What are some releases that are generally agreed to have started a new genre?

For example, rightly or wrongly, most people seem to use the Ramones' 1976 debut as the start point for Punk Rock, and regard anything prior to it as Proto-Punk. For that reason, it's a bit of an awkward example, but it's the first I could think of. There's probably better examples.

Attached: Image.jpg (425x424, 54.74K)

the first punk rock and metal album was whatever The Beatles put out. they literally invented all rock music

maybe Sabbath's self-titled album. Although some argue Blue Cheer did metal first, I think they could just as well be "proto-metal".

This for heavy metal, the Bela Lugosi's Dead single by Bauhaus for goth, End on End by Rites of Spring for emo, arguably Metallica's Kill Em All for thrash, Who's the Enemy by Amebix for crust, Songs the Lord Taught Us by The Cramps for psychobilly, T. Rex's Electric Warrior for glam rock.

Punk is a little tricky though, because while the first Ramones album is credited with creating the mold for the punk genre, The Dictators Go Girl Crazy is often called the first punk LP, and that came out a year earlier.

Attached: 81K4W71c38L._SL1050_.jpg (1050x1029, 267.38K)

lol beat me to it. Metal's another tricky one, but I think you're right that it either has to be Blue Cheer or Sabbath. Blue Cheer took the guitar distortion of Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Cream, etc. and made it this heavy, pounding thing, so they deserve a lot of credit for the core sound. Sabbath added the dark atmosphere.

thought suicide s/t started psychobilly along with 5 other genres 3 years before that

Post Punk - Marquee Moon

Los Saicos invented punk.

No, all of psychobilly is pretty much an imitation of The Cramps, mixing rockabilly, punk, and horror. You're right that Suicide are very influential though, they inspired everything from synthpop to industrial.

No

This album is ABSOLUTE SHIT
Seriously one of the most dull, uninteresting works of music I’ve ever heard
I don’t mind the Sex Pistols, but the ramones suck serious ass

You must be fun at parties

It's amazing OP, I don't think what Ramones debut did to the music world could be matched by any other album in the history of rock music, you know this urban legend about Banana album and everyone starting a band after hearing it despite the low sales, in 76 Ramones case it's 100% a fact, there's no romanticization here, Ramones debut started the career of Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, Misfits... and the best part it's that it sold just a bunch of copies, but said copies got well distributed, I guess, Ramones were very popular in Japan, great part of South America and Australia (English-Aussie punk connection, Saints debut was one of the first foreign 77 punk albums), in fact the whole New Wave scene in my country was started by this record, Kaka de luxe 78 debut (the opposite of a super group as all the members started other famous bands like Radio Futura, La Mode and Pegamoides later on) was recorded with a major influence in mind, Ramones, in their reunion show in 1983 they played I don't wanna walk around with you... all this legacy with just 6000 copies sold the first year
Answering your question, what about this?
No
Television are only considered Post-punk because they played CBGB's, Pere Ubu or Wire are a better fit, but we all know which Dark punk band got some airplay and then suddenly everyone started copying them, yeah, it's Joy Division
Retarded revisionist

Attached: 71+6vwGX6WL._SL1280_.jpg (1280x1280, 163.01K)

Tell me los saicos didn’t exist. I didn’t revise shit.

For metal is dirty heavy guitar and dark sounds. Everything else is optional
For that, while Voodoo Child, Strange Days and Blue Cheer/Led Zeppelin are proto punk, none got the combination of extra heavy dark distorted guitar sounds of black sabbath debut's. Blue Cheer, Deep Purple and Led Zeppellin got close on different ocassions they never got it

Doom metal

Attached: 81oOdDIoGxL._SL1425_ (1).jpg (1425x1425, 443.74K)

With this reply I can immediately tell you that you won't get it, you don't understand the term revisionism, but let me just try, your vision on punk music is the one of a millenial journo working for Noisey dying to get a huge exclusive out, i.e: Rock n roll wasn't invented by Little Richard and Chuck Berry later popularized by Elvis and with Bo Diddley being the main precursor of the style like we all believed!! It was invented by Reverend Marshall Godham the 3rd in 1954 because a chicken got stuck into his guitar body making incredibly raw sounds while preaching the blues"
See, a bunch of literal who Peruvians who didn't know how to play their instruments didn't invent an US genre and they influenced literally nobody, period, but muh first band using the word punk COINCIDENCE, same fucking thing with Sonics and Kinks, very ahead of their time, great tunes, but they were just slightly harder mod music, fucking garage, all of these bands are fucking great, but calling them the inventors of punk is just very fucking stupid, even The Sonics which were actually extremely hard as fuck didn't invent shit
tl;dr A garage band with mod aesthetics it's not automatically punk just because the members were a bunch of schizos plus social factors are key to understand a genre like punk, a 70's genre

Meantime started Nu Metal

Attached: helmet meantime.jpg (1000x1000, 92.48K)

Yes, that’s exactly what they are, you absolute fool.

Attached: eccojams.jpg (383x383, 39.75K)

Yeah, they're not punk, I know
If a band as punk as The Stooges has to be called Proto-punk because there's a consensus in what constitutes punk and what constitutes its predecessors, you shut your latinx whore mouth with your obscure garage bands and accept your stuff is barely Proto-punk

Los Saicos formed in the same year as velvet underground, which is also the first punk band.

It doesn't sound like any other numetal.