What does Any Forums think of dream theater? also prog metal recs...

what does Any Forums think of dream theater? also prog metal recs? i'm a big fan of traditional prog and i'm familiar with tool and porcupine tree.

Attached: Dream_Theater_-_Images_and_Words.jpg (300x300, 205.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GQdIvpyjFTw
youtube.com/watch?v=CZpKpnFstPA
youtube.com/watch?v=CwDDdo9DWB4
youtube.com/watch?v=CKeSng_DDhg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I will never listen to a single album by them because of their atrocious album art

try this

dream theater - hollow years live at budokan

One of my favorite bands. Imagine still being filtered by prog wankery.

images and words is untouchable imo
Recs:
Symphony X - Divine wings of tragedy
Fates warning - Perfect symmetry

rn i like Opeth more than all of those, Blackwater Park might be the best prog album of the 21st century

Great band.
You should give Teramaze a listen.

I really liked their technicality. Amazing chord progressions, harmony, and melody. However, I feel like their music just doesn't convey emotional power. For me it's like listening to classical Etudes. They exhibit great skill, but kinda lacking in entertainment capability. Just my opinion. Please don't roast me.

Great to see them live, but I can't listen to any of their albums at home.
Opeth is in a league of its own.

Dream Theater is not bad at all. Their reputation has come from the fact that they are trapped between prog rock fans that don't like metal, metal fans that don't have any attention span, and their mainstream popularity exposing them up against a general audience that typically cannot appreciate theatricality.
Try Naishikyo Sekai. It's similar to Dream Theater but with a schizo The Sound of Perseverance/Watchtower spin (actually don't try it if you dislike those)
youtube.com/watch?v=GQdIvpyjFTw
If you like Opeth check out Anekdoten, it's like Opeth + King Crimson
youtube.com/watch?v=CZpKpnFstPA

Don't like their music at all.
Like watching Mike Portnoy drum.
Also John Myung is only person I've seen pull this off live.
youtube.com/watch?v=CwDDdo9DWB4

have you tried haken?

Attached: 02 Visions.jpg (225x225, 8.08K)

i don't agree with you but your opinion is respectable. cover art is important.

They're good, but I really miss Kevin Moore. The romantic/neo-classical element made them so unique, now they're still the standard but the crowd has definitely closed in.

If you're into more melodic prog metal:

Orphaned Land - Mabool
Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (and The Perfect Element Pt. 1)
Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night
Styx - Crash of the Crown

Attached: cover.jpg (1000x1000, 813.39K)

I find the instrumentals aren't as interesting as people think they are. The solos are often shred style and really repetitive, not saying much, not even technically interesting, just shreddy. I like their slower songs like spirit carries on where they get melodic.

live scenes from new york is the greatest live album of all time. the astonishing is one of their best albums.

When I was 12 I thought this was the best album in the world
If I was gay I would still listen to it. Actually I'm gonna listen to it now

tried to listen to it and yeah it's beautiful but at the same time I don't get how anyone can listen to this shit. is it because im not gay? it feels like some weird illuminati shit. There is some greatness here but the way to really appreciate it is to be completely brainwashed on some illuminati shit. It feels like the me that was still brainwashed by 90s and early 2000s movies was able to love this album but after breaking out of that mainstream media reality it doesn't really hit.

Any prog metal rleases you guys are looking forward to this year?

Meds

New Sigh album soon.
youtube.com/watch?v=CKeSng_DDhg

Attached: Sigh - Shiki.jpg (700x700, 138.25K)