Wtff

I just got to know that Elliott Smith is dead. I listened to 3 of his albums and i really liked them but somehow i didn't know he was dead.
Why did anyone tell me?
I also read there is a possibility it was murder. What do you think?

Attached: images (35).jpg (554x554, 20.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R57A8naur18
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who stabs themselves twice in the heart

his gf

just wait til you find out about kurt

Almost no chance it wasn’t her, the evidence is way more compelling than Courtney killed Kurt

the evidence is way more compelling but Elliott was also far more depressive than Kurt, who was already depressed as fuck lol

i find it hard to believe that someone who had spent the last two years on a serious trip to get better would end his life in the most awful way during the most sober period of his adult life

im not saying i know for sure, but i can believe it. the hardest part of quitting heroin for me was the months/ maybe even years that followed after the initial withdrawals. look up post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS)

Elliot really is the best, never get sick of his music and it's all so good. Its no breaking news sure but it is truly remarkable the absolute staggering volume of his work and how much of it is genuinely brilliant. Even his worst songs are actually light years apart from 99% of songwriters. It's genuinely depressing as a wannabe song writer that someone can have that much talent. It was hard for me to understand why people would rattle on about genius when it comes to musicians but jesus some of his compositions really convince me he was just built differently.

agreed on withdrawals being impossible to predict, but listening to live recordings from that time he just seems so alive and so much happier than ones from 2000-1

yes

>live recordings from that time he just seems so alive
he may have been better than 2000-2002 era recordings which were literally Hell-saga for him, but when you compare them to his 90s output he sounds like shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=R57A8naur18

This is one of his more beloved later era shows, and his voice is all shaky, hes muttering to himself, his guitar playing is still pretty good though but not the best. (havent watched this in a while) compare that to any of his 90s shows and it falls flat, IMO

i've got every show he ever played that was recorded, the 2003 ones are my personal favourite, extremely vulnerable but not unlistenable like 2000-1, 1998 was probably his golden year, so many amazing shows

>the 2003 ones are my personal favourite
as a major fan, i dont know how you could say that, but then again a lot of ES fans seem to love his Basement-era work. i think he peaked with Either/Or and then every album was worse than the last, except for Basement which had some gems but i dont even count that one since it was stitched together by friends and family after he died (im looking at you, Suicide Machine). he was a force to be reckoned with in the 90s, and i think he gave up some of that dark acoustic desperado sound to go in a more Beatles-y pop direction. it could also just be a symptom of aging and losing that teenage angst

i think it's just the career encompassing setlists and the perfect mix of performance and frailty, i'm not saying they're the best perfomances at all because he makes loads of mistakes but it just sounds so human

well, agree or disagree, i would have still liked to see him play any year ;_;

Attached: 1314576307170.jpg (525x481, 37.37K)

Kek

I’ve never listened to Elliott Smith. Where’s a good place to start?

probably Either/Or or you could just start with his first album, Roman Candle. the thing is Roman Candle and his self-titled albums are mostly self recorded on 4-tracks with very sparse instrumentation. Either/Or was at least recorded in a studio with a more typical rock band setup (entirely played by Elliott)

He's incredible, man, the goat. Such a tragedy people's takeaway from his music was that he was sad. I feel like people who compare phoebe bridgers to elliott smith are not fully seeing his craft. He was a badass composer. I actually lean towards Figure 8 being his magnum opus. It really sucks to not have another rock album like that from him. I'm not a huge fan of fictionalizing artists, dead or alive, but I can't help it at times in Elliott's case. Rip.

I KNOW MY PLAACCEEEE
I HATE MY FAACEEEE

i would listen to his self titled first. All of his later albums have more instrumentation and are more produced, not that they are necessarily worse, but s/t is just extremely pure