Only a very small percentage of people were involved in all music scenes ever

>Only a very small percentage of people were involved in all music scenes ever
>Don't make music your main focus in life
>All your favorite artists are rich kids dicking around

Attached: 1601124583734.jpg (562x723, 196.53K)

well chris ott is right then

>Don't make music your main focus in life
>says the professional music journalist

you know you can just talk to that dude

more than I can say for most of the idiots people worship on this board

He quit though.

Some gen x hipster douchebag who worked for pitchfork once is the guy who's got it all figured out. Yeah

he's right, but it's a bad way to look at music
caring about >muh trust fund kids muh industry plant, is no different from caring about an artist's politics, social media opinions, or anything else in their personal life. It's all metadata.
Music should be about music, the people are irrelevant

I think people misunderstand why Chris brings up trust funds. He's not saying the music is worse for it, he's pointing out how u realistic it is to expect to make a living playing indie music since the people who get known for it have no real concerns beyond their own personal fulfillment. They don't have to worry about holding down jobs or creating safety nets because their careers and safety nets are prearranged.

While I generally like Chris, I do think sometimes he leans on these a bit too much. He's right, but there's a certain black-pilling that can go into this. I get that his point is not to expect to make a living off the music you make, and certainly don't go in expecting to get famous. If people see "only rich kids," then they'll just give up trying to make music, and we'll only end up with music from rich kids. I wish (if he gets back in the habit of writing again) he'd talk about artists that came from dirt-poor backgrounds, which he has a few times, like MBV and Public Enemy. But those cases, as rare as they are, do give some people hope.
iirc, his whole thing about class and music amounts to
>you either come from very rich or very poor backgrounds.

I make music to try and express some art. Whatever the fuck this guy is talking about, has NOTHING to do with A: Listening to and appreciating music. B: Making art. C: Music scenes are everywhere this dude is a fucking nerd

He was always an amateur journalist in p4k days. Works IT or some such shit full time. His rationale being that as an amateur you are less persuaded by money and influence and remain critically "pure".

>I make music to try and express some art
Trust fund detected

>making art
you're exactly the type of delusional dweeb he talks about

He's right about a lot of things and is a great storyteller but he comes across as such a douche. I doubt I'd ever want to talk to him

If you listen to his podcasts where he talks to other people he is much less caustic than his solo videos.

he's a totally different guy when it's just casual convo. he has guests on some of his pod eps and they're great

ott defense force going full throttle :^)

the rich have always been able to be comfortably medicore when they can fall back on daddy's money. that's why you throw enough shit ventures at a wall and eventually they get a business going. people without that sort of support get what, one shot and have to put their entire life savings into it and if it fails, what happens?

??????? i just like making music
to make some cool art what is the problem
anyone with a minimum wage job in a 1st world country can do this shit.

Music journalists such as Chris Ott deserve no right to breathe in public, let alone speak.

Attached: NIGGAS WANT WAR WE PULL UP.jpg (1280x720, 67.32K)

>I wish he'd talk about artists that came from dirt-poor backgrounds
And do what every other writer does and repeatedly glorify the rags to riches story and give the false impression that it's likier than it really is? There's already every other writer beating that cliched narrative dead horse, we don't another writer wasting his time contributing to that same landfill.