ITT: "Sellout" albums in an artist's discography that you actually love, and why

ITT: "Sellout" albums in an artist's discography that you actually love, and why

Attached: Sellout.jpg (483x422, 51.19K)

I love the cover
So cheeky

Attached: 71zD-UhnsNL._SX466_.jpg (466x497, 46.94K)

Bleed American, it’s just really fun sugary pop punk with great melodies
I prefer their earlier more legit emo stuff, but Bleed American has some of my favorite JEW (Sweetness, A Praise Chorus, title track)
Sound wise you can say it was a sellout album but not really in terms of distribution, Static Prevails and Clarity were released on Capitol Records then they moved to DreamWorks for Bleed American. So they’d already been on a major label

/thread

Cause the songs are good.

Attached: Alkaline_Trio-Crimson-front.jpg (1377x1381, 487.06K)

best modest mouse album

Attached: C65C3713-6BC7-4078-83BC-9F959161F011.jpg (316x316, 7K)

They turned it around and make real music

Attached: 36526620-B9BD-47A7-9415-EAC265F88329.jpg (1050x1042, 221.09K)

Drop out boogie is a good song and then after that I really like Observatory Crest. I'm glad that they got back together for brick bats and ashtray heart, it's a really good album.

Attached: images.jpeg-2.jpg (225x225, 7.31K)

yeah kino album. Their big mtv single is great too

on this one they did the opposite

Attached: file.png (300x300, 138.24K)

Load by Metallica

Bleed American is fucking great

It's clear that this was an "ultimatum from the label" album with the super polished production and singles that sound scientifically programmed for early 00s mainstream rock radio, but I think his songwriting chops still shine brightly on a lot of tracks, and quite a few stand up with his 80s classics imo. On the downside, the title track may have accidentally invented bro-country.

Attached: 1381518712-4305.jpg (598x600, 112.96K)

It's indeed very good but best?
The Tom Waits inspired tracks are pretty mediocre, and I don't like Black Cadillacs very much either. One Chance is catchy but very very basic. Not much going on.

yeah i dunno not a big fan of theirs desu

Very tongue in cheek about the whole thing, with songs like the title track, Stupid MF and Bullshit making it crystal clear what the deal was. Funny thing is these songs kind of echoed my teenage view of pop music as a whole so the sellout record that was about shitting on selling out appealed to me very quickly. Still think it's their best album to date even now if I'm being honest.

Attached: yrta.jpg (500x500, 44.3K)

i always thought these guys were better when they were working by themselves
but when they all go all-out pop, it's stupid fun

Attached: ymo.jpg (500x500, 27.64K)

it helped that they produced and wrote a lot of 80s jpop stuff and for idol singers which allowed them to develop strong pop songwriting chops. a lot of what falls under the city pop or "techno kayo" umbrella was produced by the ymo members. hosono in particular did a lot of stuff

A lot of diehard, boomer Rush fans will tell you this is where they went wrong/sold out, but while it is their most commercially successful and radio friendly album, it is very well done. Compared to Yes with 90125, it was a smoother transition to the 80s.

Attached: 134007_1600x.jpg (499x500, 60.13K)

>A lot of diehard, boomer Rush fans will tell you this is where they went wrong/sold out
The only Rush "fans" I've ever seen trash this album were Any Forumstants fishing for contrarian brownie points.

>The only Rush "fans" I've ever seen trash this album were Any Forumstants fishing for contrarian brownie points.
I've seen on music forums or youtube comments boomers who burnt out in the 70s and just want to hear 2112 on loopnor something.

Aight, that makes sense. I saw Rush twice and some of the people who go to those shows are the real diehards, like frighteningly so, and everyone went nuts whenever they played the Moving Pictures songs. They even did a tour where they played the entire album beginning to end.

I love the album cover, and the music is the tops - Slade is on FIRE here. A part of me wishes we got to hear Nobody's Fool as it was meant to be originally. Would have been truly unreal:

>Lea originally envisaged "Nobody's Fool" to be a "twenty-minute extravaganza". However, the band later agreed to cut down the song to a more standard duration as it was felt that it would not appeal to the band's fanbase.[13]

Attached: Slade - Nobody's Fools.jpg (500x500, 39.52K)