Mileage of influence?

out of all the 1980s psychedelia noise dream pop shoegaze whateverthefuck bands that are so fondly looked back on in recent times, these guys are probably the most boring ones to choose to listen to. It's the same late 50s-early 60s peak of wall of sound song structure with some mildly distorted guitars and loud drum machines coupled with the same dejected vocals spouting ronettes pastiches, on almost every single song. There's just not much to latch onto as a listener, and it gets tiring real quick for a full album's length. Yeah they have some wickedly catchy singles like happy when it rains but man is their sound empty when you listen to a full LP, especially on psychocandy.
This isn't a post that's denying their massive influence, they manage to break some doors, and their carefully crafted image went a long way in maintaining their longevity. But it's the textbook example of influence running out of mileage, and sounding outright weak when compared with their ''competition'' and even moreso what they spawned.They represent a fascinating historical microcosm, the context behind the records is worth reading into, but there's just not much of a point in really paying attention to the music itself, not enough meat on the bones, and the endless gushing about the purely musical side of their run is closer to parroting platitudes than much dissection. It would be like if MBV kept doing the beach boys impression on moon song from the tremolo ep for the rest of their discography and never evolving past that one trick.
Anyway, i'd be curious to hear how Any Forums is evaluating the jesus and mary chain, and you can post similar ''big influences'' that have aged poorly to keep the discussion on the topic going.

Attached: JAMC.jpg (900x542, 110.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gc4-M7UwcDE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Couldn't agree more, but it grows on you after multiple listens.

never liked the production on psychocandy, so it never stuck. recently i enjoyed listening to darklands quite a bit though

See it was the opposite for me. I remember a few songs off darklands sticking around in my head at age 17, seeming like it was one hell of a record at that time. But as i revisited them again and again, their schtick revealed itself to be painfully thin. If repeated listens were akin to peeling back a vegetable's layers with a knife, then relistening to JAMC was the equivalent of peeling back one layer to find a core made of hard steel, with the unforeseen contact between the knife and the steel releasing this intensely grating shrill that pierces your eardrums into unleashing an ocean of blood out of it.
Beyond the digressions, it's not awful. It's just lackluster.

I disagree with everybody here, which is sad to see. When I was 18 Psychocandy was my favorite album ever. I was very depressed and alienated at the time, and the way it combined these depressive vocals, lyrics about isolation, vicious noise, and beautiful melodies rising above the noise perfectly captured what I felt. Something's Wrong is my favorite song on it, and I still think it's one of the best noise rock songs of all time. You Trip Me Up and My Little Underground are also great.

The long OP post is just bullshitting. There's a reason this album is still so influential, and people aren't faking. I find it sad that you feel the need to attack it just because it doesn't resonate with you. Pavement, The Cure, Blur, Black Flag, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and The Strokes don't resonate with me, but I can respect that people love them. I sincerely think you're an extremely small minded person.

I really don't think that i'm being vitriolic or disrespectful to the fans of jamc, there wasn't any name-calling or cheap baiting, though i was exaggerating here to keep with the Any Forums spirit. I made the original post to open a door for dialogue concerning bands that laid a template and managed to have been completely beaten on a pure album making level by others in the genre, yet have still kept their relevancy as canonical rites of passage that you should listen to. My gripe isn't that they're unlistenable, but that they're not as substantial as albums held in that regard should be. Their impact was huge, and it worked in the context of the times, but what about timelessness?
I genuinely want to know what it is that you yourself find so enamoring about them, what makes you return to their music. An exchange of ideas and opinions in good faith. And if me disagreeing with their status seems like a small minded stance to you, then so be it.

Attached: honky.png (633x402, 193.26K)

bump

I actually like them the most, along with Spacemen 3

You're really nitpicking a couple songs from their first album that only vaguely resembles the ronettes in anyway.

And even when comparing them to 60s music they're still incredibly unique

it's not a comparison, they talked about this themselves. they use throwback pop songwriting from that era.

That's still comparing the writing bro

Cocteau Twins outsold

Psychocandy = one of the 11 greatest records literally of all time

no it's not. it's fucking terrible. can't stand even a second of it. Stoned and Dethroned on the other hand... now THAT'S an album worth listening to

Nah. Won’t make me buy it. Lol
This is better youtu.be/gc4-M7UwcDE

which records?

Delusional twitterfag

bumps

Correct, listen to AR Kane instead

Attached: 69.jpg (600x600, 91.21K)

>It's the same late 50s-early 60s peak of wall of sound song structure with some mildly distorted guitars and loud drum machines coupled with the same dejected vocals spouting ronettes pastiches, on almost every single song
That's what i like about it

Stop making posts you schizo.