Will you watch the new Elvis movie? I’m torn, when it comes to musician biopics, the track record is mixed:

Will you watch the new Elvis movie? I’m torn, when it comes to musician biopics, the track record is mixed:
The Doors movie has an incredible performance by Val Kilmer, but it made up a ton of stuff that never happened. The non-Jim Morrison Doors members are incompetent hanger ons, and Morrison is portrayed as psychotic in some scenes. Not a fan overall.
Walk The Line is great! Joaquin Phoenix becomes Johnny Cash. There’s some exaggeration but it never goes as far as The Doors movie did
Bohemian Rhapsody just seemed really lazy to me. Just a bunch of Freddie Mercury dickriding with winks and nods to the audience. You don’t learn anything new about the band or get any interesting, it’s all just “wow isn’t Queen great? They’re so awesome!”
Any I haven’t mentioned I haven’t seen

Attached: 1D57BA7F-8F6F-4D33-BE98-BEDB1BF6A557.jpg (960x1440, 178.74K)

Ever see I'm Not There or Love & Mercy?

This is surreal, I swear I included a bit about Love & Mercy and I reread my post and it’s not there! I love Love & Mercy! It’s a perfect blend of 1:1 literalism with artsy reinterpretation. It’s nearly perfect in every way, the one thing I dislike is it, like The Doors movie, portrayed the non-Brian Beach Boys members as peripheral hanger-ons.
I haven’t seen I’m Not There. Should I? I know the basic premise

No. I'd watch one of those made for TV biographies with the voice over and archive footage.

>when the new elvis movie gets a factual detail wrong

Attached: pink boomer.png (820x884, 206.62K)

I want to see it. As far as a good music biopic, Ray is possibly the best.

Love & Mercy suffered from John Cusack. Badly miscast.

I saw Chet. It wasn't too bad. I'd watch it again.
The Amy Winehouse film is good, she was a horror. It is eye opening just how awful she was.
Lou Reed would be good for one.

If it doesn't give me wannabe karate master police officer appointed a bogus position by Nixon Elvis, I'm not interested.

I'm not going to watch it mainly it looks like shit and because Tom "Hanx" is Colonel Tom Parker. Sticking with the tried and true "Elvis" directed by John Carpenter and starring Kurt Russell as Elvis.

Attached: kurtrussellaselvispresley.jpg (338x441, 30.51K)

Who gives a shit about historical accuracy. It's a movie, not a documentary.

then they should actually try and use the medium to their advantage. you can't just omit entire portions of the subject's life and claim "uhm it's a movie!!!!!!!". it's unironically dishonest filmmaking.

You know its running time is 2 hours 40 minutes, right?

It was surprisingly good. Only parts I didn't like were the rap infusion transitions ugh. At one point I heard trap percussion under Elvis' chops. This should be noted that this isn't nearly excessively done like in the Great Gatsby, thank god (same director go figure). Almost makes me want to hear his music. Its got me thinking Any Forums. Did Elvis ever put out a classic/ full front-to-back? If so I'd like to know. Leave all that faggy racebaiting shit out of the thread anons.

Attached: FS-Mu7qUAAA_Wgl.jpg_large.jpg (1638x2048, 1.96M)

>Leave all that faggy racebaiting shit out of the thread anons.
Schitzo moment litterly no one is talking about any race thing at all but you

Its typically present in most Elvis threads, I just don't want that shit here

>you can't just omit entire portions of the subject's life and claim "uhm it's a movie!!!!!!!".
Why not.

>actually going into Elvis threads
>actually posting in multiple of them
>actually caring about Elvis threads
Baka.... now check em

Attached: E9BC0CBA-8BE8-4274-9803-34B118555DE4.jpg (406x351, 25.02K)

I dislike rap and think it’s weird for an Elvis movie but this man loved black music so I think he would probably like rap if he was around today.

> Morrison is portrayed as psychotic in some scenes.

He kinda was, he pulled knives on girls a lot as confirmed by members of the band and his biography, he was jokerbrained

The Doors movie was the best because it was made by a fan and that fan was none other than Oliver Stone. Yes, it got a lot of things wrong but Stone actually made a movie that felt like its own story, atmosphere and not just a cheap cash-in on a popular name (basically what Biopics have become mid 00s and onwards). There are scenes that are simply kino and that is what matters.

As for this one, I actually think an Elvis biopic should never be a big budget film. It would have been much more interesting to see an Elvis biopic from some independent, slightly less popular director. Maybe Kaurismäki or Jim Jarmusch. It would be cool to see cameos from somebody like Mojo Nixon and have some Elvis deep cuts in the soundtrack instead of the popular Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock. Elvis is not about gloss, its about the Americana experience and SOVL to me.

The Buddy Holly Story is pretty good.