Why is conscious hip-hop so corny and lame?

Why is conscious hip-hop so corny and lame?

Attached: common_photo_by_maarten_de_boer_getty_images_entertainment_getty_461469844.jpg (1200x1200, 171.35K)

Politics are lame

because rappers try to make "woke" rap instead of just saying real shit

It’s too tryhard

Most artists aren't well read, so they just parrot platitudes or CNN-tier reads of current events. Something like "Times are A-Changin" will last forever, whereas "Four dead in Ohio" sounds like cheesy bullshit now.

try hard and comes off as preachy. a lot of it is just so on the nose too and not cleverly woven into the lyrics

sing about me is a perfect example of real but not pretentious rap

He has a classic case of gay face.

Vinnie Paz will drop gems but keep things gangsta. Old school Ice Cube did the same.

Immortal Technique is full on conscious rap but not corny.

like... for real

how you gonna say you come from the hood and talk all about the good of being a drug dealer

if you from the hood then you gotta have an aunt, brother or cousin stuck in them drugs, you seen them grow being a "good" person and getting lost in that shit

so how you gonna tell me having a chain or a benz is great when you got that from poisoning your people?

talk real shit, bro. say it like it, talk bout them crack babies, talk bout the struggle. im not telling you to lie, im telling you: if you sell drugs, talk about the struggle. people calling police on you, your homies turning on you, them addicts doing anything, those who died before they could blossom, tell it like it is.

but to """rappers""" its all about a persona and real niggas (LIKE ME, IDGAF BOUT YOUR OPINION) can tell immediately if you real or not because its something we were trained for... if you fake i was trained to rob you.

music is not really a good medium for discussing complex social issues and always results in surface level institutional analysis ie. police bad, racism bad, crime bad etc.

This album is a classic tho. Haven't heard any of his other stuff, is he lame when he isn't being held up by Kanye?

Attached: Be_Common.jpg (953x953, 81.77K)

It's extremely boring to listen to.

Man you just skipped the question entirely

Real rappers is hard to find, like a remote

*blocks your path*

Attached: 61A-tGJmm2L._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 98.05K)

I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GAY

Conscious Rap pre 2006
>Talks shit about any politician, republican or Democrat
>Tell women they should be valued, but stop being whores
>acknowledge crime is bad and blacks in ghettos have to stop killing each other
>Anti-materialism
>References Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, Patrice Lamumba, Steve Diko, and Huey Newton
>Samples soulful jazz, gospel, and African folk music
>Good wordplay and intellectual

Consciousness rap post 2012
>"woke" crap
>Bought by democrats for rappers to promote their candidates only
>heavily censored
>It's now bad to tell women to not sexually explicit themselves or tell them not to be rude
>REPUBLICAN BAD! DEMOCRAT GOOD!
>Can't even tell today's youth to stay off drugs without being called "corny"
>Talk down to your fan base as if you're better than them, also out of touch
>Talks shit about capitalism, but drive around with Benz, Ferrari, and Hummer cars and live in rich areas with multi millions
>Black Panther movie, Obama, and MLK are the only examples of "black power" for people to look for answers
>literally lyrical miracle rhymes
>features mumble rappers and trap beats or sample soft rock songs
>panders to liberals

It got lame

conscious rappers dont want to make fun bangers, they want to push a message first and foremost. its a similar problem with most music that focuses more on being a vehicle for a message or ideology or whatever, like christian rock or overly political punk. its usually too preachy and they spend more time trying to write lyrics about their message and favorite cause rather than the melody or musical aspect of the song most of the time. on the flip side guys making dumb fun party songs or songs where lyrics arent necessarily "deep" are thinking about how the song sounds first and foremost

Good question, I don't know exactly but it really is corny. Maybe it's because it's child level "music" trying to be deep and wise

>music is not really a good medium for discussing complex social issues and always results in surface level institutional analysis ie. police bad, racism bad, crime bad etc.
You didn’t explain why it’s not a good medium.

It started as smart acidhead rappers spinning cool ideas but influenced a second generation of tryhards who just emulate without actually thinking as deeply about the lyrical content.

It's basically like neckbeards who try to talk about philosophy on social media after reading like two books and not giving the subject any real significant personal thought.