Why is the fact that good music doesn't need time to "click" so hard for people to understand...

Why is the fact that good music doesn't need time to "click" so hard for people to understand? If its good it'll sound good every listen.

Attached: 1143350.jpg (1106x1012, 90.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's either your IQ going up from listening to something actually good or it's your IQ dropping from listening to shit. Simple as

Depends of your IQ and level of music appreciation. A trap song can be easily catchy to most music listeners, but a more experimental song may only catch at it's first listen to more attentive, experimented and advanced listeners. Others may find it confusing or boring at first but after several listenings you can start understanding it. Happens with most philosophy books too.

You're both fucking hopeless if you think is even remotely a thing.

it takes time for some things to garner appreciation from others

Attached: 1615322145851.gif (46x48, 5.61K)

As you listen to more music it becomes easier to digest more experimental music, if you're not ready for that sort of thing it might take a while to make sense.

Wrong, if you don’t like it in your first or at least second listen, you are never going to like it

Stop doing drugs!

>it becomes easier to digest more experimental music
This is what I don't get, plenty of "experimental" stuff sounds great on first listen. If it sounds bad, its bad.

Just because I get used to the sound of traffic or a jackhammer outside after hearing it all day, doesn't means its pleasant.

Attached: 1642564043654.jpg (400x400, 26.22K)

>Why is the fact that good music doesn't need time to "click" so hard for people to understand?
Because it’s not a fact.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

It's not that the music is inherently unpleasant and you're just getting used to it, but it might be abrasive, cacophonic, or just plain weird and it takes time to understand what the appeal might be (e.g. complex time signatures, production, etc.)

idk it just clicked and i liked it. i liked it, therefore i think it's good

Good music is music where every aspect of the song is doing something interesting. There's no way you're going to hear what the bass player is doing while also paying perfect attention to what the drummer and guitarist are doing at the same time. For me at least, the way it works is I listen to a song once and pay attention to the most obvious parts, then on following listens I start to pay attention to the background stuff until I've heard the song enough times that I can listen to it and appreciate everything that's going on in it at once.

But some music is just good the first time you hear it, like this
youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

You're a moron.

This autistic, childlike mindset (fixed mindset, resistance to growth, refusal to acknowledge any impression other than the first) is the reason why there are so many grown adults out there still listening to rap and teenybopper pop. Every child prefers candy to steak. Does this mean that sour patch kids are objectively better than filet mignon?

There is no musical experience more fulfilling than hearing a piece of music that you previously disliked or were ambivalent toward in a new context and realizing that it is actually brilliant and that you had failed to find the value before. It’s reorienting and it feels amazing. I genuinely feel sorry for anybody who has never experienced this before.

>If its good it'll sound good every listen.
This entire argument falls apart as soon as you are asked to identify music that everybody agrees sounds good on the first listen.

Ok hipster.

does everything have to be pleasant for you to like it? some dissonance and ugliness can be used for big effect but until you're familiar with the music it can be jarring
also some stuff can just have a lot going on and take a few listens to unpack even if it was a nice first listen it just gets better and better

Person A: Likes Bach on first listen but dislikes Lil Pump

Person B: Likes Lil Pump on first listen but dislikes Bach

Is Bach good music or is Lil Pump good music?

>everyone has different opinions on what good is so therefore nothing can be good

If you don’t like at least one element of a song on the first listen, it’s just bad. And if you need to listen to it multiple times you are brainwashing yourself into thinking it is good, probably because other people told you it was good.
This is the only reason people “like” a lot of Any Forumscore

OP is right, kiddies. There has never been a person whose taste has genuinely changed between childhood and old age, and anybody who claims that theirs has is just pretending for hipster cred on a web message board for virgins.

There is objectively good music that EVERYBODY agrees sounds good on the first listen (i.e. rap, K-pop, Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, “Somebody that I Used to Know” by Gotye). Anybody who claims that they “grew out of” this music is lying.

There is also objectively bad music which sounds like shit the first time you hear it and which requires “““context”” in order to “““appreciate””” (i.e. classical, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, Krautrock, jazz, pretty much any music made before 1963). Anybody who claims to have “““developed a taste””” for this garbage is also lying.