Thoughts on this album by Katatonia?

Pic related.

Attached: 100000x100000-999.jpg (1500x1500, 1.51M)

The best one of their alt metal era, my favorite album, from my angsty years along with Fear of a Blank Planet

It's the best thing they released in the 2000s, but basically any other ep or album from the 90s with maybe the exception of the last one in 99 is better.

It's my least favorite of theirs but it speaks volumes about how highly I think of their discography when I consider the album that gave us Leaders, Soil's Song, Increase and Journey Through Pressure their low point. Also Unfurl if we're counting bonus tracks. Really, I just find it very samey to sit through all at once, moreso than any of their other albums.

Its good. One of their bleaker mid-era works.

Love the drumming on that album, he plays riffs with his kit.

How would you rank this below Dead End Kings and their last album? Shit I even forgot its name

Funny you choose those. I actually adore Night is the New Day passionately and Dead End Kings basically feels like a brighter version of that album while City Burials feels like a sort of return to it. The Fall of Hearts is actually my least favorite from that era, it's generally good but has some bloated, eyebrow-raising moments for me.

I also don't like Viva Emptiness much because of its angsty lyrics so from their alt metal era I'd rank TGC first and Last Fair Deal Gone Down second

Viva Emptiness was my first one and I like the energy of it. I can see the angst being a bit much but I have that positive, semi-nostalgic association with it. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is wonderful though. It, Night is the New Day and Brave Murder Day make up my personal top 3.

>has some bloated, eyebrow-raising moments for me.
wtf does that mean

I use to listen to that album and NITND all the time but now they just sound kind of lame to me. There are still a couple of songs I like on there, though. I also still like their really old stuff.

True Brave Murder Days is undeniably their best, love Mikael's vocals on that one

>they just sound kind of lame to me
Waht do you mean by this?

Album's like 70 minutes long and it didn't really need to be. I think they were really trying to break out of their comfort zone and deep into progressive rock territory. A lot of it worked, some of it didn't, and I think they managed to make more concise releases in both Dead End Kings and City Burials while still expressing much of what did work on Fall of Hearts. There are just random bits of instrumentals here and there that lose my interest, and in particular I've never cared much for Serac as a whole. Probably a bottom 5 Katatonia song personally.

>Waht do you mean by this?
I mean they sound like angsty shit for teenagers, like Linkin Park or Korn.

True but their music is way better

Those albums are better than anything either of those bands have made except maybe the first Korn album, but to be fair even they couldn't properly replicate that one.

Katatonia sounds more like HIM than these bands

Never got into HIM. Loved bands like Lacuna Coil, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride but overlooked those guys pretty much entirely. Did I miss anything there?

Not really, they are quintessential mallgoth band

I see.

I'r decommend late era Sentenced and Tiamat for similar style

I'll look into those. Thanks.