Blackstar

Hey Any Forums
So I listened to Lazarus recently and decided to check out the entire Blackstar album.
And well... while not all songs were to my liking I still found them to be very interesting, so I want to hear some opinions on it.

Being a zoomer, I don't feel very attached to Bowie in particular, but I know he was very influential and an icon too.
But Blackstar was still kinda different from his previous works wasn't it? So I wonder if fans ended up liking it? Do you think it was a good/worthy album to end his career on (a swan song ie)?
Favorite tracks?

Attached: David_Bowie_-_Blackstar_-_2016.jpg (500x500, 45.51K)

>bowie
>influential
He was just Le Fashion Icon.

Actually I just saw some places claiming he was influential.
Considering I wasn't born at the time, I wouldn't know if it's actually true.
Regardless, he was still a very good musician and I'm personally very intrigued by him, which is why I think it should at least be discussed.

If you liked Blackstar check The Next Day and the Berlin trilogy (Low, Heroes & Lodger)
A lot of modern pop and rock artists cite him as an influence, musically and aesthetically.

>The Next Day
Yeah, I see people often saying they're similar.
But like I said, I didn't particularly like most songs from Blackstar. Only Lazarus, Sue and I can't give everything away.
I will however give the other albums a chance for sure though.

One time I did acid and listened to dance dance by Bowie it was really good I rolled around bed laughing. Dark star was some cool shit because he knew the record company was about to kill him for that sweet death spike in sales

It's genuinely one of his best albums. Even before he died people were calling it a masterpiece.

For me, the title track is my favorite but I'll give a special shoutout to Dollar Days/I Can't Give Everything Away.

Old Bowiefag here, it's a good album and probably his best one since Scary Monsters, but it's overrated.

If you want to explore more on him just start with The Man Who Sold The World and listen all of his 70s albums.

If you're a zoomer modernfag then I'd recommend you both Earthling and Reality.

He's my favourite musical artist from the last century, a literal chameleon in musical style, he literally did every genre that was popular at the time in an unique way.

It’s a top 5 Bowie album. The title track alone is one of his masterpieces.

Lol user. I think you're still on acid.

>title track
Man, I would love love love Blackstar if not for the "in the village of ormen" part.
Such a shame. But good to hear you like it user.

Image is 50% of what being a music artist entails, like it or not

Actual facts and advice for a zoomer on Bowie.

>Bowie was hugely influential on 20th century music. Nay-Sayers will try to reduce him to a flashy style icon, but the truth is he really altered the trajectory of pop music and expanded what was viewed as palatable to a mass audience. There's a really strong argument to be made that he invented Punk rock in both sound and Aesthetic, and single-handedly created what would become new-wave and synth-pop.

>His albums between 1970 and 1980 are essential listening for any fan of rock, pop, or experiemental and electronic music. It's a pretty astounding streak for one artist, especially considering he released like 1.5 albums a year for 10 years.

>After 1974, virtually all of his albums through Blackstar are drastically different from one another in sound.

>Blackstar is easily in his top 6 albums, and IMO would be a perfect 10/10 were it not for the weirdly weak rendition of "Tis a Pity" included on the album. (The 2014 demo that he did by himself in his bedroom is haunting)

Seriously, if you haven't, start with The Man Who Sold The World (1970) and listen through to Scary Monsters and Super Creeps (1980). You're allowed to skip "Pinups" (a covers album) and any of his live albums released during this period.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 4.01.22 PM.png (718x1024, 1.25M)

Who are you quoting?

Not quoting anyone in particular but you can find these arguments online with a little searching. Punk was born from an amalgam of The Stooges sound, some of bowie's Ziggy B-side tracks and the Ziggy Aesthetic. You can find photos of young Sid Vicious like 13 years old in line to see a Bowie concert doing his best to blow his hair out like Ziggy but it just looks like some weird spiky attempt. Well these guys who like rock and like Bowie's look in the Jean Genie video but who can't afford a hairdresser do their best to replicate a vibe and land on the leather/spiked look.

Low is directly responsible for acts like gary Numan, Human League, Tears for Fears, Depeche mode etc.

meh, he’s okay

Blackstar and The Next Day sound nothing alike. Next day is more on his poppy early 70's throwback, which is great.Blackstar is more experimental and really doesn't sound like anything elsw he's done.which is a lot of why it's so acclaimed, not many 70yo musicians are pushing new grounds with their music.

Thanks for the input user.
I'm not surprised to see how many people liked it honestly. And I imagine, given he whole atmosphere conveyed by the album, it probably made the news of his passing especially emotional.

I might end up going for his entire discography when I have the time.
>Reality
Will probably start with this one, since it has Bring me the Disco King which is one of my favorites of his.

Thanks for the writeup user.
Since i haven't listened to many Bowie's songs, I hadn't realized how many genres he covered. That seems to be very influential though.
It's interesting though. You'd think trying out so many different styles would discourage long time fans from trying out his new songs.

Ah I see. Must have remembered wrong then, mb.

I listened to Blackstar 8 times for pity and now is my favorite album

take your spaghetti, piero

> You'd think trying out so many different styles would discourage long time fans from trying out his new songs.

On the contrary, it’s why people are so impressed by him.

Bowie went through many stages of reinvention so BS being different doesn't surprise anyone. It was a great last album before he died, given he hadn't released an album of that caliber for nearly 40 years.
Title track, I can't give everything away and dollar days are my favourites but they're all solid.
Now go listen to Station to Station