James Williamson is a better guitar player than Ron Asheton, FACT

James Williamson is a better guitar player than Ron Asheton, FACT

Attached: 274px-RawPower[1].jpg (274x274, 12.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r1OCyQwB3N8
youtube.com/watch?v=FVILqs8eOqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck no. Williamson was only hired because he looked "cool", which he didn't really since he was just another Keith Richards wannabe

Better soloist at least

Better in which way? Better technique? More sophisticated?

Asheton's relative unsophistication was his strength, his primitive sound utterly unique. He was clearly far more important for The Stooges than Williamson ever was.

That said, Williamson seems to be able to get the best out of Iggy every time they work together (New Values!) and he's a terrific musician and writer.

Williamson wrote better riffs, bursting with wild energy. Asheton was very uncreative in that regard, although I loved his use of fuzz and wah pedals.

They both are great but Williamson never played this
youtube.com/watch?v=r1OCyQwB3N8

I am better guitarist than either of those guys.

you're also 50 years too late

He might be 'better' but Fun House is about 10x as good as Raw Power

I've always though that Raw Power was their second album and Fun House their third. I've got it backwards and so did they. Raw power sounds like a regression from fun house. It's much simpler and primitive but not in a good way really. I mean, it just goes better Self Titled (garage Debut)> Raw Power (Raunchier, faster and angrier)> Fun House (Full pyschodelia wah jam free improvisation madness)

Stop embarrassing yourselves. Nobody seriously believes this.

What fag I like tv eye, 1970, down the street and alright more than what i like Search and destroy. Fum house is pure furios wah fueled pysch madness. Raw pqwoer is nuta but sounds just like harsh blues rock punk rock. Raw power is great and it's crazy loud fast punkish hard rock but Funhouse feels so much bigger and crazier. Like an infernal acid trip gone wrong

Raw power is like a different band from the Stooges, it's more like the first solo Iggy album than anything. Just say you don't like The Stooges and move on

Williamson is a more conventionally skilled lead guitarist. Asheton always played like a bluesy rhythm guitarist.

I think Asheton was perfect for the first two Stooges albums, but I get why Iggy moved him to bass on Raw Power - it's a more conventional rock album. The first couple Stooges albums were meant to be a primal, avant-garde take on the blues. The third was done as practically a British glam/hard rock album, despite the players all being American.

Also, we should note how the lineup actually came to be. Raw Power was originally intended to be Iggy Pop's first solo album. Bowie's people introduced him to Williamson, and the two hit it off really well, Bowie loved his playing. They auditioned a bunch of British drummers but couldn't find a single one Iggy liked. He knew he liked Scott Asheton's playing, so he recruited Scott, and since he also loved Ron as a rhythm player, they figured they might as well recruit Ron as well. Iggy was actually very uncomfortable with it being labeled "Iggy & The Stooges" initially because he didn't want people to perceive it as another Stooges record, since it was a very different style of music. However, they decided to use The Stooges in the name for marketing purposes, to appeal to The Stooges' old fanbase, which while niche, was sizable enough to make up the original punk movement. So Ron never got demoted, he literally got recruited for the first Iggy solo album.

My three favorite Iggy albums are Raw Power, Fun House, and The Idiot, and I don't really care to compare them and proclaim one better than the others since they're all so different.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 12.33.18 PM.png (374x614, 227.99K)

:)

I agree. Guitar solos in Raw Power feel more like flashy classic blues rock, while Ron Asheton's solos were more on the Sister Ray-ish psychedelic/noise side

I'm not a big Stooges fan at all but I can say that Search and Destroy and Gimme Danger are god tier songs with excellent guitar playing. I also enjoy Kill City which features Iggy and James and might as well be a Stooges album because they were what made Raw Power any good.

Ron Asheton is cool but only in the sense that every decent rock guitarist is cool. Wrote some important songs but wasn't particularly interesting. I can think of a slew of guitarists from their era that are much better.

I still don't understand why they didn't use this cut in the final song list, this and Asthma Attack. they clearly could have used a longer album than 34 min

Against all odds a member of the stooges became a high ranking executive at Sony

In '71, between Fun House and Raw Power, Asheton and Williamson both played guitar together in The Stooges, while Jimmy Recca played bass.

Asthma Attack was just nonsense, basically the same as L.A. Blues

They should just have released the songs with the full Ron solos, they are on the 50th anniversary remaster and it's amazing, it elevates the debut so much that it makes it their best album
youtube.com/watch?v=FVILqs8eOqc