It seems that nobody really gets the point of this record...

it seems that nobody really gets the point of this record. Twitter makes it out to be some grand leftist pariah shit that'll be aligned with black lives matter while people on here thinks it's a globohomo "kill the white man, we wuz kangs" type of project, but when listening to songs like the blacker the berry and so on it practically takes a piss on the victimizing and violent culture black people worship, the cover itself is supposed to represent the power fantasy blacks hold. What do you guys think?

Attached: d47a5880.jpg (600x600, 92.14K)

Why can't it be both?

It's both of those things and more, Kendrick Lamar has a lot of complex thoughts on a lot of things

Congratulations you've scratched the surface

for all we know it could probably be, but listening to it, it's most likely not, unless we're talking sounds like alright I guess.

yeah, it's far more than the initial message I slapped on it, but it doesn't seem to glorify it like what most people who told me about this record would have you believe.

yeah man kendrick totally actually hates black people and loves white people. the cover is ironic

That’s one of the things I’ve always appreciated about it. It’s a nuanced perspective in a world of shitty twitter takes

>yeah man kendrick totally actually hates black people and loves white people
nobody ever said this. Who's gonna listen to kendrick lamar and think "damn I want to destroy the white race".

honestly this, hip-hop is a genre rooted in commercial success and simply harmonic arrangements over intuitive rhythmic patterns, but there are very interesting records if you go and look. Some producers use sampling in a pretty gratifying way too, like the g-funk scene during the early/mid 90's in the west coast.

I love a good sample. He gets jerked-off on Any Forums a lot, but Kanye’s earlier stuff has some pretty beautiful instrumentals that feature some great soul samples.

>Kanye’s earlier stuff has some pretty beautiful instrumentals that feature some great soul samples
I concur, songs like we major are interesting harmonically. The song has a mixolydian and simply alternates the supertonic to a point where it practically sounds like a completely different progression upon the first listen, it's also pretty campy and filled with soul. His early stuff is the perfect for when you're craving some nostalgic early 2000's chipmunk soul.

bump

Yeah no one gives a fuck he sounds like a girl listen to kingpin Skinny Pimp instead of this faggot shit

>kingpin Skinny Pimp
based.

Self-hating white liberals probably

>Self-hating white liberals probably
nobody takes them seriously though, they're a bunch of losers.

this is a BASED take on this album. yes I agree. 100 percent also notice on the cover that all the negative stereotypical "black culture" is magnified whilst the little boy doing the fist is blurred out (positive symbol) whilst the negative is not. "we do this to ourselves and they (the media) have no problem with it but as soon as we try to lift ourselves up we get shot down" the title of the album just reinforces that,to pimp a butterfly is saying that blacks have to pimp(grab control) a butterfly (Movement change) to get out of the misery they are in.

You're 100% right and the response to this album is the most puzzling thing in all of modern pop music. People who love it should hate it, those who hate it should love it, I really don't know how it got to this point. It seems like people are intentionally misunderstanding it but that would imply they're aware of the actual message. The craziest part is, it's not even that complex or obscured. Kendrick speaks in no uncertain terms about the self destructive behavior of black culture (Wesley's theory) perpetual victimhood (institutionalized) malicious influences (for sale) trying to hard to fit in (you ain't gotta lie) and respect for your fellow man even when they belong to an opposing group/gang (the poem) plus the things you mention in the op. I think the response to this album is what really fucked him up mentally and led to Damn, and things in our society and culture getting even worse is what led to his writers block and eventual pessimism on Mr Morale

Part of me sees Kendrick as a coward for his lack of drops and the stances he takes on his new album but if I had achieved something so musically phenomenal and culturally potent like TPAB only for people to praise me for the exact wrong and opposite message that I intended I would probably have the same response. Everybody is fucking stupid and we don't deserve Kendrick operating at TPAB levels

I agree with everything you said. It’s interesting to me that he briefly hits on the whole “self-inflicted perpetual victimhood” thing on his new album with one of the Eckhart Tolle parts. I can sense his frustration. Everyone jerks him off and calls him a genius but totally whiffs on actually understanding his first three albums. I wonder how he felt watching “Alright” be turned into a generic black power anthem. I think he really wants to spread a positive message to his community but it just falls on deaf ears time and time again.

What's funny is Kendrick calls out perpetually online, rage addicted, identity politics obsessed people on the new album and even taunts them, white liberals especially, and it seems to be going over their heads too