Bowie's music is overrated

His best work was with Eno and Eno was doing the heavy lifting anyway. The big problem is that his music is soulless in a way that is not endearing (unlike Talking Heads). That may have stood out in the 70s but we're 70 years into post-war irony and his music just fades into the ether. He was a great performance artist though.

T.Rex and Roxy Music still hold up.

Attached: image-20150713-9480-ospmei.jpg (640x525, 18.33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rajof9Qigos
youtube.com/watch?v=X5eyGfFqvls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree with everything in this post except the implication that Talking Heads were soulless.

Based.
Bowie is Le Fashion Icon before being a good musician or even a good vocalist. It's just his image and persona.
His only good album is Low and the glam stuff from the 70s aged like milk.

Talking Heads are soulless, albeit in a soulful way. Byrne is autistic. Bowie was just pretending to be. Even 40 years later Fear of Music sounds fresh and unique. I can't say the same for "Heroes" or the Ziggy period.

He was a great performance artist though. Lou Reed wished he could be that cool looking and aloof. If you combined Lou Reed's talent with Bowie's charisma, then you'd have the greatest rock star of all time.

Both were talentless hacks.

Zoomers running wild in this thread

Byrne's autism is precisely why Talking Heads are legitimately soulful. The dude has a genuine appreciation for various styles of music across the world which can't be faked, and synthesizes those influences via pure intuition. Just because it sounds a bit more precise or calculated doesn't mean he's not clearly having fun with it. That's soul through and through.

Glam was important in the context it was the first rebellion against the hippie boomers. Or as bowie wrote "my brothers at home with his beatles and his stones we never got it off on that revolution stuff, what a drag"

youtube.com/watch?v=Rajof9Qigos

Glam was too gay to blow up in america, it wouldnt be till the 80s when glam metal came around

Bowies best run was 67-73
what are you on about

I'm a millennial Eno and Beatles appreciator. Just don't like Bowie. Simple as.

Bowie was a great critic of culture and he explored some great ideas. I just don't think his music is memorable or sounds any good.

>Hylics declaring things to be soulful/soulless
Not denying that Bowie and Eno made their best music together but they're both geniuses in their own right

Attached: 1509319113695.jpg (642x650, 63.66K)

"Heroes" is probably the most overrated album of all time

You Enofags are delusional. He was a glorified synth player on those albums, they were just a continuation of what Bowie was doing with Iggy Pop earlier in 1977. It's no surprise that the album he had the greatest influence on is (correctly) regarded as the weakest of the three.

Yeah

>before being a good musician
"Life on Mars" chords:
F: xx3211
F/E: xx2211
F/Eb: xx1211
D7: xx0212
Gm: 355333
Gm/F: 1x3333
C: x32010
Ab/Eb: x66544
C/E: 032010
Fm: 133111
Ab/Gb: 2x111x
Db: x46664
F/A: x03211
Bbm: x13321
Db/B: x2x121
Bb: x13331
Eb: x68886
Gm: 355333
Gb+: 2xx332
Fm: 133111
Cm: x35543
Ebm: x68876
Gm2: xx5333
Gm/F#: xx4333
Gm/F: xx3333
Gm/E: xx2333

Ironically, Scaruffi's musical illiteracy hinders him most when he's attempting to describe straightforward pop.

Scaruffifags shall hang

Genuinely retarded statement considering both Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory exist, and that's just within Bowie's catalogue. "Heroes" is underrated (within his discography), if anything. The average Bowie "fan" has likely only listened to the title track yet it's by far his best LP.

youtube.com/watch?v=X5eyGfFqvls no way you can listen to this recording and think 'soulless'

I really don't like Ziggy and Hunky Dory is just alright, but I really dislike "Heroes" in particular. The only albums I really love from him are Low and Station to Station