Best books about music? just read pic rel

best books about music? just read pic rel

Attached: 511PAQ3WZVL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (301x499, 34.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9-xqK-F8dhA
youtube.com/watch?v=n4Jnja0ry5U
youtube.com/watch?v=IvsD-YUxVpM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's fun, but I honestly recommend The Velvets to the Voidoids over it. The scope of Please Kill Me is what makes it impressive, it's like having 100+ of the most significant punk people reminiscing. However, I also find the effect is a little shallow. The Velvets to the Voidoids is more in depth about the proto-punk and artsy New York punk bands, all about what they were working on and why, their artistic inspirations, and so on.

I really like Richard Hell's autobiography, I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp, it's beautifully written and reads like a novel.

For arts criticism, this book by Guy Mankowski is wonderfully written, all about the environmental and cultural influences of some of the most interesting and characteristically British alternative artists, from Bowie to The Jam, to Suede, to Massive Attack, to The Libertines, to Patrick Wolf. It really paints a cultural/artistic universe of Britain. Along similar lines, the greatest music critic I know is Mark Fisher, who's also a political theorist (if you know the meme of accelerationism, he's actually responsible for its leftist variant lol), and I was almost going to post his music criticism collection, K-Punk.

Attached: jhp5e722a8b83a43-1.jpg (1654x2551, 927.58K)

Transformer: The Complete Lou Reed Story
Patti Smith: An Unauthorized Biography
both by Victor Bockris
NICO: The End by James Young
Last Gang in Town: The Story and Myth of the Clash by Marcus Gray
Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon

As somebody who was there, this book tells it exactly the way it was.

Have you read this one, too? By the lead singer of The Senders, Philippe Marcade. Not as well known as a lot of the CBGB's bands, but they were there in the early days.

Attached: 81nRv7sK0pL.jpg (1600x2400, 436.23K)

I read this when I was in high school a long time ago. Recently found my copy and been itching to read it again as i have much more appreciation for a lot of the bands and artists discussed in the book

-Joe Carducci - Rock and the Pop Narcotic
-DAVID CAVANAGH - GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD RIDDANCE How Thirty-Five Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Life
-Our Band Could Be Your Life - Michael Azerrad
-Simon Reynold book about electronic music (for a rockist take)

I have not seen this one.
I know the name The Senders, but never heard any of their stuff. Definitely gonna check this out.

They were a decent uptempo R&B band, one of my older friends played guitar with them in the early 80's. They often served as Johnny Thunders' backup band for his solo shows. RIP Basile.
youtube.com/watch?v=9-xqK-F8dhA
youtube.com/watch?v=n4Jnja0ry5U

Simon Reynolds books
England's Dreaming - Jon Savage
Krautrocksampler/Japrocksampler

not op but i think a lot of those books are available on soulseek

The Politics of Rock Music - John Orman

>Joe Carducci - Rock and the Pop Narcotic
ive always wanted to read this from seeing it referenced in other books (esp simon reynolds stuff) but whenever i see copies pop up the prices are insane, anyone know of a downloadable version

Is the title a reference to pic related? England's Hidden Reverse is pretty much required reading if you're really into the UK industrial scene.

Attached: EHR.jpg (600x800, 534.31K)

Kino, plain and simple.

Attached: 506DE9A0-E9DC-4BE7-A17B-D3D65916F8D5.jpg (1933x2592, 3.13M)

I'm assuming we all have a copy of Our band could be your life, right?
I'm thinking about copping yours OP, England's dreaming too

cop this too, chief .
Manson and the CIA's involvement with the LA music scene like you've never seen before.

Good stuff.
Very raw, high energy.
None of the members went on to become part of Johnny Thunder's Gang War, did they?
It seems like they'd fit right in if they did.

All speculation and conjecture meant to provoke the spergs, aspies and schizos that lurk Any Forums
No actual basis in history or reality.
Read with a grain of salt, and realize where all the
>HURR DURR CIA CIRCUS MUSIC
threads come from

Steve Ignorant-... And The Rest Is Propaganda
The Best Seat In The House: A Cock Sparrer Story by Steve Bruce

England's Dreaming is quite thorough.
A very good read.

I don't think so, but definitely same vibe.
youtube.com/watch?v=IvsD-YUxVpM

It's only like 30 bucks on Amazon. You can "borrow" ebooks on archive.org, I read another one of Carducci's books there they might have that.