Important artists/bands

For each decade starting from the 60s, pick one artist/band that changed and defined what popular music was at that time and had the most cultural influence.
To me:
60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd
80s - The Smiths or The Cure, can't choose
90s - Radiohead
00s - Kanye West
10s - Kendrick Lamar
20s - ???

Attached: SharedImage-111304.jpg (1100x1100, 171.98K)

>the smiths or the cure
>radiohead

Attached: 1654735519425.jpg (1084x1336, 214.22K)

>radiohead
>not nirvana
Lol

this is pathetic

You can hate them, but they are/were important.

Kinda hesitated on this one too, you're right. But they stayed more on the rock side of things, Radiohead had a more "popular"/broader appeal than the rock crowd.

I'm bored!

no way radiohead had that much cultural influence at the time
the only pick i really feel confident about is timbaland for the 00s
his production was the defining sound of that decade imo

not to the extent of changing or defining popular music at the time
go look at the billboard charts from the 80s and 90s and come back when you're done

I mean Creep was an enormous hit, and OKC was really huge... but maybe Nirvana is more fitting.
Don't you think that Kanye's production was at least as much defining as Timbaland's? As far as pop rap goes.

kanye was also super important but timbaland was doing it earlier and had the same amount of hits if not more

I don't think Billboard charts are a good measure of what I'm talking about. There were a great deal of massive hits each year that were sent into oblivion one year later. All the bands I cited from the earlier decades also stood the test of time and are still recognized as very influencial in today's culture.

Mmh fair enough. Good pick.

If we're talking about defining,

60s Beatles
70s Bee Gees
80s MJ
90 Mariah Carey
00 Eminem
10 Kanye

Do you mean like personally, because there's already a pretty established idea of the most culturally influential bands. In most cases it isn't even close. Yours stinks of rym. Anyway it's probably something like this
>50s
Elvis, Buddy Holly
>60s
The Beatles
>70s
Sex Pistols, David Bowie
>80s
Michael Jackson, U2
I would've said Smiths, Cure, R.E.M. if I was talking about personal favorites.
>90s
Nirvana

>n-no
Absolutely daft
Michael Jackson, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Prince, Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, fucking Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc were all far FAR more influential on the trajectory and definition of pop music at their time, and frankly even so today

Good picks.

Nah not personally. I don't think it's that much established, because people (and especially music people) really like to say 'X is one of the most influential acts' when in reality they only really represented themselves.
Your picks are good, especially Bowie, I hesitated too.

Yeah sure, but I don't agree on the "far far more", because you also have to include the point of view of the musicians that followed, and the new styles of music that got ultra popular each decade.

basically this

>I mean Creep was an enormous hit, and OKC was really huge
LOL

The unfortunate thing about this sort of format is that it's so reductionist. Rock dies in 69, Metal never exists, hip hop doesn't appear until 00 and kills every other genre of music immediately.

>Nah not personally.
Then I think you're overstating the influence of alternative bands on popular music. The 80s had a division between the mainstream and alternative music. Joy Division and the Pixies are cited as massively influential, but how much of their sound do you hear in pop today as opposed to MJ?
>I don't think it's that much established, because people (and especially music people) really like to say 'X is one of the most influential acts' when in reality they only really represented themselves.
Your 70s-90s (probably 10s) picks feel like that to me. If you break down pop music history into events you can get a pretty good idea of who affected the most.
>emergence of rock in the 50s
>development and stagnation of rock in the 60s/70s
>punk rock in the 70s
>pop music as we know it begins taking shape in the 80s
>stagnation of mainstream rock with a vibrant alternative scene in the 80s
>Nirvana btfos everyone
also

60s - The Beatles
70s - David Bowie or The Stones
80s - David Bowie
90s - Nirvana (although I much prefer MBV's influence in Britain during the 90s)
00s - The Strokes
10s - None
20s - None

I'd argue Taylor Swift for the 2010's

>10s - Kendrick Lamar

should be Mumford and Sons or Imagine Dragons

Attached: 1654121076196.webm (1280x720, 2.13M)