Let's be honest, this is the best song of the 90s

Let's be honest, this is the best song of the 90s

Attached: 00a9c39679868b018977d4e81009aa3d7e-07-pulp-common-people.2x.h473.w710.jpg (1420x946, 113.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h-1DA9y12UE
youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4
youtu.be/xcWOviMI6Lk
youtube.com/watch?v=-XlCFJA3yL4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not by half.
youtube.com/watch?v=h-1DA9y12UE

WRONG
youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

>americans have no clue what this is

I've always thought Jarvis was a bit naff, like a teacher who tries to be cool.

He's a fitty tho

Attached: Jarvis-Cocker.jpg (665x800, 67.42K)

Great choice, OP. I've been arguing the same.
There's no other song that manages to be politically astute (but not overbearing), fun (but not shallow), and emotional (but not sappy) all at the same time.

It's not even in the top 5 best Pulp songs though

OP here I'm American.

j a r v
a
r
v

yeah, but you're an autist on a music board

This faggot isn't OP, I am. And I'm a Brummie lol

was even better when it came out in 1994, long before 2000. made slightly more sense

Yeah, it’s up there, but it has some stiff competition on the album it appears on. Disco 2000 and the closer are both nearly on the same level. Different Class is so fucking good.

I think you can apply the message to the modern trust fund kid rock music being pumped out and stamped with BNMs every other week too. Some of the albums are pretty good, but I can never shake how empty the lyrics are coming from someone who’s likely never experienced a whole lot of hardship.
“Laugh along with the common people,
Even though they’re all laughing at you”

CAUSE IT'S A BITTERSWEET
SYMPHONY THAT'S LIFE

oof; not quite, fellas
youtu.be/xcWOviMI6Lk

I believe Common People is, at its heart, a song about people who use poverty as aesthetic and don't realize that they can escape it at any time. 'Slumming,' if you will. Jarvis had a phenomenally clever way of pointing out hypocrisy without coming across as a pedant.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the only kind of suffering is the immediately economic kind, but it takes perspective to comment on economic hardship from the outside, something that plenty of bands today wholly lack. The only bands out of the new wave I think are genuinely great are black midi and BCNR, because at least they put emotion into their musicianship and have the decency to be honest about their roots. Almost all of the rest do a poor job of contextualizing or communicating in a way that conveys genuine emotion.

It came out in 1995, His'n'Hers was 1994.
I think the extra year matters here. Mockney twats weren't a thing in 94, they were by 95.

One of them, for sure
youtube.com/watch?v=-XlCFJA3yL4

It's definitely the best britpop song along with Stay Together

>MY NAME IS