It's their Pet Sounds

It's their Pet Sounds

Attached: Blink-182_-_Blink-182_cover.jpg (300x300, 46.57K)

and their pinkerton

AND MY AXE!

I'm sick of blink. everyone request your favorite pinback song on 91x. it's time for kino

this is an interesting perspective, it makes sense

looking back i now see how truly out of the box and mature this album was for it's time, genre and competition, it also changed music (for better or worse) as emo blew up right after that and now pop music is diluted with singers who want to copy tom delonges vocal annunciations

The Madvillainy of Pop Punk fr fr

Sorry to be a pleb, for me it's Penelope. Literally one of the greatest songs ever written.

>emo blew up right after that
It was blowing up at the same time. Take This to Your Grave, Tell All Your Friends, Deja Entendu, all released that same year. blink wasn't really prescient, but they weren't behind either.

don't worry, penelope is quality. all their singles are fantastic, even Fortress. their entire albums and rob crow's solo stuff is just damn underrated. From Here to Nowhere got played in the afternoon last friday. t'was fantastic, Sender also appeared on loudspeaker on the station a couple days later

yeah they were different lanes.

*from nothing to nowhere oops lmao
Penelope appeared at 12:45 when i dipped out one midnight a few weeks ago, they never played it again since lol, so it's cool seeing some pinback love slowly coming back. hoping for other local bands to do the same, would help all the 80s/grunge overfill if they're not doing any variety with it.

So what the fuck is your point? Who were they preceding?

Tom DeLonge had been doing what came to be known as emo hair as early as 2000. Emo in the 90s was very different from the emo that blew up, the emo the world knows as the 'scene' much like disco in the 70s. Blink was making proto-2000s emo songs like Adams Song and Stay Together For The Kids prior to the emo scene exploding. Blink did not create emo, but they did undoubtedly popularize it. Without them there wouldnt have been Fallout Boy, Panic at the Disco, Paramore. My Chemical Romance would had not gotten so huge if Blink did not release Self-Titled. And then they vanished. For 4 or 5 years. And only came back after the emo movement was dead and over. They are rock legends. Their music from 2009 and beyond is garbage though.

Self-Titled is their Pinkerton, Pet Sounds, In the Aeroplane Over The Sea. It is an album that was massively influential but at the time it was not appreciated at such. Especially similar to Pinkerton as Weezer was also pigeonholed as a fun-loving goofy band and then proceeded to break up after releasing their masterpiece.

Self-titled is a defining album for the 2000s decade and one of the greatest albums in rock music looking back now.

I kind of agree. I hated the album when it was released but now I love it. When you think about how it's the same band that made Enema of the State it's a little shocking. Definitely experimental and post-hardcore at some points. I hear a Fugazi influence.

makes sense i could see pitchfork reviewing this album as a historical review and giving it an 8.8 or something after seeing the impact it had on music and culture as a whole

i agree on some points but I think the album sounds more unique than emo

i can't deny the influence it had for the rest of the decade and even now with any pop punk / emo that exists now, even in lil peep songs and other cloud rap and drain gang stuff, its all heavily inspired by the 'tom delonge' sound

Ok, but the user said that emo blew up right after it came out, which is just not true. I can agree that Stay Together for the Kids is relatively cutting edge for the mainstream in 2001, but by 03 it was already a very well-defined "current big thing."

even the album cover has that mid 2000s emo look and this came out a year or two before everything blew up wew lad

p4k gave enema a 7.5 in 2020 and enema is just a really refined album doing nothing new, its just a lot of fun and super catchy. self titled is a superior and more mature album in so many ways and brought a lot of new things that helped move popular rock music into a new direction at the time. i could see them giving it an 8.5 minimum if they decided to review it

Attached: 16c4a86c89f9feeffbf94869babd3918.png (512x345, 255.95K)

If you hated the album when it was released then you only ended up liking it because everyone else did. This is not won't forward thinkers, so I can conclusively say that you are not a forward thinker, but a sheep in a sea of npcs.

>sheep in a sea of npcs
Said the phoneposter.

first off, what a retarded assumption

second off, nah, i was 12 years old when it came out and i was into hiphop and britpop mostly and also extremely immature with a super narrow mind. i listened to the album again 15 years later when i was an adult and more mature. its a great album.

Maybe you should give the album a listen/relisten today.

exactly so it took 15 years to understand that should have at most taken you a few weeks to understand regardless of age. at 12 I was listening to Can's Future Days in its entirety. I don't know what to tell you desu.

How old are you now?

So you agree that self-titled is an important and exceedingly good album. Got it.

of course idiot, what did you think i saying

i wasn't listening to can, but i was listening to mf doom, gza, slowdive, disco inferno, frank zappa, velvet underground, throbbing gristle and sun ra at 12. either way man, it's a great album, i just didn't give this album a chance until much later.

Neighborhoods was great though.