Is there a big four in shoegaze? I can only think of 3 bands that defined the genre

Is there a big four in shoegaze? I can only think of 3 bands that defined the genre

Attached: mbv_kevin.jpg (374x494, 41.96K)

mbv
jamc
cocteau twins
slowdive

>cocteau twins

are you a retard?

He's right, although the Jesus and Mary Chain was just as glaring and stupid an error. Neither of those bands were ever shoegaze.
To answer your question, no, there is not a "big four". If you had perused any of the shoegaze charts from the sticky you would have seen that they are all branching trees from Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, Nowhere by Ride, and Souvlaki by Slowdive.

More like big 3+1/2
MBV
Slowdive
Ride
And of one these: Lush, Pale Saints, Swerdriver depending on your preferences.

Matallica = My Bloody Valentine
Megadeth = Slowdive
Slayer = Ride
Anthrax = ?

>jamc and cocteau twins aren’t shoegaze
filtered

i love the people mentioning Ride as if they aren’t a peripheral band

same with lush. shitter band.

I think he means none of those bands actually saw themselves as shoegaze, even though it can argued they pioneered aspects of the genre.

You could say that for most of these, there is no "big four". I like Ride a lot but yeah, not on the same level.

I mean you may disagree with it but loveless, souvlaki, and nowhere are pretty often held up as the big 3 shoegaze albums (and those bands the big 3 shoegaze bands). personally, going blank again is the best album from any of them in my esteemed opinion.

>getting music history info from Any Forums stickies
ngmi

>shoegays
lol

Attached: laff.gif (245x207, 2M)

coctaue twins are not shoegaze

LUSH

Fifth is Catherine Wheel, sixth Swervedriver and seventh is Pale Saints

nigger.

shoegaze as a genere is peripheral

I used to think that for a while. I think the only thing Chris Ott ever convinced me of is that Ride do deserve to be on that pedestal, even if a large part of that comes from their live prowess.

MBV
Ride
Lush
Slowdive

And then you have other lesser bands like:

Medicine
Curve
The Verve (early)
Starflyer 59
Chapterhouse
The Telescopes
Kitchens of Distinction