/metal/ general

Storrsson edition
previously on /metal/: FAQ: pastebin.com/vHeAR1Bt

Attached: 0014385285_10.jpg (1200x1200, 493.52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gDOEj3supB8
vocaroo.com/19M1EKq38CWV
youtube.com/watch?v=uryRdqFdvhw,
youtube.com/watch?v=RfRJqBQ5eTM
youtube.com/watch?v=nngZqwj074I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He looks really dorky, just like me.

vocaroo.com/19M1EKq38CWV

THREAD THEME

How can an album have this much soul?

Attached: images (3).jpg (554x554, 66.09K)

tranny band

Tearing through some of my backlog tonight. Almost done with Vektor's first demo, dubs decides what I BLAST next.

Bill Ward - When the Bough Breaks
Blood Incantation - Timewave Zero
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Entombed - Morning Star
Extol - Burial
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Fight - War of Words
God Dethroned - The Christhunt
Mentors - You Axed for It!
NEDXXX - NEDXXX
Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
Rainbow - On Stage
Revenant - The Burning Ground
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Sortsind - More Days
Vektor - Demolition
Venom - From the Very Depths

Attached: altars happy.jpg (205x113, 16.06K)

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within

didn't ask

only difference is that he cooked up a nasty viking metal album, and you're posting on a mongolian shuffleboard forum

Hmm whats a modern metal band that has that problem that you are describing? I think I might know what you mean, but I don't want to just assume and end up talking past you lol. I find a lot of modern recordings do tend to sound more like they lack the "echo" that ends up sounding like real music in a real room, I hear it with stuff like Deep Purple but its rare to hear it in modern day as much. Speaking of Bathory he (Quorthon) has probably my favourite metal drum sounds ever despite being a literal drum machine lol youtube.com/watch?v=uryRdqFdvhw, normally I'm not too bothered with how drums are but Bathory has this way of making them absolutely pound into your skull non stop. Amazing stuff. Although thats just for raw aggression anyways, Chasing Shadows by Deep Purple is another favourite of mine for memorable drumming sound youtube.com/watch?v=RfRJqBQ5eTM

I'm going to make a demo.

Well take for instance the trend of nuOSDM bands like Cerebral Rot and Mortiferum. They sound immediately more imposing and heavy than the preceding bands they purportedly imitate. However I take issue with how their mixes fill up the entire midrange of the sonic spectrum and leave very little 'room.' It has the effect of making that heaviness just static after a minute or so. Then you go listen to Privilege of Evil by Amorphis and it feels more like everything has its own sonic niche, and the fast/aggressive parts actually provide contrast to the slow/atmospheric bits.
Good call on the Batlord song. It sounds shitty but I absolutely love it. I think on some albums it was a drum machine but augmented with real, recorded drums.

based "I'm making a demo" poster

I can't play a note but I'm going to make the artwork first. First step: Buy a $500 wacom tablet for handpainted digital artwork. Then I will need to learn to draw before making the music.

Attached: exmortes.jpg (350x356, 17.4K)

DM (at least regular DM) isn't a genre I know super duper well but Cerebral Rot sounds like a modern take to Bolt Thrower's production right? Its just this giant wall of distortion at all times, except not a muffled mess like Bolt Thrower is. I actually don't really mind the production, it has the wall of sound but I can still pick things out pretty clearly. Although I think sometimes the guitar is a bit weak when its not at full charge. Its hard to tell because the bands that remind me of Bolt Thrower get so distorted to fuck and usually makes the guitars overrun the entire song plus you have the gutturals adding to that wall of sound. Amphoris reminds me more of the earlier DM sound with stuff like Death, where the overall tone is higher compared to Bolt Thrower's wall of mid distortion that overruns everything.

I think Cerebral rot was a bit boring, but I find a lot of classic DM a bit boring (more of a Nocturnus/Athiest guy myself). However production wise it wasn't bad if they were looking to have that BT style, at least I could hear stuff slightly better than BT's Realm of Chaos.

Based

>Modern metal has bad productio-
youtube.com/watch?v=nngZqwj074I

Based