What's it going to take to make guitar relevant again in popular music...

What's it going to take to make guitar relevant again in popular music? How do we get zoomers to start playing guitar again?
Obviously guitar will always be central to metal and country and other genres, but among popular music like rock and pop, what can be done?

Attached: Fender_Highway_1_Stratocaster.jpg (536x1024, 108.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v9XIUDn3FqM
youtube.com/watch?v=inSCS-qZvKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nazi punk bands

>among popular music like rock and pop, what can be done?
Western music? At this point, nothing can be done I'm afraid. Playing guitar is just not cool anymore. Polyphia and Tim Henson are pretty popular this days, but that's about as popular as guitar music can possibly get in current climate.
However, guitar is still prevalent in all kinds of J-Pop (which is essentially 80s pop on steroids). Even in an EDM track you can hear a kickass guitar solo every now and then.

Guitar will never go away and is still hugely popular among metal, country, Japanese music and other genres. Guitar sales are the highest they've ever been
So when people say it's "dying" that's not quite the full story
But you're right, it's just not mainstream anymore

Whatever it is, you're not gonna get away with average guitarist standards of skill.
Shitty guitarists are what killed guitar, and they deserve every bit of it.

>make guitar relevant again in popular music
Why?

alot of of rap beats have guitar

I disagree
No one wants to hear shredding and no one cares about your diminished minor sweep arpeggios, etc
Guitar got too masturbatory in the 80s and it took grunge to kill that. Grunge made it cool to suck at guitar
Then Jack White comes along and plays his blooze stuff and again it was cool to suck at guitar
No one wants to see "good" guitarists in popular music. It's the reason Ed Sheeran is the popular with his acoustic nonsense

But no one is listening to rap and thinking "this is cool, I want to learn guitar now"
It's all played by unknown studio session players

Queercore punk is bringing it back.

>What's it going to take to make guitar relevant again in popular music?

Nothing. Guitar is a lame boomer instrument, it's over. Playing guitar in 2022 is the equivalent of a poindexter with an accordion in 1955 playing polka music.

Pic related, this is how you dorks look to everyone now. The funny part is you have no idea this is what you really look like lol

Attached: unnamed (2).jpg (406x512, 58.35K)

RAPED TWICE! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Zoomers will never be cool no matter what they do

Its funny that you say that, because whenver i pull out my guitar or even my bass i more often than not get laid soon after (by a new, young woman). Once you get in a band or even have a few jam sessions with a small audience you will start getting so much sex, your abs will literally feel like they are on fire.

>poindexter with an accordion in 1955 playing polka music.
Beyond based.

Yeah I don't know why that zoomer is pretending that's a bad thing

Guitar is all over Japanese music and VGM, zoomers love both of those.
Speaking of that, any anons have recs for songs like these?
>youtube.com/watch?v=v9XIUDn3FqM
>youtube.com/watch?v=inSCS-qZvKU

What gear should I get if I want to start recording?

The problem is, in order to learn guitar you need to learn music written 30-50 years ago by guys who are either well into their 70ies or dead already.
There are no rock or metal bands out there that sound both "modern" and approachable (in terms of learning) at the same time. Animals As Leaders? Chances are you won't be able to play that at any time in your life. Polyphia? Periphery? Plini? Covet? Well, good luck, maybe in a decade or so of diligent learning you'll be able to do about 10% of what they can do, whereas it takes about 3-4 month to learn The Beatles song or Paranoid. But I totally understand zoomies who don't wanna learn Paranoid. If I were them, I'd want some fresh stuff too

A recording interface, the Focusrite Scarlett is an excellent affordable option, a DAW on your computer and some good plugins

>Japanese music
Niche as fuck
>VGM
Also pretty niche and orchestras are more prevalent anyway

but if i get the scarlett, how will I track a wah pedal and how can I step on a button to go into overdrive? Im thinking of line6 helix, but its a lot of money

>youtube.com/watch?v=v9XIUDn3FqM
>that solo
i'm gonna go learn it right fucking now

Never really thought about it like that and I think you're right. Guitar is a rear view kind of instrument. To "git gud" you need to grind and grind for years and no one wants to do that, they want easy, fun and accessible songs they can start playing right away, which means playing the classic guitar songs of the past.
But Jimmy Page is 78 right now, Slash is 56, all these meme shredder guys are in or near their 60s. To a 15 year old zoomer they don't want to look and play like their grandpa. They want to look like their contemporaries who are playing other genres.
People like Henson are nice because they're younger and appealing to zoomers, but no zoomer is willing to put in the time and effort to play like he does
I think for that reason many are just going to electronic music because it's more accessible and easier to get good at early

Pretty sure they're all MIDI compatible. Just plug it in and go. Or if not then look for one that is

user, scarlett doesnt have a midi input or expression input nor does it have a way to hook up foot switches.

Shure SM57 or electrovoice 635a microphone if you need it.

midi controller or you do it all untracked. I hate to say it but working in the box turns you into a dawfag and you'll spend more time on synths and drums than playing guitar.

this is the kind of cringe he was talking about kek

Then don't get the Scarlett. I just was using it as an example of babby's first interface for 90% of people trying to get into recording