgia is a great record and dua lipa is a very good singer with good songs behind her

I dont think you appreciate the impact that the rise of streaming and the death of radio has had on pop music.

Pop acts today follow a completely different formula in building out thier audience these days. They now aim to establish themselves initially through commercial radio friendly pop songs (for example one direction, charli xcx, kesha) only later to expand their sound to explore (whether well or not) more unique sounds and sub-genres. Often this appears to be their 'sincere' turn from pop product to artist.

For Harry Styles this occurred with his first solo record, for Charli XCX it was Vroom Vroom, for Kesha it was Rainbow, for Taylor Swift it was her folk era. They may have gotten praise earlier but from this point the conversation around their work clearly takes a turn (towards what was marketed as their true vision, and the music they always wanted to make but that the labels stopped them from creating).

These projects are then able to be marketed as their true creative vision, and can safely be praised by media outlets as 'finally X artist has escaped the studios vice like grip and crafted a masterpiece'. It also leads to some successes, such as the aforementioned Kesha and Charli XCX projects which were far better than their earlier work. Resulting in better pop music.

Pop acts such as Green Day and Coldplay deviated from their 'true' unique artistic vision and sound later in their careers after becoming established industry acts and then began incorporating more pop elements to further their reach and appeal, because without streaming the ability to further grow your market was severely limited without eventually giving in to pop sensibilities.

capitalism won

Kek the dichotomy of man

2010 was the worst time for pop music. The worst sounding digital synthesizer bleeps with loud singers. Though even back then Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj often made it onto the Pitchfork best tracks of the year list.

> taking reviewers seriously
Quit being a fucking sheep, and listen to what YOU like.

there is entertainment, and there is art.

entertainment is focused in selling products and holding your attention, it's the reason why we have superhero movies every year, trophies for famous people and a sense of cultural stagnation. art has a sense of direction, revolution and personal or societal change.
entertainment is still human, it's just a different form of selling ideas.
the top is always gonna be ruled by the flashy, glamourous and empty art because it doesn't wanna create anything, it just wanna do whatever already works, it's safer for profit, and with streaming and social media, it's even easier for them.

lets not forget that zoomers have no strong subcultures because of the internet, there's no sense of belonging to a place because you can be part of everything at the same time. you can be a metal forum admin and a taylor swift stan at the same time and never meet anyone that like any of these in real life. pop music serves as a middle ground for lost people, specially the ones that don't care or don't have time for art and just wanna have some fun.

Green Day were a really good band pre-American Idiot

The internet has served as an extremely powerful vehicle for corporate self-fellating PR. It's given the multi-billion dollar music industry a direct line into the homes of hundreds of millions of people, giving unprecedented ability to manipulate opinion.