/prod/ - music production general

"Theorylet" Edition

Post what you're looking for in feedback.
GIVE feedback to GET feedback.

Upload WIPs to Vocaroo (or any other user site). You may NOT link to Soundclouds, Bandcamp - anything resembling self-promotion will be ignored.

Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials
pastebin.com/qtDwktHP

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Previous: Daily /prod/spiration:
youtube.com/watch?v=jS4pGM_0ZXg

Attached: Screenshot 2021-09-16 032216.jpg (839x472, 49.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/c/TableTopComposer
vocaroo.com/1n4IOcllmQtE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just discovered this nigga's channel the other day, good stuff
the slides about voice leading fly right over my head though

where is pic from?

If you're not writing and /prod/ing daily then you don't really want it.

Attached: John Major.jpg (360x360, 33.58K)

I try to do at least a little of one or the other every day. It depends on what I have going on and how depressed I am. I keep meticulous track of everything I work on. I've written nearly a hundred songs now. Most of them are trash but I feel like I learn a little bit from each one. It's a little sad listening back to them and hating what I've written, but when I listen back to the few that I really enjoy, nothing feels better.

there was a time when i knew jack shit about music theory and just made random songs/sketches every day
ironically now that i've decided i don't want to be a theorylet anymore i'm also putting off making music and trying to git gud at theory first

nah i'm just not talented enough
why write and produce daily when everything you make is shit and it takes hours even to make that when 17 year olds are producing bangers in an hour

anymore like this pic? i don't play piano but guitar and this is helpful

those 17 year olds started when they were 9

nobody on the radio is talented either. talent is wildly overrated.

really hope no posts this thread surpasses this level of cringe

Don't stop doodling, just start incorporating the stuff you learn about into them.

It comes from this channel! Sorry for the wait.
youtube.com/c/TableTopComposer

vocaroo.com/1n4IOcllmQtE
Trying to make a quick little intro song for a podcast

Attached: 1547880798521.jpg (1117x1490, 119.08K)

In that case I guess I meant to ask if anyone has some tips on writing video game melodies.

nobody has successfully scored a video game. that's like asking a divorced person for marriage tips.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to scrap two songs because they're a little cringe. I was going to put them out with a song I really like as a 3-song ep because they have similar themes lyrically but I'm considering just putting out the one song. Does it look pretentious putting out a single when no one listens to you? Singles are what big bands put out to advertise an upcoming release. I don't want to come across like "hey there to the five people who will ever hear this, get your wallets ready because something big is coming!"

I'm probably overthinking this.

how the hell should anyone here know? do whatever you want.

Fellow amateur video game composer here, how much do you already know about making melodies? Because the basics of making a melody are the same whether it's for a video game or a commercial jingle or what have you.

That being said, you need to consider what type of video game is going with your melody; a game like The Last of Us is going to ask for more out of your songs than something like Spyro the Dragon.

If you already know how to read music, try studying the scores of video game compositions that you like and try to imitate them in your own work. If you can't read music, well, that might be your first problem to fix.

Attached: 1551218276256.gif (650x650, 315.25K)

>Does it look pretentious putting out a single when no one listens to you?
>Singles are what big bands put out

user I don't think you know what year it is and it's very obvious you don't keep up with current music

Are you implying that bands don't release promotional singles anymore? Because that is simply false. If anything, bands release more singles now than ever before due to streaming. Seems any new album that gets released has half of its songs released as singles starting a year before the album is set to come out,

>Mae Borowski
NICE. Still haven't finished playing NITW though... the end of last year was hectic.

>how much do you already know about making melodies?
Hmm... maybe not that much? I feel like I go about making melodies sort of randomly, and it's been a few months, 2bh...

>If you already know how to read music, try studying the scores of video game compositions that you like and try to imitate them in your own work.
I don't know how to read music but I've studied MIDI of compositions I like and have tried to imitate the structures, rather unsuccessfully I guess... I suppose I should have a type of game in mind. Rather than a hodgepodge of conflicting games and sounds. Should I also play more video games? For some of the game soundtracks I'm interested in sounding like I haven't actually played them.

>tell myself last night that i'm going to just start making shit without overthinking it today
>try to record guitar tracks today
>it fucking sucks
bros, no...

>singles have to be put out by big bands
>songs have to follow the same structure as what i hear on the radio
damn did you niggas just time traveled here from the last century

That is true but why do you care if you aren't famous? You don't have to minmax if you are already expecting that only 5 people will listen to it

No, I’m implying that even mentioning the single-album cycle is indicative of an outdated mindset because that’s been standard for even small artists for over a decade and has come so far that some artists literally only do singles and or re-release them three times under different videos or “visualizers” and shit- small releases have been the name of the game forever and nobody cares about album drops

>some people do have an inborn, magical spark, which is called "having such an interest in music that they do it every day, and have done so for a long time, and could hardly be persuaded to stop doing"
How do I manage that
I miss enjoying music

Attached: 1641771774822.png (512x512, 192.2K)