Jacob Collier General

ITT discuss the works of Jacob Collier. Favorite tracks? Favorite covers? Favorite performance?

Attached: jacob.jpg (369x450, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dR4IwtiEbyo
youtube.com/watch?v=OnA5po3ASyI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Retard teeth

wish he could make some cool shit with all that he knows. he should stick with a genre he likes and just make like 10 albums until he starts finding his sound

jacob collier is the perfect counterexample to anyone who complains about how frank zappa only wrote poopoo peepee lyrics. musical virtuosity is extremely off-putting to people if it's combined with sincere lyrics, doubly so if it's all twee "everything is love" shit. that's the difference between collier and a contemporary of his like bill wurtz, wurtz is also a virtuoso who knows a lot about music and writes harmonically complex material, but he writes funny meme songs so it never comes off as pretentious or obnoxious. when a guy like zappa wanted to make something serious he wrote an instrumental piece and let the music speak for itself.
youtube.com/watch?v=dR4IwtiEbyo
^this is probably jacob's best song because it hits a good middleground between musical quirkiness and poppiness unlike a lot of his other pop song attempts that just sound like generic pop tunes that randomly have a harmony trick that will just sound like "random key change jazz chord i dunno" to the average listener

but also the lyrics in that song are too sincere, it should unironically be about a glory hole or something. i think if jacob wrote about sucking dick at a truck stop he'd be an LGBT music icon overnight. and let's be real, we all know he's gay

WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE

king of wiggles

Attached: _images_uploads_gallery_181017_decca_jacob_collier_shot_06_411_wide-d0d4b6c58b36410585714991ab923a124192a8d3.jpg (1400x788, 164.56K)

he's overrated

i started by hate-listening but I am starting to genuinely enjoy him now......

youtube.com/watch?v=OnA5po3ASyI
^By far his best original song

lol u gay zappa sux

nah you are

>
this is bad music
the reason it is bad music is because he has nothing to say and thinks its all about a chord change or some augmentation
but really it about having something to say and finding a chord change.
hes just a bad AI.
not an artist
like most bad AI

Imagine the smell

GOOD MORNING SIR!!! DO NOT REDEEM THE CHORD BLOODY BENCHOD BASTARD ARE YOU MAD???

Exactly, it's the musical equivalent of solving a hard soduko.
Sure, good job, well done. But it doesn't have any message. It doesn't mean anything, and is therefore redundant.

fucking huh?

Colliers completely suck balls, because:
* voice on some weird English nobleman shit
* lyrics are gay/don't pull from any emotional truth/like they're some undergrads homework
* music sounds like a spotify commercial with ai generated extra chords
* people pretend to love his stuff because they think it makes them have good musical taste

10/10 annoying music & and guy. should just be a music theory professor

>but really it about having something to say
no that is almost completely irrelevant, nice lyrics doesn't matter if the song itself is shit

Incredibly talented and knowledgeable but his music is shit

The way I understand user's comment is that both the lyrics and the music itself are pieced together in a way that demonstrates they are coming from a person who lacks artistic or philosophical depth. If an artist truly has something important to say or powerful unique, powerful emotional experiences and are sincere in their expression of them, this will show in the music assuming the musician has enough skill to get their message through.

Jacob clearly has enough skill to get his message through, but his songs are clearly Frankenstein monsters of his influences and music theory. They're unoriginal and overly self conscious and he seems to be making songs rather than making music.