People who write about their private little affairs really are imbeciles. It's the abomination of literary mediocrity...

>People who write about their private little affairs really are imbeciles. It's the abomination of literary mediocrity, particularly quite recently, that makes people believe that to create a novel, for example, it suffices to have some personal story — one's grandmother who died of cancer, or someone's personal love affair — and then they write a novel based on this. It's shameful to think like that.
Same goes for music and other arts. Soulfags BTFO'd.

Attached: 1643834508390.png (900x1001, 947.06K)

That second rate thinker is talking about literature fucking faggot piece of shit

if grand narratives will inevitably be deconstruced what else do we have to share but the little human experiences??? how else will we communicate? expression literally cannot happen in a vacuum

>Same goes for music and other arts.

Illiterate

Maybe he's criticizing the lack of substance in those personal stories, not their use per se. Talking from experience is not enough to create compelling art. You need to tap into something greater than yourself and your little world in order for people that doesn't know or care about you to get invested in your work.

>selfie timeline vs fine art

It's a fair point but everyone deserves to live their life. Most people aren't demanding that their output be considered with the same lens so what's his fucking problem. Talent is a rare thing.

I think more likely he's just smelling his own farts.

Well that would be ironic, because, ultimately, that's exactly what he's criticizing

Proust would like to have a word with you, fucking loser. Anyway, im sure he was thinking of a few novels in particular when he said this but you have to be careful when you make such general grand statements as a public figure, cause you'll get posted on Any Forums and look like an idiot.

I'm tired of all the overly personal music that exists today so I agree with him to some extent

>He thinks Deleuze is a first order thinker
You must think the same about other contemporary thinkerd like Adorno, Zizeck, Foucault or Derrida, right?

He wrote a book about Proust, get a grip lol. All autofiction is trash and La Recherche isn’t autofiction.

He is, it's a statement that a personal story is not inherently good literature and the facts and experiences as they happened are rarely compelling or interesting. There's no room for pathos, for the reader to interpret. It's like some schizo on a bus going into their fucked up life story, one you've already heard from every other schizo on a bus.

In music it would be how a crafted narrative leads one to feel while a personal account tells you how some asshole felt, therefore how to feel. It's only when you generalize into the metanarrative and leave room for interpretation that one can reach an intended effect.

Yes, alright, but...why should I care what a leftist has to say?

Not muh-sic.

Attached: mr (1).jpg (550x550, 95.95K)

The "tapping into something greater" ends up just as likely with some abstract thesis novel devoid of all relatability (in a broader sense than just finding ones little life mirrored), or some Battlefield Earth type dross where generic mannequin troopers are put on generic plot rails leading through generic warehouse scenery. Plenty of those types of "work" out there - they specifically are not about your little life, because they are about noone's life. They don't matter to anyone, which is not a good thing.
> the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life

The Concrete is a good starting point, to allow people to remember and connect something from their own pool of experience, ideally presented in such a specific manner that it manages to tickle our senses with re-cognition.
The Concrete can be a dead-end when it only consists of a naturalist catalog of the banal, your kitchen sink, not my kitchen sink at that.
Best case: finding communality, see I'm not alone! Worst case: why would I care about you?

As always the art lies in the How not the What.

Our songs commonly have "lyrics". Dig?

STORIES BASED ON REAL EXPERIENCES ARE...LE BAD!

All he's saying is that stories bring "sincere" or "honest" don't make them inherently good. This is what separates an artist like Daniel Johnston from hipster imitators who think that strumming a g-chord and singing simple melodies into a toys r us microphone is good because it's "genuine", completely missing the theory and craftsmanship that went into his music and belittling him with descriptors like "naive" or "childlike".
tl;dr your life is not interesting enough to warrant an engaging story. You need to apply storywriting skills and creativity.

you can't possibly imagine every situation in your head - and if you do, it would only make sense on paper. but yeah, artists now days share a little bit too much, but if they didn't they'd still write the same songs, just way more cheesier.
only the smartest find that in-between