How do i compose music that sounds like this

hi guys stemfag here. i am the worlds #1 rule follower with 0 artistic fire inside me. i can play classical guitar. i would like to compose music that sounds like picrel but it is so alien. how do i get stated

thanks in advice

Attached: 55157bca.jpg (300x300, 33.08K)

Good album, cant help you tho OP

buy a four track and delay pedal
also this sound isn't really in vogue anymore, i know you shouldn't care, but every band was sort of aping the lo fi sound of this and i'm sure someone could've helped you with this at one point

come up with well thought out and intresting guitar parts and sing pop melodies over them.
Its that easy!

go listen to the Walkmens first two albums for a bit then come back and listen to women again

its perennial - you just have to do it right when the field isnt thick with similar acts

Dude you outlined your own problem in the post but since you posted Women S/T I automatically like you so I'll try to give you some advice. If we're talking about Shaking Hand, then things get very complicated very fast. There's a delicate balance between consonances with it's constantly evolving chord progressions, and when compared with the rhythmic complexity of the constantly dueling time signature changes, given that the song opens in the most frenetic sounding 7/4 groove I've ever heard, almost slipping into something caught in limbo between 17/8 and 15/8, slipping comfortably into 4/4 and then slinking into this repeated pattern of 7/4 into a bar 12/8 over this repeating root/minor third singsong esque two note guitar phrase (This was stuck in my head for months at one point, Giles Corey also did something similar on The Haunting Prescence) which slips back into the original opening groove, switches back, and then slips back into 4 for the remainder of the song, coasting in the latter third but christ does this song open with pure whiplash. One of Women's most unique and stunning abilities is to twist consonances, pop structures and progressions, and simple musical bases into extremely knotty, complex and experimental forms, creating a completely unreplicated aesthetic. If I was going offer advice on how to capture shaking hand's essence... you can't. A song like Shaking Hand is a once in a generation idiosyncrasy that will go down as one of the greatest human compositions if women ever get their due diligence. However, some of the key aspects of the guitar phrasings lie in 16th note hammer-on's to create another rhythmic disorientation thrown into the balancing act, but remaining consonant by hammering to the major second. Utilize the sweeter ends of various modes of the major and minor scale (Dorian, Mixolydian) to create tension but utilizes intervals like the 6th and the major 3rd to maintain that sweet consonance.

HOWEVER, the most important aspect of creating something as idiosyncratic, instantly recognizable, and beautiful as Public Strain, which is my favorite piece of music ever created, is creativity, and if you're admitting that you can only follow directions then I simply can't help you. I can point in the direct of copycatting for a little bit longer though since it's fun even just to mimic the sounds that this group created. Outside of Shaking Hand, if you're looking to tap into the no-wave esque abrasions of the album, there's one above all else. All C# tuning. Pat Flegal employed this technique for Public Strain and almost definitely for the self titled. The slight tuning differences in each string create an extremely powerful resonance that lends itself to so many different aesthetics. It can be used to create dense, scraping, dissonant walls of guitar ala glenn branca with enough distortion and can actually create some really pretty and distinctly resonant melodies if used right by stacking octaves over and over again. The crux of the No Wave influenced songs on the album 100% lies in the scraping minor 2nd dissonances in the higher register of the metal strings creating a echoing, warped tone that you can't maintain anywhere else. I'll be lurking on this thread for some time so feel free to shoot me anymore questions. For now that's all I've got. As you can tell I'm a little obsessive about this band.

Ok yeah I'm really fucking autistic

Attached: 1023.jpg (700x508, 31.59K)

thanks for this lengthy yet detailed explanation. not OP but my favorite song of their is Lawncare, do you have any insights or comments on that one?

I could probably hum the melody to Eyesore if someone pointed a gun to my head and my life depended on it

lawncare is heavily based on the blasts of musique-concrete this heat style noise-scaping over the heavily brutish and simple percussive backdrop but what lies at the core of it is one repeated guitar line that opens with a stuttered opening note followed by a simple root to major second slide, down a fourth from the 2nd, into a pull off down from the third to the fourth (duh-duh, duh) duh-duh being the pull off and ending with the second note the first time, then down a fifth on the second cycle. It's a repeated push pull rhythm that loops in a steady consonance over the noise backed by Pat's uncanny yet pretty vocals, that echo through the soundscape until everything is eaten by the noise.

You're missing out. What do you listen to in terms of your favorite stuff?

I like Women too buddy

yeah, it always came off as a simple song. but I think its more obvious nod to 60's psychedelia is what really sold me, especially in the vocal delivery. I can get why people compared them to Deerhunter early on. Their sound has always been fucked though, but I mean that in a good way. God bless No Wave appreciating bands

How much are songs like shaking hand just different little pieces of songs put together?

what are some bands like women
any new ones in 2022?

I've been working on a Women inspired album for like 2 years now. The musics all done, I'm just too lazy to finish the vocals and lyrics.

Shaking Hand is an extremely tight composition that balances multiple different progressions and dynamics that are all directly interwoven into each other i:e the sequencing of the first switch from the 4/4 section to the 13/4 passage being directly linked melodically and rhythmically as evidenced by the opening guitar line being repeated over this section.

dude... use some fucking line breaks

Attached: 1636075877198.jpg (600x600, 37.19K)

but then you will tell me to go back to redit...?

also spend some time with Velvet Underground