/prod/- music production general

"Make It Big" Edition

Post what you're looking for in feedback.
GIVE feedback to GET feedback.

Upload WIPs to Vocaroo (or any other user site). You may NOT link to Soundclouds, Bandcamp - anything resembling self-promotion will be ignored.

Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials
pastebin.com/qtDwktHP

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Previous: thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Attached: tumblr_p9cszpeAXj1x2l7plo2_540.gif (513x795, 2.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

voca.ro/1l9NEaVSfT8M
vocaroo.com/1gLjARvF28Wb
voca.ro/153lXsFl4QFW
vocaroo.com/1hmcPqi2yISw
vocaroo.com/17XH08dpk6nQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

so lemme get this straight

mixing is making sure all the levels are balanced and the vocals are coming through clear, and mastering is making it so that it's palatable for all devices and isn't too harsh or too dull?

new song by my band mixed by me, just got the master, any thoughts?

indie guitar/punk/feedback/harmonies

voca.ro/1l9NEaVSfT8M

Attached: trudeau.jpg (1406x1057, 646.2K)

do people still use serum

>load up serum
>change literally nothing about the sound

ah, perfect

I'm short on good ideas for songs. I've been doing this for so long but it hasn't really gotten easier to make consistently great music. Especially with the accelerating pace of creating content these days I feel like I need to be doing a new song daily. sigh

This is the most recent thing I've done and although I think it's pretty cool and different from what I've done in the past I'm not confident others will like it.

vocaroo.com/1gLjARvF28Wb

Basically

What do you think about that groove?
voca.ro/153lXsFl4QFW

can you play guitar to this beat?

>I feel like I need to be doing a new song daily
I know you're trolling but as a semi-prolific writer i'll toss it in:

my strategy, which was once definitely "write and complete a new song every day" (which was manageable at the time because my songs were not very ambitious or demanding and I could do most of them in like 20 minutes now lol) has evolved into "come up with a new idea or two every day" and work on any previous standout ideas as needed

Obviously not every song can be good, and it's often difficult to tell which are the good ideas initially, so I find this pace helps to mitigate the amount of time wasted on bad songs while still letting you throw as much shit at the wall as possible

i only use music theory to understand what the fuck the thing/sound/technique i like in another song is called so i can do it or look up how to do it, to recall my favorite patterns without actually having to open up my old files, and to not spend an eternity figuring out what words mean in a plugin
but it's probably shitty when rigidly applied to composition

Use PP + Pigments + Diva/Dune and maybe Omnisphere/Kontakt/Nexus for presetfagging
There's your endgame, no need to have anything else

Can anyone recommend any good house/trance preset packs for vital? I already got a couple from Demis Hellen.

vocaroo.com/1hmcPqi2yISw
rate this draft of a distortion hell

Soothing voice, great quality prod wise but not really my thing so i cant really judge it

Now this is some weird shit
Would def fit in some indie game in a weird town or some shit

2technical4me but yes, i imagine grooving to this would be fun

protip: hire some dude on fiverr to do both for you for 10 bucks so you can spend time actually creating music instead

this was my final red pill, now im finally making music semi regularly and actually finish songs instead of forever trying to make it sound just right

maybe in the olden times. but like the word 'producer' no longer means 'the guy who gets all the performers together and oversees the sessions', mixing and mastering have blurred meaning now. mixing is any number of processes for sound maximizing and usually ties directly into producing/sound design these days, and mastering is most definitely for as much enhancement as possible. unless you're in post production. that has rules

theorylets cope and seethe but imagine trying to write a book without being able to read
don't use any of it in your music, who cares, but good luck explaining anything to anyone about it. maybe if you can pull a michael jackson and just sing everything into a voice memo recorder perfectly you can get your thoughts down

Why is music production specifically so frustrating? There's no guides regarding how to make different genres/styles. And there's a million different ways to do every little thing so you just need to figure out "what works for you". It feels like I'd have an easier time making music just learning an instrument.

I know not exactly prod but what is a good record pool for House and electronic music? I've used DJcity before but half the files I download from them corrupt in Serato for some reason. Been doing a few mixes recently to get hyped up to /prod/ again

The instrumental here is a bit weak compared to the vocals. Drums especially could use some love. I know they're sequenced but you can dirty them up and make them sound more present. Vocals are hard to understand but that's part of the style I can kinda let it go
This is almost coherent as an abstract piece but imo it needs more structure to make sense to most audiences. Maybe spend some more time on setting up sections, before writing, and then give it a few days of effort vs one a day. Earthbound OST vibes though
Really depends on what the bass does but it's not a bad groove. beginning is a little basic and it's really apparent that the whole thing is sequenced
Guitar tone is nice but the drums are weak. the snare in particular is too high pitched imo. Sounds like a library track or something for an OST. If that's a good thing or not is up to you lol

>There's no guides regarding how to make different genres/styles.
All of my wat?

>Guitar tone is nice but the drums are weak. the snare in particular is too high pitched imo.
Oh, yeah, i definitely hear it now, lol
vocaroo.com/17XH08dpk6nQ
This snare is a bit better, i reckon.
>Sounds like a library track or something for an OST. If that's a good thing or not is up to you lol
lmao hopefully it wont when ive added vocals and gotten it mixed/mastered more properly

thanks for the feedback, user

>This is almost coherent as an abstract piece but imo it needs more structure to make sense to most audiences. Maybe spend some more time on setting up sections, before writing, and then give it a few days of effort vs one a day. Earthbound OST vibes though
I don't really understand how to give it more structure. I really suck at developing structure around a small idea. I wanted to mention that before actually.

Thank you. Yeah it's a little weird huh.

On your track, I think the part with guitar and no bass could use something more to make it more dynamic. I get like a flying-to-grounded energy from the call and response of it but not really flying convincingly yet. There'll still be space for vocals I'm sure.

That seems more realistic to strive for. I guess it's a bit of social media fomo hitting me