Why were albums from the 90s so fucking long?

Why were albums from the 90s so fucking long?

Attached: Superunknown.jpg (820x820, 66.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xA80Yu8uXi4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

unironically to fill the CD
before, 40 min max was the perfect length to mantain good quality audio on vinyl

Why were albums from the 2010's so fucking long?

Attached: 0021401194_10.jpg (1200x1200, 70.91K)

go back to radiohead and your pop 40 mins. album format, moron

People at the 90's either have the talent to make very long albums, or they were pretentious enough to think they have the talent to make very long albums (mainly the latter)

So angry lol, smoke some cush and chill

Because we liked music instead of 2.5 minute TikTok videos, homo.

Defensive lol. Why on earth should a punk record be an hour long?

because they contain different enough songs from each other that complement a concept as a whole and even songs that were masterpieces individually like these
youtube.com/watch?v=xA80Yu8uXi4

I agree that +60 minutes regular punk albums are inherently bad though

Yeah but Soundgarden's music isn't very different. They just do their psychy grunge stuff over and over again.

pretty much, I don't get why bands like soundgarden or smashing pumpkins tried to do overly ambitious albums when it was obvious they were not going to live to said ambition, the only mainstream band that I think they nailed this was NIN, and even then the fragile is not perfect as far as consistency goes

People's attention spans were short, but not obliterated like today.

labels didn't want to waste playtime

The answer is actually this, CDs being a newfangled thing and artists wanted to maximize its utility. For whatever reason OP posted one of the few 70 minute albums from the 90s that actually was good enough to justify the length.

yep. Pete from Type O is on record saying that they tried to fill out the entire runtime of their CDs in order to give people the most bang for their buck.

40min is long by zoomer standards.

I can listen to soundgarden non stop, until that faggot starts singing and ruins it.

fpbp, the CD was created to hold 74 minutes of music because Sony wanted it to be able to hold the entirety of Beethoven's 9th symphony on one disc. Bands and musicians took advantage of it in every way. They made albums that were 70 minutes long, they made albums with a bunch of interludes and skits, they made albums with hidden tracks... I'm glad that era is over, seems like most people agree 40-50 minutes is the sweet spot.

non zoomer attention span oriented products

if you don't love chris's vocals YOU'RE the faggot

Yeah, but I'm a top, unlike him.