Boomer/rock myths that need to be deconstructed

A big one: The Beatles/Dylan invented the album format and before that was only singles

Wrong. Concept albums had existed since the birth of the stereo LP at the start of the 50s and arguably go back into the 78 era with stuff like Woodie Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads. Would you put on Kind of Blue and argue that Highway 61 Revisited was the "first" album? Of course you wouldn't.

Attached: 71ykYDQaQsL._SL1200_.jpg (820x820, 220.7K)

so boomers are consummate liars. who knew? and anyway the big transition in the 60s was that teen-oriented music like rock and R&B moved to the album format while LPs in the 50s were recordings of standards made for the adult audience; kids didn't buy those, they had singles.

My favorite boomer/rock myth is that punk was ever relevant

Donovan thinks he invented the Beatles and Dylan, so...

>yeah, m8, the Beatles, I tell ya they were nothing but a fookin' boyband until they met me

Ella needed to lay off the soul food. Just sayin'.

Should have just used laxatives like Satchmo did

Attached: s2uzWCcC6o0_LQqHRp-T11emyWnfDlclRfIH7RCd3CI.jpg (940x1200, 189.54K)

Rent free

>EVH invented tapping
No.

yeah fuck him. if anything the Beatles owed more to that copy of TFWBD they got in Paris and listened to for three weeks nonstop.

Ella Fitzgerald trying to do Beatles covers later on didn't really work either. Suffice to say she didn't "get" how to do rock vocals.

tonewood in electric guitars. boomers started this myth to justify wasting extra money on stuff and now many people believe in this even though it's scientifically proven to be false.

>yeah guys what wood was the guitar Clapton used to record Layla? I want to get that exact tone and need to know this.

That's not 1/5th as bad as Steve Hoffman Forum boomers asking "what cigarette brand was George smoking during the Abbey Road sessions? did it have any impact on how the music came out?"

the first Van Halen album and Priest's Stained Class both came out February '78 and both introduced tapping. a humorous coincidence.

Fuckin hell this. The amount of guitar dipshits I know who ask this sort of thing are gonna make me switch to bass for good.
Also, Clapton's Layla tone isn't even that special. It's good, but nothing to write home about. Now give me back my Op-Amp Big Muff Siamese Dream toan.

the tone they used on the first Blue Oyster Cult album, now that's classic

Too bad Satchmo's lips were pretty much toast by this point from all the years of improper trumpet technique.

Based

Even teenybopper acts like Lesley Gore did LPs that had more standards because the LP audience was mainly adults.

it was though? it largely shaped everything in rock from 78 onward.

I mean even he has said so

i think it's not appreciated much today that he was like the Jimi Hendrix of the jazz age, he was controversial in his youth in the 1920s because he did a lot of virtuoso solo-ing when jazz up to then had been ensemble playing. probably because the recording quality of his early period is poor and it's hard to get a feel for what he sounded like in his 20s.

The thing journalists and people in general want to paint this clear narrative in which the beatles and dylan did something and then everything changed automatically.
Other example is when they say that when smells like teen spirit came out all hair metal disappeared

they be like yeah first there was ELP and then there was punk which wasn't really what happen there either

it was more like punk was the logical conclusion of glam rock, the chart appeal of which faltered right around 1975 after 3 - 4 years of intense chart saturation in the UK.