Alt-Country

Anyone else following the Alt-Country scene at the moment? Absolutely by far the best singer-songwriter Zoomer genre currently hands down.
youtube.com/watch?v=VU8As9ymPvw
youtube.com/watch?v=oOIJecsnaWg
youtube.com/watch?v=m_s3NVI1res
youtube.com/watch?v=2PFdmQSrxSw
youtube.com/watch?v=tht9XKwZvXI
Honestly, fuck Nashville. Country is back and Zoomers of all people are the ones leading it.

Attached: Colter-Wall_Songs-of-the-Plains.jpg (320x320, 27.32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3p9MAs0GsRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/3p9MAs0GsRM
for me it's Orville Peck

You fw The Heavy Horses/Justin Mahoney, OP?

fuck yeah dude!

Sturgill Simpson, Sierra Ferrell, Benjamin Tod, John Mooreland, Dougie Poole, Esther Rose, Willi Carlisle. All so good

>Justin Mahoney
Absolutely love Murder Ballads & Other Love Songs.

It honestly shocks me this stuff isn't way more popular. It's genuinely the best music being produced at the moment and that's coming from an ex touring producer/DJ.
In fact thinking of how I can incorporate this western sound into a psychedelic electronic album atm.

orville peck is so corny

I think he's great

colter walls dad was a major politician in canada and he grew up extremely privileged, good to see hes now LARPing as some kind of pill popping country outlaw kek

This music is INCREDIBLY popular right now. Between the zoomer "y'allternative" thing and all the goofy western fashion revival. Anything suburban kids can use to make themselves feel like ropers is popular right now. Look at all the view counts on these videos. Colter beats himself up because his music is much more popular than he intended and now he's expected to play shows for 30,000 drunk Vancouverites screaming for him to play only his most viral songs. Sierra Ferrell just got a record deal, is constantly touring, including on the Opry. This is why its ironic when OP says "fuck nashville" as if most of the alternative country besides the red dirt stuff isn't still coming from the nashville scene. A lot of this stuff is very closely related to contemporary nashville singer-songwriter music but obviously with the sentimental western inflection. Go look on TikTok and see a bunch of Luke Combs listeners using Colters audio because his voice sounds "badass", taking a video of their veiny teenage welder hand gripping their F250 steering wheel.

People hate the "clique-ey-ness" of the Nashville industry, but the throwback country/western trend really isn't that much different. The GemsOnVHS and Western AF production teams really are just a more alternative boy's club of people propelling their friends into success just like Nashville, it just doesn't have all this money behind it. It certainly is sanitized, and usually is a revolving cast of like the same 12 people who get the most views, and then send their friends on the shows so they can get picked up. This isn't a bad thing but it's still gatekeeping.

Willi isn't just an incredibly talented musician, he's also a really warm and genuine guy, and a nice person to work with as I've heard from a mutual friend.

I used to back when I was living in Texas (my whole life) now I live in California and don’t really. I loved red dirt, I had some friends in bands and stuff.

Doesn’t matter to me. His music is great and he gas genuine appreciation for his influences and the lifestyles he writes about. The band Midland was founded by an underwear model and a music video director, and their music kicks ass.

I smoked a joint with him in my friend's Prius one time. Seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Calling him extremely privileged is a bit of an overstatement. His dad was briefly important on the provincial level but didn't seem to be super wealthy or anything. From what I've seen his home life was pretty normal middle class.

The problem with him, not just that he's Canadian, but obviously that he's western in aesthetic only. You can tell he's a country music fan but he would LIKE to be Lady Gaga. His music has actually gotten much a little bit more of a country sound with the addition of pedal steel and some more production techniques, but this doesn't really discount the songwriting which can be a lot drabber than most genuine country writers. Nudie suit does not a country musician make. A lot of his music comes across more Roy Orbison than it does any other country music. The big problem with Peck is that he actually just isn't that talented, more of a right place at the right time situation. Great frontman and personality, but it doesn't take much watching his live stuff to see his vocal range completely fail outside the studio, and he often just talk-sings the lyrics when he knows he's not gonna be able to summon those low notes when he has to sing at stage-volume. This is the problem with being a sexy gravely voiced cowboy when you're just some canadian twink. I will say that he has a good sense of harmony and direction in his songwriting but he just strikes me as a superficial dude, but that's not anything new in country music.

Midland is definitely kickass. More country than Orville Peck AND more nudie suit. The band all wears super different hats too, which I think is good. The Cattleman crease has kind of been ruined by y'allternative music, and I think now artists like Orville Peck would be scared of looking like Elton John should he take off his legitimizing hat. Idk his name but the bass player in Midland looks like he eats a pack of cigarettes for breakfast which is something this scene needs. Midland is definitely nu-country for rich people though. Like if you wanna look like Colter go buy some dungarees, but the Midland dudes all sell designer BS clothes that I can't stop getting ads for.

This is the most weird thread in this board now. Looks like every post was written by a group of pr agents and bots.

>Country is back
it never left

>Zoomers of all people are the ones leading it
morgan wallen alone is proof of this

Where the hell is the love for charley crockett? I never see anyone mention him. I saw him open for Willie a week ago

All new "alt/outlaw" country is subversive bullshit. Sturgill Simpson himself protested outside the Opry calling for gun control, and you can find countless examples of all the other new artist making the exact same stances, while pretending "Nashville doesn't want me". These people make attempts to look and sound like 70's country, in particular Waylon Jennings, meanwhile shitting on and defaming them and everything they stood for. Interestingly enough, it seems to be bro country guys who remain uncucked, despite their music being terrible. Country music is dead and has been for a while, because everything that makes country relevant doesn't exist anymore. It's all make believe larping now.

listen to country teasers instead

Emotional liberalism isn't really new in country music. I definitely agree that there's nothing outlaw about mandatory gun buybacks but even oldheads like Vince Gill make antiracist political songs now. Don't forget Willie Nelson (not a gungrabber but definitely a classical liberal), and also CSNY might be relevant here. There's nothing wrong with wanting an equitable world but there certainly is too many PC people and gungrabbers in this new scene. They've got the right idea but these sensitive people really haven't existed in any. situation where they understand the right to self preservation. Colter Wall is probably based even though he's a trust fund kid.

Willie is actually a grabber, my mistake.

Attached: 2u61.jpg (768x894, 107.23K)