When and why did they go from COOL to CRINGE

When and why did they go from COOL to CRINGE

Attached: R-20249-1280142921.jpg (600x587, 73.03K)

Demon days

When they stopped making Dub.

Plastic Beach was the turning point

They were always cringe

Humanz

Gorillaz through Plastic Beach Damon had great songwriting and range. When he sings he sounds like 2D. The Fall just largely uninspired (makes sense considering he made it all on his ipad while he was touring so it can be forgiven as a side-project), but Humanz afterwards suffered from bad songwriting, too much focus on wrap, bad production choices, and waning vocals. He used to sound like 2D, now he just sounds like Albarn singing funny

when they started shilling watches, probably

Plastic beach was kind of their swan song and the last to still feel somewhat like gorillaz, it exposed what would be the fatal flaws of the band as it way too many fucking features, underdeveloped songs and a general lack of cohesion

Attached: Gorillaz-07-1140x760.jpg (1140x760, 126.51K)

Damon decided he'd milk the band for every last penny he could get from it instead of letting it rest after Plastic Beach, as was intended. Gorillaz became a completely soulless cash cow, but no one cares because ZOMG MY HECKIN CARTOONERINOS ARE MAKING BOPS!!!!

Damon raped his voice the standard British way through excessive smoking. He had lost the ability to sing at the range of The Sounder by plastic beach if not sooner.
Damon got shittier with his collaboration picks. At first it was just like
>"We have this cool rapper Del and some Japanese musician and we made some cool music."
Then it was like
"Do you remembah these washout rappers and rocker from the 80's"
But then it was like "I'm going to make a song with every shit tier artist my pozzed daughter likes".

Then we get the Pink Phantom.

We got noodles thicc thighs out of that though.

Attached: thighs.png (593x1174, 884.91K)

because it's kiddie shit and hopefully you grew up

When they stopped getting the cool shoeshine

Sneep

when they put a shitty telephone effect over the vocals of EVERY song

>ZOMG MY HECKIN CARTOONERINOS ARE MAKING BOPS!!!!
They arent even doing that anymore. They made Saturnz Barz, but all the other animated stuff only happened because of sponsers or was so low quality there was no point in making them. Plus the lore is fucking dead, which is a shame.

They were never even that good to begin with. Their first albums have so much, and I hate using this word, filler. Self-titled more so than Demon Days. The writing was on the wall when Feel Good Inc became a megahit in the US. Plastic Beach has so much fucking trash you have to sift through to get to something listenable. On Melancholy Hill, To Binge, and Rhinestone Eyes are decent tracks.

this, honestly
every gorillaz album is half filler and half great songs

No normal people ever heard that first record until Clint Eastwood became popular again towards the end of the 2000s, and only long after Demon Days came out and produced two hits. We had no choice to accept it for what it was, but to most people it was "hit song on the radio has a cartoon music video. well how about that" and then it was like dork shit for a few years and then it sorta rebounded....I guess.

Moral of the story is: Gorillaz has always been pretty gay, and their perceived gayness can be correlated with the distance from Feel Good Inc that also correlates with the general knowledge of them from people who continued to be aware of them after Feel Good Inc, which is to say, most people were not.

Plastic Beach and the other one might as well have happened in a vacuum, it might as well have been a Blur album. Anime is hip now though, or at least a lot more hip than it used to be (read: girls), so Gorillaz has been resurrected a little bit. Except nobody knows who the fuck Damon Albarn is, so they're just Gorillaz at the end of the day. First two records are still good. Better than any Blur record, that's for sure.

the other day I was walking up to the gas station and I saw some dead animals in the road and there were motorcycles everywhere spewing noise and black exhaust. Flashes of leather and the smiling Donut Man in the distance, just across the street, nearly parallel with the old smokestack they tore down last year. Cars hiss past me and people run past silently, black cans on me, can't hear them, can't hear them, can't hear them, I can hear.....at the library now naked in the soundproof room and peeping out the window towards the biography section. god I am getting hungry in here.....................................

wrong fool

They were always you were just too young to realize it

no idiot

Hate to be the one to break it to you

They thrived on the lore and those dark late 90s/early y2k aesthetics, and they worked pretty well as a fashion project, better so than as a band I'd argue. Music wise they never were anything special, some okay tunes here and there and lots of filler. I gotta say Hong Kong is a great track though.

The once somewhat unique personality of the band and each member was completely replaced, nowadays is just Damon with a bunch of senseless features and poor production and aesthetic choices.