/jazz/

Post your recent listens, discoveries, live shows you've seen and your thoughts about them. Or anything else jazz related.

Attached: 676996769.jpg (1500x1500, 863.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_KO9mjSJjBo
youtube.com/watch?v=qKWeQG-LOZY
youtube.com/watch?v=scKRl61wxNw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to support /jazz/ threads but I have nothing to say at the moment, so here' a bump.

Attached: jazz.png (976x236, 46.99K)

went to a record release gig today, pretty cool minimalistic piano trio music

it's nice to be able to see live music again

Attached: joona-toivanen-both-only.jpg (1199x1200, 191.11K)

i hate the standard april in paris

Attached: 81W1N7jzmSL._SS500_.jpg (500x500, 47.12K)

more new releases from today that I'm going to listen to right now

new album from Binker and Moses
not too crazy about the idea of adding electronics to their music, but maybe it'll work out.

it's interesting that this was engineered by Hugh Padgham, I don't think he's worked too much on jazz albums.

Attached: binker-moses-feeding-the-machine.jpg (1200x1200, 187.82K)

eh, that one didn't make much of an impression - at least the didn't go overboard on the electronics, but I think some of the earlier B&M albums were much stronger

next up from today's releases, french saxophonist Sylvain Rifflet featuring Verneri Pohjola on trumpet: Cake Walk from a Spaceship

I thought Rifflet's medieval music inspired Troubadours with also Pohjola on some tracks from a few years back was very good, so my expectations are pretty high

Attached: rifflet-pohjola-cake-walk.jpg (1000x1000, 777.09K)

fuck is your problem?

what standards do you like?

idk
i just dont like how the melody just hangs over the bar line three times in a row, and the harmonic movement isnt interesting to me either
nardis, there will never be another you, all the things you are

was there any discussion on Any Forums about the recent passing of James Mtume?

pick up pretty much any album Mtume played percussions on in the 70's and you'll hit spiritual jazz or fusion gold (if you happen to take one of the Miles ones)

youtube.com/watch?v=_KO9mjSJjBo

Attached: buddy-terry-pure-dynamite.jpg (600x600, 92.55K)

Try monk’s solo version

nah man....

/criss cross/ gang

Attached: davidbinney.jpg (1200x1200, 739.45K)

these cover reworks are really annoying, as cool as they are in the abstract. Actually recognizing the album and not mixing it with some classic Blue Note release has actual value.

didn't actually listen to this one yet, so I'll spin it next

on the topic of the cover, I think it's amusing that Gerry Teekens kicking the bucket seems to have made the CC cover photos even worse

Attached: binney-glimpse.jpg (1200x1200, 193.97K)

no discussion i can remember
quite like this album that he played on
youtube.com/watch?v=qKWeQG-LOZY

Attached: 81JtBGin57L._SL1500_.jpg (1481x1500, 313.66K)

early 70's Gato is pure fire - I was actually listening to these Gato albums a lot in recent weeks after doing a retrospective listening of Mtume's perc appearances

that mix of latin american influences and free jazz fire in his blowing is great. I have almost all of Gato's early albums on vinyl, actually just found In Search of the Mystery last week crate digging.

Attached: barbieri-under-fire.jpg (600x597, 92.61K)

here's a sample track from Under Fire for your consideration
youtube.com/watch?v=scKRl61wxNw

vinyl reissue when

Attached: mtume-umoja.jpg (600x600, 183.34K)

on the Mtume topic, I think Eddie Henderson's Heritage has to be one of the most underappreciated jazz albums of the 1970's - it's like a perfect blend of Hancock's Mwandishi and Headhunters bands playing music like Donald Byrd's 70's masterpieces

if the anons who have been digging Freddie Hubbard's CTI albums recently are around, you need to check this one out

Attached: henderson-heritage.jpg (600x599, 146.76K)

The cover photos are worse but so far the music is actually better than what Gerry was putting out the last few years so I’ll take that tradeoff