Jazz is dead

>classically trained composers write tons of beautiful pop music or musical movie/theater soundtracks
>talented musicians pick those up and incorporate ragtime, thus creating swing, still faithful to the original harmony
>swing music of comparable quality to standards is also written
>some time passes and it gets old
>bored musicians start "composing" by noodling over jazz standards and calling it a melody, thus creating bebop
>20 more years of mostly this shit and variants, with only a handful of good composers in that time
>it gets old again
>"hey let's make songs that are just 20 minutes of noodling over one chord with these weird instruments lol"
>the first jazz fusion was born
>"hey let's try playing exactly what we were playing before but w a c k y"
>avant-garde born
>"hey let's try just playing fucking noise lmao"
>free jazz
>some people that were previously big names in jazz save the day by writing good fusion
>actually a pretty good era for jazz that lasts until the late '90s, but nobody ever seems to give a fuck
>eventually they get old and retire or just play for fun, their best work already behind them
>around that time, hip-hop producers exist
>loop 3 seconds of ancient piano and call it creating
>good rappers use those beats and now they're here to stay
>in a parallel timeline, actual jazz musicians are once again bored
>berklee preaches the lydian mode
>modern jazz turns into wacky syncopated piano and saxophone outside lick spam
>elsewhere, jazz has become no more than a flavor that you can add to other music to make it sound smart
jazzbros, it's over...

Attached: dead.png (1200x909, 254.83K)

Dumbest post on Any Forums right now

Took only a handful of sentences before the post turned batshit lol

Jazz is for fucking weirdos lol. Not psuedo-intellectual enough to be classical. Not creative enough to be prog-rock.

you simply can't accept the truth

I believe that you believe that.

>zero explanation or arguments
deep down you know that descending 2-5s were a downgrade

> based jazz enjoyer detected
So please redpill me about jazz? How can I get into it? What is essential Any Forums jazz listening?

Outside lick spam is based and if you can’t handle it you’re a pleb

the only time it doesn't get boring 0.3 seconds into the solo is when it's dave liebman doing it

There's simply no money in jazz anymore; it's the worst selling music genre today. So where is the incentive for talented black kids to pick up a horn? For any musical genre to bloom or even stay alive it needs at least some commercial appeal. Jazz is most certainly dead, and it has been for a long time. No white college students playing in subsidized cultural centers will change that.

No. If the rhythm section is good it makes for the best jazz.

That's roughly how i feel about it. Where would you say the talent is right now? I've been looking for it in vain for a while.
The money is definitely in pop and rap, but i'm not sure the current state of those is what i want.

runegrammofon.com

you answered your own question. jazz isn't sexy, it's something pasty white college nerds play. it was sexy in the 1950s but not now. if music can't help you get laid it's not gonna sell or have mass appeal.

I thought this thead was going to be about the instrumental Grateful Dead cover band, Jazz Is Dead. :-( Jimmy Herring rips on those albums.

>Where would you say the talent is right now?

Some of it is in electronic music

Attached: 4534534545.jpg (750x450, 61.65K)

Although jazz had been declining after the early 60s most will argue Kenny G was the final nail in the coffin.

/thread

>So where is the incentive for talented black kids to pick up a horn?
There are talented black kids who play jazz but it's no sexier than white guys doing it and it's just elevator music for black bougies ala Kemasai Washington.